Boko Haram and Modern Slavery

Archive From The 'Tank
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Boko Haram and Modern Slavery

Post by SerScot »

What the hell is up with Boko Haram?

edition.cnn.com/2014/05/05/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

From the Article:
(CNN) -- Fears for the fate of more than 200 Nigerian girls turned even more nightmarish Monday when the leader of the Islamist group that kidnapped them announced plans to sell them.

"I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah," a man claiming to be Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau said in a video first obtained by Agence France-Presse.

"There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women," he continued, according to a CNN translation from the local Hausa language.

Boko Haram means "Western education is sin." In his nearly hourlong, rambling video, Shekau repeatedly called for Western education to end.

"Girls, you should go and get married," he said.

The outrageous threat means the girls' parents worst fears could be realized. Parents have been avoiding speaking to the media for fear their daughters may be singled out for reprisals.
Is this guy really trying to argue that he has a religious right to capture and sell human beings? Further, this genius has a following? I thought slavery ended in the 19th Century. Where is this coming from??

What's worse is that these jackasses appear to be contradicting their own faith:
Manumission of Slaves [46:723] Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ashari: The Prophet said, “He who has a slave-girl and teaches her good manners and improves her education and then manumits and marries her, will get a double reward;
Good lord.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

People who want to do something, even something awful, will always find a way to rationalize it in their minds so that they are able to convince themselves that they are somehow doing something good. This was just a horrible snatch-and-grab to get nearly 200 young women (minus the ones who managed to escape) and sell them to human traffickers, a crime for which the punishment should be public execution followed by having your corpse ground up and mixed with compost for flower beds.

Boko Haram is an indicator that the government in Lagos is not in control of the country, at least not completely.

Perhaps I should merge this with the extant Nigeria thread.....
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Silly Muslim, doesn't he know you're supposed to get your slaves from outside your own country?
In Leviticus 25:44, God wrote:As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:People who want to do something, even something awful, will always find a way to rationalize it in their minds so that they are able to convince themselves that they are somehow doing something good.
See...people say that all the time...not just individuals now talking about the issue, people or peopleS throughout history.

But I don't believe it for one freaking second in 99.9% of the cases.

Most of the time they are freaking wrong and they know full well they are wrong.

They don't do those things cuz it is "right" or "good," in a large sense...they do it cuz they get orgasms or power or both.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The point I was making was the people will often do something which is wrong even though they know that it is wrong because they come up with some illogical or irrational justification that excuses their actions, at least to themselves. The rest of us know that what they are doing is wrong and will tell them so even though they will ignore us.

These guys are like the other guys who claim that their religion tells them that it is okay to car bomb a marketplace. Those people are not actually religious; rather, they just wanted to blow something up so they craft some religious-sounding reasons to excuse their actions.

"Western education is sin" my ass. Our education system may not be perfect but at least in the West our 13-year-old daughters get an education. If this Mr. Shekau (presuming that is his real name, which I doubt) had his way our 13-year-old daughters would already be married.

In the meantime, President Jonathan is asking for help from the international community to rescue the abductees.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, nothing to do with religion. If anything, goes to show the true colours of Boko Haram.

--A

Return to “Coercri”