TLD Part I Chapter 4: Try to Believe

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

lurch wrote:..Yes, screen width has entered the picture of adjustments to be made when perusing this thread. The only thing we can do about it is..get this thread to page 2 as soon as possible if it bothers anyone that much.
And here we are on Page 2. Wish granted.

However, posterity will still need to view Page 1 of this excellent dissection discussion at its full width...unless perhaps it would be possible for Frostheart to rescale the picture to display at a smaller size without affecting the quality of the image she has created.

I do not know whether that is possible, but if so, it is an option.
Last edited by Savor Dam on Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

gosh ur good..and..now ,whats this you are going on about, looking at big butts in hi def..??..Reminds me of LOST..indeed, in one episode,,they took a wide angle shot of Evangeline Lilly , Kate, turning around and bending over. Her posterior filled the entire TV screen from left to right. It was magnificent,,and ..a illusion. I've met her, well , okay , I got her autograph. And. its true that she had a baby since then, but her hips are/were noticeably narrow,,narrower than her shoulders and narrower than my computer screen filled out by Frosty's art work. Which reminds me..Frosty, thank you for your art work. It fills out my computer screen nicely. I look forward to seeing more of it.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Another option is just to post a thumbnail that links to the full sized image.

I tried to read the dissection, but the side-scrollling necessary for every line made me give up.

Alternately, a mod could just remove the [img] tags, so there's just a link to the image. Seems a shame to hide it in the post though...a thumbnail would be a lot better.

Where is Frosty anyway?

--A
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Spending a lot of time outdoors as there's daylight till 22:30. :P
I've thumbnailed the image. My screen's wide enough to handle such challenges on its own (also hint: ctrl+- in Firefox :P). Now Avatar has no excuse NOT to participate.

I'm not really sure what SD means. Do we have Shirime onboard that read these as well? Perhaps that explains all those phantom pageviews.
Onyx Stonemage has a lovely, smooth full moon, but I'm still not going to add an illustration of her bending over to pick up a malachite boulder to the dissection of chapters 8-9. Now, you'd need to possess a wall-to-wall display for something like that...

I'll return to this a bit later, having a...colorful week, so to say. Glad you folks liked the analysis.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

" Glad you folks liked the analysis. "

AYE!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Wonderful wordplay
On the posterior Eye
Buson would be proud!

No doubt SD meant
"All future readers" when he
Said "posterity"

Still, the wordplay king
Got hoist on his own petard
Quite well done, Frostheart!
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Frostheart wrote:However, please do note that significant chunks of the text have a tongue-in-cheek flavor, and that I come from a culture quite different from the one practiced overseas.
precis Swedishness (yes, that is our actual prime minister)

Nice illustration for your post, frost.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Tack.

Alright, I'll immerse into the serious discussion now... :P Unless anyone craves for some local accordion metal again.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

A million years later, I found a spoonful of time to read the responses. Thanks, everyone, ‘twas a most exhausting chapter to analyze; so many layers waiting to be peeled away, merely to uncover a wormhole into another dimension within…

To me, Mishio screams Thursday. Come the first of the week, I usually hop out of the bed quite refreshed. Thursday: not quite the weekend yet, the head feels as intelligent as a blunt shovel after having been buried beneath the usual avalanche of work, coffee loses its meaning...snore.
wayfriend wrote:
lurch wrote:And his agreement with the Lurker had been founded on a lie; the mistaken belief that he was the Pure One of jheherrin legend. He needed to redeem that falsehood" Wait a minute,,Feroce, jheherrin are creatures of the mud,,creatures of the left over cast off, waste, garbage dumped out by the demondim..So,,Pure One..to them, would denote a pretty rotten being..so leprosy plagued Covenant,,from their perspective,,yea,,could be The Pure One;kinda dark i kno,,but the story teller saying Covenant needed to redeem that falsehood.
This is a real interesting idea, that the "Pure One" is, relative to the jheherrin, someone who is corrupt or at least diseased and "foul".

However, if you read the original passages in TPTP, I think it's clear that the jheherrin knew what being "pure" was. "birthed without flaw ... impervious to the Maker and his making - unafraid," they said. Note how it's phrased in terms that are the OPPOSITE of the jheherrin condition - "impervious to the Maker", etc.

