Rime Coldspray (finished)

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Rime Coldspray (finished)

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

EDIT:
Slight topic change. Since this was originally meant to be drawn in the spirit of the AATE cover, mist and all, it will have that blue-gray-schema and the odd tunnel.

This would still need feedback, I'm not all that happy with everything. For the first time testing this kind of monochromatic fadeout of background characters, not sure how well it's turning out. The passage isn't ready either.

Updated version:

First version (still with text).
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu May 30, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think the figure directly above her left shoulder is a bit distracting from the main figure, sort of intruding from the background into the foreground.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks Muffin. I mirrored the whole background with the characters and pushed the intruder considerably back. Any better?

I've linked the updated picture into the first post, since the entire topic changed in any case.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Very glad you have reintroduced this work. Missed it when it was briefly withdrawn.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hmm, yes, I think the arrangement of the characters works better this way. I think the fade-out may be making things a little too fuzzy. Looking good, though.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

This looks quite exciting. I love misty picture and it looks like you know how to create that feeling.

If I have a recommendation, it would be to give the background more space in the picture. And (you probably already intend to do it) put condensation in Rime's hair and armor and surround her feet with billowing clouds of mist.

When is this supposed to take place? Are you working from knowledge of Last Dark spoilers?
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks everyone for the input (or just commenting)!

I *could* still try to play around with the contrast and see if it looks ok with sharper background details, but I did spend quite a while with just that and ended up with this amount of fadeout. (Or perhaps I might adjust the gray tone of the bg figures...hmm, more tweaking...). Adding more background's more problematic at this point considering that I have the tunnel on 4-5 layers (background color/first texture/secondary texture/shading/fog). Plus one has to rethink the balance of the layout upon expanding the entire canvas. More fog and condensation requires much less effort. I'll see how things turn out.

I didn't have a definite scene in mind (about half of my TCTC art's like that anyhow); frankly I'm not certain as to where the Harrow struts on the cover of AATE (The Lost Deep?). Also not in possession of world-shattering TLD spoilers; only what I've read/seen in the sample chapter/trailer, and they don't pertain to this image. :lol:
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

HeeHeeHee... Frostheart called Murrin "Muffin".....

I like your style of drawing. It's very complex and beautiful.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Frosty, glad to see you posting fresh artwork again :) I like the misty look of this, hard to speak about the central figure for now though - but I hope it's going to be a bit faded as well, not in the distance-imitating way, which is not needed for it, but to add to that same "Last Dark" feeling.

Jenn, this is not the first time Muffin is called Muffin, it's pretty much his official nickname now :biggrin: I might even find the thread this name was invented in if you're interested :)
A role-player, beware
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks, returning to this at some point again... :lol: General color spectrum's going to be grayish-blue, but my own fault that I imagined Rime with a warm yellow surcoat...

Yup, "Muffin" complements the fuzzy cute critters in his avatar so well. :twisted:
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

??
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I like the colours. There's some nice detail on the armour.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That's pretty awesome, FH.

Under the heading of constructive, nitpicking, because-you-want-input type comments: I think you need to play a bit more with the earings, they come across to me as out-of-place a bit. Fashionable rather than warrior-like, if you see what I mean. Would a swordmainir go for what are, in battle, essentially handles for ripping off ear-lobes? Maybe one earing (pirate-y). Or something talismanic or trophy-like. Or something like a tiny shield which holds tight to the head. Just thoughts.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks!

I had some kind of long-winded reason for the earrings...yes.

The new patch of Swordmainnir are the inspirational lovechild of Findinavians and Scythians. I assumed they originally wore helmets akin to the First, but then the skurj ate them for supper together with their other supplies, including shields.

Skythian kick-arse lady above possesses Grueburn-type earrings.

Had they helmets left, I'd give them Vendel models, which in their original state match my obsession for detail. Earrings would go underneath the aventail and/or cheek guards.

Of course, now that they're strutting around sans the headgear, their ears would turn vulnerable. Technically they might pocket (pouch) them; this single detail isn't that hard to fix.

:?:
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Päh, think I'm done fighting against this.

With that beastie tooth earring, she no longer looks like the twin of her cartoon version, though. *sadface*

There's often some significance to the decorations.

www.galdrasyning.is/index.php?option=co ... 60&lang=is
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Sadface? I blame me!

So the "Helm of Awe" resides on her leg greaves ... I suppose it works just as well from there. :D

Anyway, well done.

Is that skurj icor on her blade?

[Edit]This picture brings to mind another ... www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episod ... tk0939.htm
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Ægishjálmarnir reside on the level of...erm...ur-vile foreheads when they're loping around on all their fours, so naturally it works. Not 100% scrupulous with the placements, as it's more akin to a fantasy adaptation. :P

Ichor is supposed to be Shoe's condensation. More or less. I remember mist of that ilk around Gullfoss and had to wipe my glasses every once in a while.

The layout was based on the AATE cover.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Stunningly beautiful work! The play of light upon the sword, the armor, and the characters suggest they are trying to make their way through a forested area that lets in overhead light here and there through the usually very thick growth (Salva Gilenbourne?).
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I recently have read AATE and I am now 3/4 through TLD, Great work!! when I was reading I was picturing the giants with your depictions,and now i know where the scenes are from in the books. Very Nice.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks!
Glad they have helped with visualizations. (Although I wish other artists would draw these femme fatales as well...)

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”