2013 NFL Whipping Post

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Unbelievable end to the Ravens game. Defense looks stellar for 57 minutes, becomes porous mess the last 3. Flacco looks like a superstar and makes up for it.

Hard to believe that with 3 games left, the entire AFC (save Houston) is still in contention for the playoffs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

wayfriend wrote:Pats have been in real trouble all along. They play like a team that should be 5 and 8. Somehow they are 10 and 3. So, while it doesn't seem that they can do well in the playoffs ... I can't really say they won't.
they are just incredibly lucky the browns didn't get five yards closer..............
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm normally not a "fan" of official-blaming.
But, it SEEMS, and it might be a mistaken impression, that
the last 2 seasons at least there have been more than usual number
of wins due to demonstrably bad calls...
Pats and Ravens both got those this week, I think. I only saw the shaky end of the Pats...maybe the questionable balanced out over the whole game.
But the Ravens game I saw all of. Vikes got screwed.
The last few minutes were fun as hell, though, for entertainment value.
And Cordarrelle Patterson has been an exciting freaking rookie. I hope he keeps it up.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I followed a couple of the games. Thursday night Bengals routed the Colts. The question is, can the Bengals do well in the post season? Which Andy Dalton will show up? The Colts seem destined to clinch their division but I dont expect them to go far.

Falcons/GB. The Falcons again let one slip through their fingers. The first half they were killing it, the second half they couldnt score. GB is till technically in it, but they didnt show me anything that might make me think they can go all the way. I expect them to drop a game or two and be out.

On a snowy field the Eagles put together a good win against Detroit. Both have been playing solid ball. I have my doubts about the Eagles but I cant argue with their record or the strength of their wins.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Didn't get to watch much. Eagles fans came back to reality, that defense sux. But, Foles is promising.

Romo does it again. What a loser. SI did a piece on him, showed some 4th quarter stats, made it look like he's actually a good crunch time QB. The old adage is true, can twist numbers to show whatever you want.

With Broncos loss, AFC still quite a mix up. But Bengals lose, NE looks weak (always getting down early). They beat the Chiefs twice already, so who else can you go with?

Seahawks are cruising. Sometimes it's hard tho when it's too easy. But Niners and Panthers are dangerous (Saints suck away from home).
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Seahawks are at home in the CLink for the last two regular season games against Cardinals and Rams. Presumption has to be that they will get the wildcard week off, be at home the following two weeks, then get another week to prep for one more away game at the place they just skunked the Giants.

The opponent on that occasion will likely be more challenging...but Go Hawks!

As a nod to the Watcher across the hall, I hope the 'Fins manage to be the opponent in February, but their fate after that will be up to them.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't know Ravens ... but 61 yards?!? Outstanding.

(Can the NFL be viable if 60, 70, 80 yard field goals become routine?)
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Bengals imploded against their division rival. A shame too because this would have been the perfect weekend for a win. The Pats lost and with a Bengals win, they would have gotten second seed and a Bye.

The Falcons got a win against another really bad team. It was a fun game to watch AND the Fan Patrol stopped by and gave me a autographed football (won in a drawing with other Season ticket holders). Mike Smith has gone into evaluation mode and is putting in people that normally wouldnt get this many snaps. Its a good move.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote:I don't know Ravens ... but 61 yards?!? Outstanding.

Somewhere, I just saw an article related to that...did someone here link it??
Was arguing that Point after kicks should be eliminated cuz no one ever misses the damn things. And that field goals could be assigned points based on distance. I don't think we're near 60-yarders+ ever being routine...only 14 peeps have ever made one, though they aren't attempted except in desperate circ's. But I think the 50-55 range is probably near or over 50% [better for the best kickers]...and anything less than 40-45ish practically a gimme for anyone good enough to keep an NFL job.

I love those extra long tries, I have to say. Tucker deserves props...he's been amazing in his brief career.
But the Ravens didn't win that game...Detroit lost it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Vraith wrote:And that field goals could be assigned points based on distance.
Wouldn't that de-incentivize trying to get all the way down to the end-zone?

I think you should just add 10 yards or something to where you spot the kicker.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote:
Vraith wrote:And that field goals could be assigned points based on distance.
Wouldn't that de-incentivize trying to get all the way down to the end-zone?

I think you should just add 10 yards or something to where you spot the kicker.
It might, if they didn't do the figures for points/range correctly...
but 7 points will always be a lot better than 3...and even more better :) for 2 points and 1 point.

But I don't mind how it is now [except the extra point...what a waste]...the skill and efficiency growth, I'd say, has increased competitiveness. Made "any given Sunday" closer to factual.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Saints need to win this weekend against Carolina or they face possible not making the playoffs.

they have trouble on the road and they have trouble with defending the run. and Sean Payton falls in love with the pass.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Vraith wrote:
wayfriend wrote:I don't know Ravens ... but 61 yards?!? Outstanding.

