The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Damelon wrote:a fine pinot noir
mmmmmm..... pinot noir.....
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Testing is beginning for the 6 hour work day here.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

My work day is 7.5 hours. Secretaries in our NY office work 7-hour days. I'm not surprised that someone's trying a 6-hour day. I could certainly get as much done in 6 hours as I do in 7.5.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Where I work, they are going the opposite way, especially for anyone in a management position. More hours, not less. The expectation is that if you are a Manager, you are available 24/7 and expected to work as needed. That means staying late, or working during the weekend.

Our VP of logistics has said that it doesnt matter if you are on vacation, you should be available to answer your cell, and deal with a work issue as needed.

I have plans to get out of the logistics side of the business as soon as possible.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:D I'm at work 10 hours a day. But that's pretty much choice. I'm in an hour early in the mornings, and I don't take lunch. Legally 8 hours (working time) and an hour for lunch.

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Damelon wrote:a fine pinot noir
mmmmmm..... pinot noir.....
I'm a Cabernet Sauvignon guy myself.

--A
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

SoulBiter wrote:Where I work, they are going the opposite way, especially for anyone in a management position. More hours, not less. The expectation is that if you are a Manager, you are available 24/7 and expected to work as needed. That means staying late, or working during the weekend.

Our VP of logistics has said that it doesnt matter if you are on vacation, you should be available to answer your cell, and deal with a work issue as needed.

I have plans to get out of the logistics side of the business as soon as possible.
Ouch, that stinks. I hope you find a way out of that side of things soon.

Since the invent of the mobile and email, a lot of companies and clients thinks you should be available constantly. Also, during times of intense development and so, they think that you should work a lot as though your life's goals aligned with the company goals. I've managed the testing department for a software company in the past and remember the periods leading to major releases with great lack of fondness. My husband is a graphic designer and always has clients calling him at all hours when they have an idea for something they want to do wight heir advert campaigns and so. During our holiday time this year, he had to go in for two days to fix something for a client, too.

I recently read an article that some large companies are having email sent to people who are out on holidays auto-replied to with the name of a person to contact and then deleted. Something with this always on mentality has to go away, I think.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I still work the traditional 8a - 5p shift but when my manager was out on vacation for a week I got assigned the emergency on-call phone. After he came back, I wound up keeping it so I am technically always on call now. I don't mind because I am usually at home anyway so even if the phone does ring I can vpn into my computer at work and fix whatever needs to be fixed; any time I spend on the emergency phone is overtime for me.

SoulBiter, that is the curse of exempt (salaried) employees--you are always on the clock.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Coercri”