What food do you hate - and [if possible] why.

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Bananas. Can't be in the same room if someone is eating one; even the scent makes me sick.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Food in cans (with the exception of San Marzano tomatoes and some beans)
Frozen food (with the exception of peas, corn and maybe spinach)
Convinience food (no exception)
Fast food (no exception)

Apart from that ... oh, I don't need kidneys on my plate.

The Vadress, strangely enough, has been eating all kinds of seafood, blue cheeses and other stuff since she was 4 but never ever liked mashed potatoes, fish fingers or such. Everytime she comes back from a friend's birthday party she says "I'm hungry, all they had for dinner was fries and chicken nuggets, bleeeerg!"
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I had some of that 'silver needles' chinese/japanese [not sure which] tea as a gift one time. It's a 'white tea' and reputed to be the most expensive tea in the world. I made it very carefully according to the instructions and it had virtually no discernable flavour that I could grasp at all. Perhaps I don't have the right type of taste buds [or I have blasted the life out of them with chili and vindaloo currys].

[Also had some of the reputed most expensive coffe in the world - some wierd stuff that apparently has to pass through the bowels of the civet and then is collected by hand from the jungle floor. Tasted like civet crap to me.]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I hate when people put lavender in my desert. I feel like I am eating soap. Not a big fan of rosemary for the same reason. I won't eat veal. Haven't eaten it since I saw how the calves are kept about 20 years ago. I hate okra. It's slimy. Don't eat liver. It is the filtering system of the body and I just don't think it is good to consume. Not a fan of bean curd that is found in Asian desserts. Hate margarine, it tastes fake. Don't eat goat, rabbit, lamb, beef or pork. Just don't.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

pete the ageing savage wrote:[Also had some of the reputed most expensive coffe in the world - some wierd stuff that apparently has to pass through the bowels of the civet and then is collected by hand from the jungle floor. Tasted like civet crap to me.]
bigstory.ap.org/article/elephant-dung-coffee-exotic-brew-50-pop

Elephant-poop coffee is said to be even more expensive now.
Think of the elephant as the animal kingdom's equivalent of a slow cooker. It takes between 15-30 hours to digest the beans, which stew together with bananas, sugar cane and other ingredients in the elephant's vegetarian diet to infuse unique earthy and fruity flavors, said the 42-year-old Canadian, who has a background in civet coffee.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Liver.
Canned beets.
Green peppers.
Raw tomato- unless in salsa and not chunky.
Anything fried in oil that needs to be changed.

Anything else I can choke down if I have to.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'll give anything a shot.

But of the things I've tried, I'm not a fan of bologna; most meat loaf; wokked meat dishes (I almost always go vegetarian at Asian restaurants); malts (although I adore milkshakes); turkey bacon; kielbasa that is made with turkey in it (tastes too much like filler; give me the beef and pork); peaches (raw or cooked; I don't even like the smell, not even peach scents)...

There are probably others, especially meat cooked past the moo-ing stage.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Heh. I am proud to say that Menolly will eat - has even asked for - meatloaf made per the recipe Dam-sel and I use.

My strongest food aversion I can think of is that I cannot abide undercooked egg white. No rational reason; just was compelled as a child to eat fried or poached eggs with not-entirely-set whites. Made me gag then, and I can't suppress the reaction even all these decades later.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, I'm a really fussy eater. I have serious texture issues too.

Lessee...I don't eat seafood of any description, fish, shellfish or molluscs, if it lived in the water, I don't eat it. (Except seaweed...I don't have a problem with seaweed.)

I don't eat any cooked green vegetables, but I can eat some of them raw. (Peas, green beans, spinach.)

I hate cucumber, asparagus, aubergine, artichokes, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli. I don't eat onions or turnips or beetroot (unless it's pickled). I don't like things that are minced or mushy or boiled too long.

I prefer raw carrots to cooked ones, although I will eat both. I don't have a problem with mushrooms (fresh, not canned) or tomatoes, but I hate pecan nuts and I won't eat egg white.

I don't eat pork sausages, or any kind of beans (except raw green ones) and I don't do organ meat either.

Oh, and I hate coriander.

That's all I can think of off-hand, but I assure you there is more.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Man - how do you guys live! Av and Lorin - it would be faster to tell us what you *do* eat ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

pete the ageing savage wrote:Man - how do you guys live! Av and Lorin - it would be faster to tell us what you *do* eat ;)
Ahhh, but I love everything Av hates.

As I get older I have a Silence of the Lambs thing going on in my head. When I was in my mid 20's I was living in Portugal and my landlord upstairs dispatched all his rabbits. They screamed. Then I saw the conditions that live stock in the US lived, pork and beef specifically and that was it for me. I wish I could move to vegetarianism but I haven't been able to make that transition. I still eat poultry and I still feed my dog beef.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

So we have a 'Jack Spratt' situation going on here with you and Av then Lorin :lol:

Just to add - Savor Dam hit a spot with his 'raw egg white' comments. This makes me 'gip' if I eat it. Some peeps wolf eggs down raw - how do they do that! [Egg white, even cooked, aint on my list of likes.]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Nothing wrong with egg white. Though you do need to cook it. I never like it when I get runny egg white on a fried egg, for example, though I might still eat it if it's not too bad.

But cooked egg white? Good stuff. Hard boiled eggs, eaten on their own with maybe a little salt, are delicious.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Vader wrote:
Apart from that ... oh, I don't need kidneys on my plate.
you just need to boil the piss out of them.

(I love that joke)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

pete the ageing savage wrote:So we have a 'Jack Spratt' situation going on here with you and Av then Lorin :lol:
Oh you have no idea...the GF is a vegetarian...has been for longer than I've known her. Almost everything she eats, I don't. And vice versa, since what I mostly eat is meat.

We prepare separate meals every day. :D (And believe me, that list was probably only scratching the surface.)
I'm Murrin wrote: Hard boiled eggs, eaten on their own with maybe a little salt, are delicious.
I love hard boiled eggs. Except I peel off the white and throw it away. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm Murrin wrote:I never like it when I get runny egg white on a fried egg, for example, though I might still eat it if it's not too bad.
That's where basting an up fried egg comes in...
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Menolly wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:I never like it when I get runny egg white on a fried egg, for example, though I might still eat it if it's not too bad.
That's where basting an up fried egg comes in...
My Puerto Rican friends put an egg in about 2 inches of corn oil and baste it while it's cooking. 8O

H-E-A-L-T-H-Y !
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

When I fry an egg, I splash the oil over it as it cooks. Something I picked up from my parents (though they used to use lard, not oil). Uncooked white I mostly see when getting food from BnBs, restaurants, and suchlike - probably from cooking lots of them quickly as possible.

Two inches sounds... excessive.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I'm Murrin wrote: Two inches sounds... excessive.
just a tad. :wink:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Liver and canned beets...ugh.

Not a fan of canned or frozen peas either.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “The Galley”