So ok why do I NEED to read these books

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

John Wilkinson
Servant of the Land

So ok why do I NEED to read these books

Post by John Wilkinson »

Hi all.

I have to say I am a maasive fan of TC but never read ANY of SRD's other work. Mordant's Need would be the one I am looking at next (after I finish The Last Chronicles) so please convince a Noob how good these books are?

Best wishes

John
They'll never see the likes of us again

Visit my Genesis tribute band website

www.mama-genesis.co.uk
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I read Covenant first, and then on to the Gap Series, back in the 1990s. I had the Mordant's Need Books, but, never got around to reading them. My arms are getting too short to read physical books these days, without glasses, and glasses are a pain in the neck, because it's only my "up close" vision that is getting bad, so, glasses for that, messes with far vision :(

So, I picked up Mordant's Need Audio Books a couple years back, and I greatly enjoyed them.

Covenant has the Rape scene, and the first book and a half of The Gap Series has alot of abuse, Mordat's Need doesn't have that, so, that's one really good plus that makes them easy to get into.

The Magic in Mordat's Need is different than most Fantasy, so that's another big plus.

The lead character is a damaged woman, but, she's much easier to like then Linden Avery, and she grows into a fantastically well adjusted person by the end.

Like his other books, Donaldson does a great job describing his world and putting ordinary people into extraordinary circumstances and examining the human Condition.

Other than the rape/abuse in The Gap Series and Covenant Series, the only other compaint I've heard about Donaldson is that the books aren't fun, he seems bound and determined to depress you (I don't think they are nearly as depressing as those who make this compaint believe). Mordant's Need, is not as grim as The Gap and Covenant (MN definitely has it's drama and grimness, but, it's got more "FUN" in it)

Side Note: The Gap Series is also fantastic, and has very "alien" Aliens and a good real-life credible Science base
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Personally I love these books, the characters are different but awesome and the plot more complex but less nebulous. In TCoTC you don't really see what foul is doing, in these the villains are more will drawn. Highly recommend.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

John, you must read Mordant's Need. As Sindatur says it is lighter in character, but just as enjoyable as the Chronicles. I borrowed my son's copies in the 90s but now have my own - must get the kindle versions. As for the Gap series, I had never read any science fiction before, but I managed to get through the first couple of books and then it got better. Although I became involved with the characters there isn't much joy there. I have to say that SD made me sympathetic to the most despicable person I've ever come across in a book! The short stories are good as well. I haven't yet tried the "Man Who" series.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The very first thing about Mordant's need that you need to know is that it has absolutely great characters. Interesting and well-drawn. The interplay between them is fabulous. You absolutely will care about them all.

The second thing about Mordant's need that you need to know is that the plot is fantastic. Things unfold with surprise after surprise. It's edge-of-your-seat stuff. And the mysteries really keep you wondering how things will turn out.

The third thing about Mordant's need that you need to know is that, while it's "lighter fair" than the Chronicleses, it's not fluffy. The layers of metaphor and the permeation of themes is very well architected - except it's not heavy-handed and it can escape your notice if you choose to let it fly by.

It's one of those stories you have to read fast the first time because you can't wait to see how it ends. Then you have to read it again so you can savor everything more appreciatively.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The very first thing about Mordant's need that you need to know is that it has absolutely great characters. Interesting and well-drawn. The interplay between them is fabulous. You absolutely will care about them all.

The second thing about Mordant's need that you need to know is that the plot is fantastic. Things unfold with surprise after surprise. It's edge-of-your-seat stuff. And the mysteries really keep you wondering how things will turn out.

The third thing about Mordant's need that you need to know is that, while it's "lighter fair" than the Chronicleses, it's not fluffy. The layers of metaphor and the permeation of themes is very well architected - except it's not heavy-handed and it can escape your notice if you choose to let it fly by.

It's one of those stories you have to read fast the first time because you can't wait to see how it ends. Then you have to read it again so you can savor everything more appreciatively.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I was going to say "You can say that again!", but you already did! :)
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I was going to say "You can say that again!", but you already did! :)
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Just read them. They're a fairy tale for adults with a Donaldsonian twist.

They're not as good as the Gap, but then nothing is. :D

But they're great.

--A
John Wilkinson
Servant of the Land

Post by John Wilkinson »

Thanks all.

Some great responses here.

Ok I get it, they're great and I should buy them..........

Order for Kindle will be going in this weekend :)

Best wishes

John
They'll never see the likes of us again

Visit my Genesis tribute band website

www.mama-genesis.co.uk
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I really don't think you'll be disappointed
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

Haha, let us know what you think of them. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Oh hell, haha, that post was 2 months old. :D

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Avatar wrote:Oh hell, haha, that post was 2 months old. :D

--A
So he might be done by now :D
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Hope you enjoy(ed) them.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

John Wilkinson never got around to giving his review of Mordant's Need. That's a shame. :sob:
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I first read the TC novels in the early 80s, and then a few years later read the Mordant's Need books.

While I loved the TC novels, I thought Mordant's Need was rather dull in comparison. I'm not a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan and only really read a few books based on recommendations, so I'm very fussy about what I read. (Most of the reading I do is what is termed 'classic literature', particularly 19th century novels).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the novels and even the amount of plot line twists and turns didn't engage me. The characters were quite well rounded, but seemed far too much like stock characters with nothing really original about them.

Might be my personal taste, but I really didn't find Mordant's Need to be anywhere near on par with the TC novels.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I enjoyed MN, but I agree that it's definitely "light" compared to SRD's other works. But I thought the characters were interesting enough to keep me reading. I also like giving MN out to friends and family that I know enjoy fantasy, but for whom I feel that TC would be a little too "intense" for. MN seems like a nice way to "introduce" people to SRD. (That whole rape scene in the 7th chapter of LFB really turns a lot of people off...go figure!)

-jay
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

One thing that does come back to me now is the wait between the two volumes.

I started reading the TC novels just as The One Tree was released, and I remember being so incredibly impatient for White Gold Wielder to be released. When it came to Mordant's Need, I read the first book because it was SRD, but wasn't too concerned about the wait for the second book. I seem to remember buying it because I went into my favorite bookstore and just happened to notice it on the shelf.

Perhaps it's even the disappointment of Mordant's Need that is making me think twice about whether to get the Final Chronicles (although I'm pretty sure I will read those).
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I read Mordant's Need before I read TCTC and Mordant's Need is still a favorite for me. I love the story line and characterizations.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “Mordant's Need”