Best Medieval RPG

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Poider
Stonedownor

Best Medieval RPG

Post by Poider »

What is the best, most realistic RPG that depicts truly the medieval world?
Peter
It is better to have tried and failed then to have failed to try!
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Could you specify medieval a bit more? We're talking here about a period of roughly thousand years. Even though there has been a lot stagnation in those days, there are a lot of differences between Early, High and Late Middle Ages.

Furthermore, what is your citeria of judging wether something is "truly depicted" or not?

I daresay it is impossible to truly depict something you have not experienced first hand and even then it's your personal impression and not necessarily a common experience, let a lone a "truth".
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

I would probably prefer the early ages, as for truth, maybe I mean something that doesn't have huge monsters and creatures that we are pretty sure didn't exist.
Peter
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Best Medieval RPG

Post by Vraith »

Poider wrote:What is the best, most realistic RPG that depicts truly the medieval world?
Peter
Why the HELL would you want that? [by RPG, I assume you are talking table-top not video...though in the end it makes little difference]

Neal Stepenson, in Cryptonomicon, had a theme/subject line [minor one] about folk who wanted the most "real" RPG...thought people who played other kinds were basically stupid fucks.

My reaction...that shit is BORING!!! Why play an RPG if you want it to be as "real" as possible? None of them really want that.

You don't want that either.
The most "realistic" game medieval is:::people do really hard [yet simultaneously boring] shit all day long every day just so they can eat and that will ["naturally"] kill them 20 years too early...but most of them don't need to worry about that cuz other asshole people will probably kill them 10 or 20 years earlier than that.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Yeah, not many games out there that give a "true" medieval experience.

The only one video game I can think of is Medieval: Total War. But, it's not a RPG. And as far as tabletop, there exists no game I can think of that is period appropriate. Unless you have a large group of friends who like to LARP.

There is a period appropriate medieval(?) RPG coming out next year-ish called Kingdom Come: Deliverance set in the 15th century that looks very interesting:

youtu.be/JdPyK1fI6Dw

The World:

youtu.be/kA8rTyIO0xE

Combat:

youtu.be/SnKbKkhHXrQ
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

a medievil RPG??..a rocket propelled grenade of medieval times..??..howabut a bucket of poop and rocks launched by a catapult?

...kids these days..why I oughtta..and get off my lawn!!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

I wasn't really looking for an enjoyable game as such, just wanted to see if there was any computer game that enabled me to walk though medieval towns etc.
Peter
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Poider, try this. I read about it in the latest edition of my Richard II Society bulletin and watched it. It is very good, but short.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/students-recr ... ml#uSnQ7sV
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Poider wrote:I wasn't really looking for an enjoyable game as such, just wanted to see if there was any computer game that enabled me to walk though medieval towns etc.
Peter
Ah, a computer game. :D Y'know, I can't think of any strictly accurate RPG's set then. Closest to medieval is probably something like The Witcher II or maybe Skyrim, but obviously they're not accurate in terms of the historical period.

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”