Generation Like

Archive From The 'Tank
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Generation Like

Post by lorin »

I watched this episode of Frontline this evening. Here is a link to the full episode.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/generation-like/

I found it particularly disturbing. It basically discusses the economy and evolution of "Liking" on places like Facebook, Instagram and twitter. The target are basically teens.
Whether they’re getting retweeted by members of One Direction, or liking the Hunger Games Facebook page for a chance to be included in the movie’s credits, today’s teens are directly interacting with pop culture — celebrities, movies, music, and, increasingly, brands — in ways never before possible.

Tweet pictures of yourself at a Lady Gaga concert, and maybe she’ll call you from the stage — a moment sponsored by the cell phone company Virgin Mobile.

Send Beyonce your selfie, and maybe it’ll be included in the Pepsi-sponsored intro to her Super Bowl halftime show.

Do kids think they’re being used to promote these brands? Do they care? Or in a new teenage reality where being Internet famous seems to be just a click or a post away, does the perceived chance to be the next big star make it all worth it?

In Generation Like, an eye-opening follow-up to FRONTLINE’s 2001 documentary The Merchants of Cool, author Douglas Rushkoff returns to the world of youth culture to explore how the perennial teen quest for identity and connection has migrated to social media — and how big brands are increasingly co-opting young consumers’ digital presences.

“Today’s teens don’t need to be chased down by corporations,” Rushkoff says. “They’re putting themselves online for anyone to see. They tell the world what they think is cool—starting with their own online profiles. Likes, follows, retweets, and favorites are the social currency of this generation.”

And they’re a very real currency for marketers: instead of selling the product to the teenage audience, the idea is to get the teenage audience to sell the product to itself — and for corporations to collect big data in the process.

“Companies know how to take that data, and turn it into money,” one marketer tells FRONTLINE. “The people who are handing over the data — because they’re hitting, ‘I like this’ or ‘I like that,’ or they’re telling all their friends, ‘Will you please come like me? — they have no idea what the value of that is.”

From the agency that’s leveraging the Twitter followers of celebrities like Ian Somerhalder (The Vampire Diaries) to make lucrative product endorsement deals, to the “grassroots” social media campaign behind the Hollywood blockbuster The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Generation Like explores how companies are increasingly enlisting kids as willing foot soldiers in their marketing machines.

In the social media age, does the division between marketing and authenticity still exist? What’s the hidden alchemy that brands are using to capture Generation Like? And who are the people behind the curtain making it all happen?

Generation Like is a powerful examination of the evolving and complicated relationship between young consumers and the companies that are increasingly working to target them – and their fans, friends, and followers.
I think what really bothered me was that these kids where so focused on becoming celebrities, not developing talents to become celebrities. So much of their self image was based on who Liked them, how many Likes they got. I had no idea how dramatic the numbers are and what kids are doing these days. They are so clueless to being used by big corporations, and even when they understand, they really don't care.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Lorin,

When the Karddasians and Paris Hilton became famous media figures not for any particular skill but only for being famous I think all bets were off. People, particularly teens, saw that fame was its own reward and self-fulfilling cycle.

Twitter/Facebook/Youtube just feed on that.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't think it's anything new, except perhaps a new way to talk about it. Kids have always wanted attention/praise for doing very little, and their self-image has always depended on who likes them. They've always sold products to themselves, because every kid wants to wear what the cool kids are wearing. Peer pressure and word of mouth has always been more powerful than commercials.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by SkurjMaster »

This is the age of narcissism. We got there in the 80's and Twitter/Facebook/Youtube has finally given the 'pay attention to me' crowd a vehicle to let loose.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The first selfie ever was taken on the first camera ever invented, by the inventor. :D

Z and SerScot are mostly right I think, but that doesn't mean Lorin is wrong either.

I take comfort in the fact that anybody whose parents have failed to prepare them for the reality will experience a short, sharp shock. :D

The information revolution is only just starting to change the way we act and think and respond. It's too new and too unstable for us to have come to terms with it yet.

There will be casualties. Eventually it will stabilise at some level though.

