Little details that I put off...

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Little details that I put off...

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

...Does anyone have the same problem as I do?

I avoid (and fear) various little ordinary tasks to a degree that is... inordinate? ...incommensurate with the amount of trouble they actually are?

The ones that inspire the most dread:
* Making phone calls to deal with administrative details (even straightforward ones like activating a credit card)
* Throwing out food that I know has gone bad in the fridge.
* Typing up my tutoring "lesson summaries."
* Sending almost any kind of e-mail.

Sometimes it's irrational; sometimes it may have "made sense at one point," but no longer does.

What are other people's favorites in this category?
(where by "favorites" I really mean "most dreaded and hated tasks")
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

There are a few things I procrastinate on, Linna, such as:
1) Like you, making an administrative phone call :roll:

2) Going to bed when I need to do so :Z:

3) Sending a personal e-mail :wave:

4) The big one---FLOSSING! (Must, must, MUST work on that one!) :biggrin:

5) I often procrastinate on finishing lists once I've gotten past item #4 :!:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the administrative phone call.

:LOLS:

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Appointments. Particularly the dentist and optometrist.

Also, making calls to potential clients and asking for work. I never know how to word it so that it doesn't sound like begging :lol:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I am really bad a self care. Ask me to make an appointment for someone else, advocate on the phone for someone else and I am on it. But my stuff seems to be put aside and aside and aside.

Especially administrative stuff. Calls that require me to be polite and solicitous are the hardest. The ones with the nasty worker with the attitude on the other end. I have been avoiding dealing with my pension issues because I cannot face dealing with angry uneducated drones with a chip on their shoulder. Ever since I left my job I feel like I have no tolerance and pop my cork at the slightest hint of their crap. BANG.. :mgun: ........I curse them out and hang up and I am back at go.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Cord Hurn wrote:Going to bed when I need to do so
This.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Phone calls, appointments, and (of particular note now that the annual need to do so is upon me) writing constructive feedback for other people's performance reviews. Even more so, writing my own self-review for my manager...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Self-reviews are easy for me. I go back through my admin e-mail folder and make note of all the projects I was involved with for the firm over the year. Then I list them on my self-eval. :) It often happens that the secretarial manager doesn't know about all of them, because I've worked with another department on them.

Anyway. Things I put off:

* Phone calls, even with friends (I'm sorry to say...) -- I'd much rather send an e-mail.

* Going to bed on time is a big one, yeah.

* Stupid stuff like brushing my teeth. Flossing? Yeah, no.

That'll do for now. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Oh, that a self-review for this outfit was so simple as a list of accomplishments. Nope. On top of that, I need to rank my strengths and weaknesses against various technical measures and our "Leadership Principles."

Somehow, I don't think "A weakness is a strength misapplied and a strength is a weakness that has found its proper application" is going to cut it... :roll:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Linna Heartbooger

Cord Hurn wrote:2) Going to bed when I need to do so :Z:
This is a big one...
Cord Hurn wrote:4) The big one---FLOSSING! (Must, must, MUST work on that one!) :biggrin:
Aughh!
When I found out that I had gingivitis... and then the dental hygenist showed me how I needed to floss... The pain was just shocking.

I've been thinking about it now and then... and I'm thinking I want to get up the nerve to ...next time I see a dentist, ask:
"Do you know people who actually ...take the necessary actions... (i.e. flossing) ...to recover from this? Does it kind of timeline does that happen on? Does it need to be done every night in the beginning or should a person start out more slowly to let gums have more than 1 day to heal? Please 'sell me' on this."
lorin wrote:I am really bad a self care. Ask me to make an appointment for someone else, advocate on the phone for someone else and I am on it. But my stuff seems to be put aside and aside and aside.
:hug:
Savor Dam wrote:writing constructive feedback for other people's performance reviews. Even more so, writing my own self-review for my manager...
Yuck... in the somewhat-parallel I have (entering lesson summaries) ...it feels like I'm not likely to accomplish much good but am likely to accomplish harm; so easy to be mis-understood in text.
I've shifted to describing which subjects we cover, (and still dread it!) but it sounds like you don't have that particular "out."
And I kind of dread evaluating. Even though it can be really really helpful.

And finally... I also procrastinate on making posts, and sayin' stuff!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

LH/et al...floss after every meal asap ..for the rest of your life. There is a procedure kinda like root canal , where they open up your gums and scrape the teeth and what not and attempt to kill the gingivitis bacteria that is way down deep..yea, thats it , its called deep cleaning,,but if you are a smoker etc etc..it doesn't last very long and the bacteria comes back..So ..you have to floss because the damage from tiny scraps trapped between the teeth is done within a hour or two ,I think. There is no escape from your teeth unless you get rid of them...which will happen anyway if you don't take care of them.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

oh...i have troubles remembering to log off web sites I visit.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Savor Dam wrote:Oh, that a self-review for this outfit was so simple as a list of accomplishments. Nope. On top of that, I need to rank my strengths and weaknesses against various technical measures and our "Leadership Principles."

Somehow, I don't think "A weakness is a strength misapplied and a strength is a weakness that has found its proper application" is going to cut it... :roll:
Oh yeah, we have some of that, too. The firm shelled out for this "Service Excellence" training package a few years ago, so now our self-eval includes a question on how we've practiced Service Excellence over the course of the year. I just look at my list of projects/stuff and slot things into the boxes where they look more or less appropriate. :D

One of my co-workers gets really mad every year about the whole self-eval thing. When I tell her about the stuff I put down on mine, she says, "But that's part of your job!" I keep trying to tell her that she needs to blow her own horn to Secretarial, regardless of whether she feels like the "extra" stuff she does is part of her job. This last time, she said, our manager told her that she wished my co-worker would share more of her wisdom (I think that was the phrasing). Co-Worker asked me what I thought that meant, and I told her she should start volunteering for committees and stuff. :D

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I dont have my g2 yet. I'm kinda messed up with the whole driving thing at the moment.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Julie does a lot of the detail work in our relationship...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

aliantha wrote: friends (I'm sorry to say...) -- I'd much rather send an e-mail.
Thank you for saying that. Me, too. :/

Sorting and filing papers is my bugaboo. I have a perpetual pile of "papers to figure out where they go". At least I've learned to keep it all in one pile. Located just by the dustbin. :D

Also, (cringe) non-fiction reading. Now, some of the best books I've ever read are nonfic, but I just get bored with a lot of them, as good as they are for me. I read numerous fiction in a year but do well to plow through 2 or 3 nonfiction.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Opening letters - especially from my family. [by the way - we are talking a sinking gut wrenching [not exactly, but close to] fear here. Why?]

{and the common 'dealing with a small matter phone call' fear; did some today that I've been putting of for days. wtf?}
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger

Oh dear... I am sorry about the "opening letters" part... :(
I'm awful about responding, but I always want to find out what the letter or e-mail says.
peter wrote:did some today that I've been putting of for days.
But you DID do them! That's really really a good thing, right?
:banana:

When it's me, I can think, "they are done and off the 'mental queue' of things to be guilty about / to try to avoid thinking about!"
(okay, that's the kind of list I would store in my mind. hopefully most people aren't quite as organized in their evasion as I am. sigh!)
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

The converse of this Linna, is the brief buzz you get when you actually do one of these things. For a while I coast on the good feeling of "well that went well didn't it." before the rest of the things I'm avoiding thinking about demand to be thought about once again.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh man I hear that.

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”