It's my inclination to believe that Covenant is, and always has been, the Pure One. Or, rather, the one who redeemed the jheherrin and fulfilled their prophesy, anyway. I think that the jheherrin assumed such a person must be pure, because of who they were -- they could not imagine anyone like themselves being effectual, and their image of themselves is filth. And I think that Covenant has exactly the same issue - he cannot imagine anyone like himself being the prophesied Pure One, or being so effectual as to help the jheherrin just by being himself. So he always looks for other explanations to explain how the jheherrin were saved, while ignoring the most obvious one -- it was him, exactly as the Feroce believe.
Interesting thoughts both, and the relativity of corruption. However, could there have been two Pure Ones, akin to the amount of non-destructive Ringwielders doubling itself? One cannot omit Foamfollower’s lava bath and how he deep-caamora’ed himself to the point of semi-rebirth; the bloke even acquired a novel, flawless skin worthy of beauty commercials. Thereafter he and his “pure heart” helped laugh the Despiser back into an ovum, saving the Land in the process.
lurch wrote:is a great metaphor for the " logic and reason" perspective on the human condition…
I wouldn’t associate the Haruheads with reason (they oftentimes act sans common sense), but a binary logic, which is exactly the kind of state where a middle ground cannot be achieved between two extremes.
lurch wrote:rather than the Lurker thumping TC..Covenant is saving the Lurker
Inconveniently my cursor had alighted upon a certain letter t, and I had to blink and read the passage again to catch the correct meaning. :P
lurch wrote:Fascinating it is,,the singular gobbetting scene of Clyme, still reverberates more deeply within me ,,than the murder of Joan or any of the massive butchery to come.
Well, an underlying theme of necessary mercy circulated the depictions leading to Joan’s demise, in a fashion softening the outcome, but this? Sprang straight out of the bushes; almost as if in a fluffy-pink cuddly episode of Friendship Is Magic the characters abruptly began chainsaw-murdering one another. Both the unexpectedness and the grisliness rendered it effective. One tends to become desensitized in the middle of the throw-in-five-kitchen-sink battles, but here the author also managed to build a creepy atmosphere of tension to prelude the gobbeting. Guh.
wayfriend wrote:Well, nay is neigh, what horsies say. And Bahn is bon, good.
Bahn also denotes “train/track” in German, so what is he? Neigh-train? A locomotive in the shape of a horse?

Unfortunately haven’t had time to read the redemption essay yet. On my post-fest to-do list.
wayfriend wrote:This bit struck me. It's as if Covenant has bodily become a tool or a weapon which Clyme is weilding. An image which is repeated later in the lurker's pool.

Somehow, to me, this sharpens the idea that Covenant is an agent, as I said above. He exists to accomplish the Land's rescue. He's not a person with needs or emotional issues or even dignity at this point. I wish I could be more clear about what's in my head. But I see, in these scenes, Covenant being a vehicle, a delivery mechanism.
So, place a lightbulb into Covenant’s mouth and it’ll light the room…wield a Covenant to prepare delicious tentacle sushi... Didn’t SRD hint the same in the 2nd chronicles, though, when the Despiser pumped him full of venom, so that he might explode into an uncontrollable super-tornado of wild magic and thus break the arch? Isn’t this a “vessel” of a certain ilk as well? I have never bought the theory (unless SRD himself mentioned it somewhere) that TC’s the actual Creator; how would he have externalized the ochre-robed gaffer into the “real world” to fall as if dead afore a lush woman in her prime to get some most convenient mouth-to-mouth resuscitation from her; a person TC had never even faced before? But a Creator’s substitute, a steward, an inheritor of the role? As such, the Creator would then never have “abandoned” his terra firma, but ensured its continuity by planting this trinity of angsty anti-heroes within (each a guardian/agent/steward of some important aspect of universal standards)...also one must mull over the fact that:
Spoiler
What if Covenant had faced Ragnarökkr alone? Would he have been able to recreate the Earth without the two other points of the triangle?
wayfriend wrote:Is numbness relevant to Covenant's final confrontation with Foul?
Spoiler
Yes. One must be “numb” to embrace their own evil.
Now I’m beginning to reach the time of the day when analyzing philosophical fantasy becomes as easy as nailing water into the ceiling, and the bed appears most inviting. Besides, it's Thursday.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Frostheart wrote:
Spoiler
What if Covenant had faced Ragnarökkr alone? Would he have been able to recreate the Earth without the two other points of the triangle?
Spoiler
Nope. Knowing SRD's paradigms, what you refer to are the completions of his trinity.
Frostheart wrote:Besides, it's Thursday.
One day from being in love...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I agree SD..
Spoiler
Interesting question there Frosty...and the answer,,okay,,the Surreal perspective is..no. Hope by itself does not make a person whole..The Un-divided human,,the human not divided, conflicted, by the very way he or she has been taught to think and perceive,,has always been the Surreal goal for any individual human being. So, yes Hope requires the two other points of the trinity..Love and Compassion.. Of course,,what is Love is a all time question and Compassion is no lite weight either.. But ..LCs as the author has it,,Jeremiah is the embodiment, the metaphor, for Compassion as Linden is the metaphor for Love ..I think that is the point, a subtle one at that..the Trinity is nothing without interaction between and amongst the 3 points, 3 elements..Together, a Whole Human Being is possibly positively reinforced..positively rewarded by the behavior . Separately each element remains parametered by the lack of interaction with the others..example..a saying I like...Creating a future without Love and Hope.. only repeats the past. ...Maybe thats the LC's in a nut shell..

So, to me the author says ,,no..to triumph over despair, the Triumvirate of Love, Hope and Compassion is required. Its is there we become " whole" and it is there , the answer to, " Who Am I?" , our True Identity ,resides...imho anyway..
pg4 TLD
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thought so!

It may be Freyrsday now, but still feeling like Grumpy Cat in a bucket of cold water. :ct12:
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

lurch wrote:well I don't kno any Parrhesia, but allow me to speak freely here and say, cigarettes are bad for you. I shouldn't have to tell you, but in all truthfulness, cigarettes are a bad idea. ..okay?
Thank you, lurch. I haven't had a cig in decades. I was just playing off Frosty's... libidinous theme. ;)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Return to “Last Chronicles”