Cigars

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Do you ever enjoy a fine cigar?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Alt+0233. Learned that waaaaay back when I did French in school.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hungarian Tokay, Sauternes with foie gras - got to be done. Got to be done! :lol:

[No computers when I did French at school - we had a 'language lab' that had tape machines or something in it]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Don Exnihilote wrote:I bet I could pour you a white that would knock your socks off, Av.
Hahaha, you're on. Bring a couple of bottles to Africa. :D I like something wooded.
I'm Murrin wrote:Alt+0233.
No wonder I could never find it. You'd think they'd keep it with the ë / ê / è. (Damn, they do, in the sense that all of those are duplicated down at that end too.)

Thanks. :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

30 seconds playing, and I just found it at Alt+130, too.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Right - I'm going to try this : e0233
WTF! What am I doing wrong
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

peter wrote:Right - I'm going to try this : e0233
WTF! What am I doing wrong
Hee hee....
CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR!!!!

Could be a couple things I'm aware of:
1) You don't type the letter then the code. You just hold down alt and type the code itself.
2) I THINK that you have to have a separate keypad to type the codes, NOT the numbers row above letters. UNLESS you change your keyboard settings some way.
I don't know how....ah, screw it, I'll go look it up....

Look Here
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You must use the keypad, Num Lock must be on, and you hold down (left) Alt while typing the code.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Just enjoyed a massively good Joya de Nicaragua.

Good stuff.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

I've never had one of those, but I know them by reputation as powerful, full bodied cigars. Which one did you smoke?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Fuerte Serie B. It's ridiculously inexpensive (around $2), and it's a nice, well-constructed smoke. It lacks the complexity and depth of the Antano Dark Corojo, but it's a third of the price.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

e

Right - I type an e; I hold down alt and type 0233 [I have no separate numbers board on my laptop, just the ones over the letters] and nothing happens; I move the 'cursor' to the lhs of the e and repeat, nothing happens; I find the numbers lock button and return to murrin's post....pause....type an e, put on numbers lock, hold alt, type 0233 - and nothing! Lets try this again - e - n6th5ng [thats what happens when you type with numbers lock on....Ahh - just spotted little numbers on the keys themselves, lets try this] eé - we33 [sorry] well, thats closer - but why the double e. Try again paté How cool is that! [but I didn't type in an e at all that time just numbers lock on, alt 0233 and the e came up with the ' on it - how do I get the other 25 letters of the alphabet? [Feel free to bail if you want to guys :lol: ]

u é aé - hang 6n [s6rry][sorry] on - do only e's have accents? That must be it!

Anyone up for an aumlaut? :lol:

[Apologies Don - Hijacking over]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

No problem, peter, you aren't bothering me. I'm just leaning on the piano. ;)

BTW, Cail, I'm about to order some Fuente Curly Heads, right at the same $2 price point though more medium strength. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent smoke, if you're willing to beat the bushes a bit.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Going back to my boat trip, there was a guy in the cigar lounge who brought his own bad boy's along and I have never seen a cigar of greater diameter in my life. Not especially long and very dark in color, the thing must have been over an inch - and I would say well over - side to side. What could that have been?

[As a point of interest I have a feeling it could have been Niall Fergusson. The guy was a University lecturer in the states, a Britisher who was a ringer for the historian if ever there was one. At that time I did not know of Fergusson, his 'TV' programs not appearing until a few years after that trip - but who knows? Nice chap whatever.]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Mongnihilo wrote:No problem, peter, you aren't bothering me. I'm just leaning on the piano. ;)

BTW, Cail, I'm about to order some Fuente Curly Heads, right at the same $2 price point though more medium strength. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent smoke, if you're willing to beat the bushes a bit.
Between the daily and weekly specials at Cigars International and the rotating specials at Cigarsprintsale.com, you can get some great deals on really expensive smokes. Look at the sampler packages too; you can usually get 12-20 great (like $15 smokes) cigars for around $40.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Peter, my laptop is the same way: no number pad but the row of numbers on the top row and little numbers in a number pad arrangement starting on the M key and fanning upward. Those little numbers are what work for me. To do so, hold done BOTH the Ctrl and the Alt keys, and then type in the ACSII code for the symbol you want to do. No need to type the letter for what you're trying to accent.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Cail wrote:
Mongnihilo wrote:No problem, peter, you aren't bothering me. I'm just leaning on the piano. ;)

Between the daily and weekly specials at Cigars International and the rotating specials at Cigarsprintsale.com, you can get some great deals on really expensive smokes. Look at the sampler packages too; you can usually get 12-20 great (like $15 smokes) cigars for around $40.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check those sites out. I've found some nice deals at cigarplace.biz, hilandcigars.com (check out the discount codes!), and egars.com. A lot of places will send you discount codes if you sign up for their email notices.

Oh, and every Friday beginning just after midnight on Thursday, there is a 24 hour sale on cigarmonster.com that often has some great deals -- "the monster mash."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Menolly wrote:Peter, my laptop is the same way: no number pad but the row of numbers on the top row and little numbers in a number pad arrangement starting on the M key and fanning upward. Those little numbers are what work for me. To do so, hold done BOTH the Ctrl and the Alt keys, and then type in the ACSII code for the symbol you want to do. No need to type the letter for what you're trying to accent.
Oops. My bad.

*Not* Ctrl and Alt + ACSII code, but Fn and Alt + ACSII code, holding the Fn and Alt keys down at the same time while entering the code.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

[peter whispers "Cheers Menolly" ;)]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Getting back to stogies, although tastes vary, I really can't say enough about Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Double Chateau -- a medium bodied but delicious full flavored and silky smooth cigar at a bargain price. I will be buying more of these, many more.

Hiland Cigars: Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Double Chateau (use discount code ARTUROF at checkout)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Enjoying a JDN Rosalones. Good solid smoke for the money.

Return to “The Galley”