Is there a "right age" to read the Chronicles?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I have the first in one huge omnibus. Definitely not edited - why on earth would it be edited?? It's big, but manageable. I also have the second chrons in one huge edition. I bought them both in Sydney when I met my only real life watcher - Shaun das Schaf :)

I used to have individual books for both Chrons 1 & 2, and they were awesome versions from my family. I borrowed them for my first reread a number of years ago, and they were tragically accidently thrown out in the garbage collection - I can't exactly remember the details now, but I did post the story in "How are you feeling" once, although I doubt I could find that post now! Anyway, they were a great set from the 80s and I was suitably crushed to discover what I'd done.

(PS. DrPaul, you're an Aussie? Yay for another one on the Watch!)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The first volume of both my first and second chrons are pretty beat up. In fact, my LFB's cover is pretty much held together by tape.

My copy of WGW doesn't match the covers of the rest of the 1st 2 chrons, and for the last chrons, they're all the trade paperbacks with the UK covers, except for FR which LuciMay sent me as the US hardcover.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

it will sit well in *my* hands then Iolanthe. [Do you rmember 'Ser Visal'......]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Vaguely. It is some time since I read the short stories! :? Must read them again sometime - the ones I liked anyway.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ah, beat up copies of books - you've got to love them; way better than that pristine, never been touched thing of new books. It's my day off and I'm off to search through 2000[?] books in piles for a copy of Gilden Fire I know is in there somewhere. All for the sake of saving two quid on e-bay. {Then cooking 'roast' for Wifey - how good a day is that?}
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Peter, I might pop around if that's ok - I do love a good roast and a chronicles chat :) Gimme 24 hours! I'll even bring a copy of Gilden Fire just in case.

As for the last Chrons, I have a paperback of Runes, and hard covers of the rest.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

My LFB is in half right now. My dad gave them to me, and thats how I learned about the books. My Dads has acidic reading hands though, so whatever book he touches begins to deteriorate.. they are really old copies so that doesn't help.

Another point I'd like to make though is that SRD likes to make his endings special in a way that is not only story relatable.. they are meant to echo in your mind. The first time I read TPTP I really didn't understand what it all meant. I thought the final battle was just a mash of words. Maybe my imagination has grown alot since then. I'm not sure, but I definitely get a lot more out of them now.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Always welcome StevieG - bring over a couple of 'chilled ones' as well will you! ;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

StevieG, yes, I'm an Australian, born in Melbourne, then spent much of the 1980s in Sydney before moving to Brisbane for 25 years and then relocating to the Gold Coast last July.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

And judging by
Spoiler
the copious quantities of roast legs of lamb and roast chooks that the Ardent provisioned our heroes with in AATE, I suspect that the Insequent might be Aussies as well, or at least have similar tastes in cuisine.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

DrPaul wrote:And judging by
Spoiler
the copious quantities of roast legs of lamb and roast chooks that the Ardent provisioned our heroes with in AATE, I suspect that the Insequent might be Aussies as well, or at least have similar tastes in cuisine.
wtf is a 'chook'? [slipping into the vernacular simplly because I'm addressing an Australian - forgive me for my lumping an entire culture into one ridiculous stereotype; blame 'Sir Les Patterson DrP :lol: ]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

chicken?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Correct, Io!

Until now, I didn't realise it wasn't a universal term.
Rau Le Creuset wrote:Another point I'd like to make though is that SRD likes to make his endings special in a way that is not only story relatable.. they are meant to echo in your mind. The first time I read TPTP I really didn't understand what it all meant. I thought the final battle was just a mash of words. Maybe my imagination has grown alot since then. I'm not sure, but I definitely get a lot more out of them now.
I had the same reaction when I first read it. I think this site helped me understand the ending more than my own imagination. It made a lot more sense when I read the series again.

PS. Here's to tangents! :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

Currently I have my 16 year old daughter reading the first chronicles, she is the same age I was. I made sure she had mastered The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter first, to be sure she was ready for the language. She love Thomas Covenant, says she likes that he is so "angsty".
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

kvickie wrote:Currently I have my 16 year old daughter reading the first chronicles, she is the same age I was. I made sure she had mastered The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter first, to be sure she was ready for the language. She love Thomas Covenant, says she likes that he is so "angsty".
Sixteen was the age I started reading the Chronicles, as well! Seems a good enough age.
Rabs
Servant of the Land

Post by Rabs »

I was 15-16 years old when I first read the Chronicles, and I instantly fell in love with them with the first chapter of Lord Foul's Bane. During this time I also tried to read LOTR and never finished them. Tried again a few years later and completed them but still didn't care for them. I respect Tolkien for what he did for fantasy but I think Donaldson is better by far. An opinion I find that isn't at all popular. :wink:
“Do not hurt where holding is enough;
Do not wound where hurting is enough;
Do not maim where wounding is enough;
and kill not where maiming is enough;
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill”
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I knew as soon as I read LFB that it was better than LOTR. Well, better in several important dimensions, anyway. Each has it's virtues. But the Chronicles is a more profound story, hands down.

By which I mean, around here you're opinion is well respected (if not universally agreed to).
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm a big LOTR fan but I'm with you in thinking The Chrons to be superior stories.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

I think LOTR and the Chronicles are different kinds of stories, which means I don't attempt to compare them. However I do have a private joke that the First Chronicles is LOTR written by Dostoyevsky.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Agree that it's better, not that I don't love LotR as well. As DrPaul says, different stories though, so only comparable in fairly general ways.

--A

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”