--A
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

I was just reading an article on the selfie/self-esteem/vanity topic. Was sort of interesting.

Know thy selfie
If Narcissus were here he’d be busy on instagram. Can we have a virtuous sense of worth without the vanity of self-love?

I liked this bit from the article:
Philosophers have always noticed that we are mirrors to each other, and we are easily wounded by finding that, in the gaze of other people, we are not quite as we would like to be. In A Treatise of Human Nature (1739), David Hume gives the wonderfully down-to-earth example that ‘a man will be mortified, if you tell him he has a stinking breath; though it is evidently no annoyance to himself’.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

People aren't more narcissistic now than in times past but the Internet gives them a greater opportunity to put their self-obsession out there for everyone to see.

Truth be told, almost no one cares what you had for lunch, where you are checking in with your friends while having whatever odd concoction you got from the barista, or that you are posting a picture of yourself either in a very awkward place (the restroom has to be the worst place to decide to take a picture of yourself), while wearing something of questionable taste (or stolen, as in the case of that one girl who uploaded photos of her five finger discount then bragged about it), or while flashing gang wannabe signs for which real gangsters would shoot you. The people who do care are waiting for you to do, say, or wear something stupid so that you can become the object of ridicule of the week--it is easy to make the front page of Failbook, it seems.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

This is what happens when we tell our children how wonderful, special and unique they are. ;)

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hey, c'mon. We're each unique. Just like everybody else. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

A couple dies taking a selfie at a cliff...
www.expressen.se/nyheter/skulle-ta-en-s ... t-sin-dod/
in english for the barbarians :P
A Polish couple have lost their lives after falling from cliff Cabo da Roca in Portugal. The couple - who are diplomats tried obviously take selfies with their children on the edge of the cliff.
The family lived in Portugal for many years, visited the cliffs which is a popular tourist destination when the accident occurred.
Portuguese authorities are now investigating the incident.
Emergency services were on Saturday night by a Spanish couple. The weather conditions did then that rescue workers could not recover the bodies but then the remains were recovered on Sunday.
The couple's children, who witnessed how parents plunged below the precipice, is 5 to 6 years and is now being taken care of by Polish diplomats and cared even by psychologists.
People living in the virtual world more than the real world it seems. So interested to get the shot just so, looking at the screen and failing to look at what they were actually doing. Those poor kids who had to stand there and watch.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

You know, it occurs to me that I'm one of "those people". I ride around on a motorbike with impunity not thinking about any consequence.

I really ought to post my pictures here, as I'm an old guy who (I guess) lives on the edge.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Cail wrote:You know, it occurs to me that I'm one of "those people". I ride around on a motorbike with impunity not thinking about any consequence.

I really ought to post my pictures here, as I'm an old guy who (I guess) lives on the edge.
Sorry, but you will need to install a camera on your motorcycle so it points to you. Each morning, you should do a selfie while riding (take the helmet off so we can see your lovely smile, too). Preferably, you should also open a youtube channel and do a video blog while riding each day. In the evening ride home, you should again do a selfie and then blog about what you had for lunch and rate it on some arbitrary scale and tell us about your work gossip and the trivialities of your daily life.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Ananda wrote:
Cail wrote:You know, it occurs to me that I'm one of "those people". I ride around on a motorbike with impunity not thinking about any consequence.

Sorry, but you will need to install a camera on your motorcycle so it points to you. Each morning, you should do a selfie while riding (take the helmet off so we can see your lovely smile, too). Preferably, you should also open a youtube channel and do a video blog while riding each day. In the evening ride home, you should again do a selfie and then blog about what you had for lunch and rate it on some arbitrary scale and tell us about your work gossip and the trivialities of your daily life.
I agree! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

aliantha wrote:
Ananda wrote:

I agree! :lol:
Y'all are weird. :biggrin:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Post by Avatar »

Cails Breakfast Bike Blog

:D

--A
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Avatar wrote:Cails Breakfast Bike Blog

:D

--A
Subscribed, Liked, ReTwittered, Five Camels and a Goated