Somewhere, I just saw an article related to that...did someone here link it??
Was arguing that Point after kicks should be eliminated cuz no one ever misses the damn things. And that field goals could be assigned points based on distance. I don't think we're near 60-yarders+ ever being routine...only 14 peeps have ever made one, though they aren't attempted except in desperate circ's. But I think the 50-55 range is probably near or over 50% [better for the best kickers]...and anything less than 40-45ish practically a gimme for anyone good enough to keep an NFL job.

I love those extra long tries, I have to say. Tucker deserves props...he's been amazing in his brief career.
But the Ravens didn't win that game...Detroit lost it.
As much of a homer as I am, I have to admit that if the Lion's receivers had been able to hang on to the ball, it would have been a very different game.

That said, this is exactly how the Ravens won the Superbowl last year....They find a way to win. There's no column in the stats for style; it all comes down to the final score.

Should be a great game this weekend. Baltimore does well against New England, especially at home. We win out, we can win the division, and no one wants to play the Ravens in December or January.....Or February for that matter.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

For Vraith:
dlbpharmd wrote:Peter King, MMQB, si.com, wrote:
Stat of the Week

At some point, the NFL’s going to have to acknowledge the efficiency of field-goal kickers is just too good. And the league is either going to have to narrow the goalposts or put a different point value on field goals from different distances.

When kickers are making 19 of 20 field-goal tries, on average, from inside the 40-yard line (stunning but true) and two-thirds of their attempts beyond 50 yards (and they are: 45 of 68, or 66.2%), you know this isn’t what the game is supposed to be. Kicking field goals has just become too easy.

This easy, as the season nears the midpoint:

From inside the 40-yard line: 230 of 245, 93.9%.
From between the 40- and 49-yard line: 126 of 153, 82.4%.

And the biggest waste of time in sports is the point-after. Six were missed all season last year, and this year, only two of 524 have gone awry. It is positively insane that the NFL doesn’t either eliminate the PAT, move the snap way back from the 2-yard line, or force teams to go for two. Something. Anything. For years, it’s been a nothing play, and the Competition Committee refuses to do anything tangible about it.

I know some will say, “Wait until the weather turns. Then you’ll see the percentages go down.” And they will. But by how much? The field goal is simply not challenging enough. Do we want the game to be so boring, to lack any suspense, when a kicker steps up to make a field goal? I can tell you the founding fathers of this game never dreamed the kickers would be so great that they would be good on 87 percent of their field goals through nearly half a season.
I agree 100% that the PAT is useless. Either make TDs worth 7 points or leave them at 6, but for God's sake, do away with the PAT! But, efficiency of field goal kickers doesn't bother me.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

We were in the car alot of the day and in the mountains with limited signal so I only caught parts of games.

Bengals looked really good against a really bad team.

Detroit lost another and it was all on coaching in my opinion. In a tied game with more than 30 seconds on the clock and you have the ball, why would you let the clock run out? They deserved to lose and frankly their coach needs to be fired.

Panthers won against the Saints... (big cheer!!). I dont like either but I dont like the saints more. Now the Panthers are ahead in the division. If the Panthers win next week in Atlanta and the Saints lose next week, the Saints wont even be in the playoffs. However as an Atlanta fan, even with no playoff spot to play for, I still want them to win every game even if it costs them a first round draft pick.

Atlanta plays SF in the last game in Candlestick part. Yeah its liable to be a rout. Gotta hope for a any given Sunday kind of game.

Speaking of any given Sunday, the Seahawks lost at home to the Cardinals! So they are beatable and beatable at home. This was Russell Willsons first home loss of his Career.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Saints seem unable to win at home. this flaw should eliminate them quickly in the playoffs.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Atlanta / SF game. Announcers said the Falcons shouldnt even both taking the field, a big mismatch. But at half time the Falcons are up 10 to 3. At the end of the game, the Falcons had this one and again left it on the field due to error. Score Falcons 24 to 9'rs are 27 with 1 min left. Falcons get the ball on an onside kick, and head down the field to the 10 yard line. Eating clock, 1st down,. ready for the upset... even a FG will tie it up. But an easy win coming..... Matt throws to Harry Douglas who bobbles the pass right into the 49'rs hands who returns it for a TD. Its the Falcons story for most games this year.
Last edited by SoulBiter on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

sgt.null wrote:Saints seem unable to win at home. this flaw should eliminate them quickly in the playoffs.
What team are you watching? The Saints are undefeated at home.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Falcons lose the last game of the year. Officiating in this game was horrible and quite frankly cost the Falcons this game (as if they couldnt get out of their own way enough).

Bengals send the Ravens home for the season in a big win.

I hate for the Division rivals in the south to head to the SB so I guess I will get behind Seahawks and the Bengals in the post season.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the 12th Man, SoulBiter!

BTW, in case you are unaware of The Mile High Club thread (it has nothing to do with the Broncos) in the Summonsing, you have been receiving congratulations there this week on having crossed the 3.000 post milestone. Mazel tov!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Sports”