.....Fantasy series you never finished. [And why.]

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Melanie Rawn....get it? Because she doesn't finish fantasy series, so if you started them you have not either? Guffaw!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I actually read a couple of Rawn's books way, way back. Forgot about those. Sort of a cross between Game of Thrones and All My Children.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:I actually read a couple of Rawn's books way, way back. Forgot about those. Sort of a cross between Game of Thrones and All My Children.
Now there's a ringing endorsement! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Oh...here's a "good" one. I'm sure I've mentioned it before.
It's basically "King Arthur...IN SPACE!!" Celts and pagans [and I think Atlanteans...oh, and IIRC, their spaceships are shaped like DRAGONS. :haha: ]

Wretched.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keltiad :haha:
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Didn't Stephen Lawhead try to match up the Arthurian cycle with the Atlantis myth, too? :lol:

Ah, I see the author is taking her subsequent novels indie. Good for her. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

She actually managed 8 of them? :D Never read them myself.

What was that about Melanie Rawn? I like her books. And there are two complete series which I've read and enjoyed. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Gosh michaelm, was that Dragons of the Autumn Twilight [or some such title. I really liked that trilogy :oops: . I know some of their later works were absolute bollocks - but those first two trilogies seemed really good fum to me. [No accounting for taste ;) ]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

peter wrote:Gosh michaelm, was that Dragons of the Autumn Twilight [or some such title. I really liked that trilogy :oops: . I know some of their later works were absolute bollocks - but those first two trilogies seemed really good fum to me. [No accounting for taste ;) ]
That sounds about right. I just saw way too many parallels to LOTR in it, and really couldn't find much to like about any of the characters as they just hadn't been worked on to the extent that I found them original or interesting.

The wizard character was Gandalf, through and through, even to the extent of really being a minor god. There were hobbit equivalents, the elves had the same general personalities as LOTR. The orcs were lizards or some such thing.

I got through it, so I suppose it had some redeeming qualities, but I just knew I couldn't face another installment of that.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

michaelm wrote:
peter wrote:Gosh michaelm, was that Dragons of the Autumn Twilight [or some such title. I really liked that trilogy :oops: . I know some of their later works were absolute bollocks - but those first two trilogies seemed really good fum to me. [No accounting for taste ;) ]
That sounds about right. I just saw way too many parallels to LOTR in it, and really couldn't find much to like about any of the characters as they just hadn't been worked on to the extent that I found them original or interesting.

The wizard character was Gandalf, through and through, even to the extent of really being a minor god. There were hobbit equivalents, the elves had the same general personalities as LOTR. The orcs were lizards or some such thing.

I got through it, so I suppose it had some redeeming qualities, but I just knew I couldn't face another installment of that.
I didn't think they were great. But I have a fond feeling nowadays for the Dragons and Twins trilogies.
Of course, the LOTR similarities have everything to do with the fact the books are directly, intimately, part of/born from Dungeons and Dragons RPG. [Though I didn't see the wizard as anything like Gandalf. He's actually much more Saruman...only more successful, and with a final change of heart]

On topic...just had to look up who wrote it, couldn't remember...another bad "Arthur" rip-o.....er..."inspired" series I never finished. Started with "The Crystal Cave." and that's the only one I read. I THINK I once started one of the others??? Mary Stewart.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Mary Stewart I recall from my university days. I never read her but she had a big following back in the day. Someone lent me 'TCC' and I think I read the first four pages before abandoning it so yes - I suppose for me she also qualifies [just] as an 'also ran'. ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I think I made it through all of the Mary Stewart novels, back in the day.

Does the world really need another take on the Arthurian cycle? Doesn't England have *any* other myths to write about? :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Post by Avatar »

Oh, and apart from The Hobbit, I cut my fantasy teeth on Dragonlance, so they, and some other series by the same authors, have a fond place in my heart.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

aliantha wrote:I think I made it through all of the Mary Stewart novels, back in the day.

Does the world really need another take on the Arthurian cycle? Doesn't England have *any* other myths to write about? :lol:
Strangely, now that you ask Ali, you happen to be talking to the world's greatest living expert on 'The Gannell Shrike', a mythical [or not so] beast that was said to roam the mists of a south-western estuary back in Victorian times, snatching poor fisherfolk from their isolated beds on stormy nights. As the sole living individuals to emark upon an expedition to corner and entrap the beast [armed with jam sandwhiches and a ball of string] my wife and I qualify, I think, as world experts on the subject. [Ours was an odd courtship, some might say ;) ]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Same for me, Av. As I think I mentioned earlier, I only gave up on the books somewhere shortly after the second Elven Nations trilogy. Though, apart from Weiss and Hickman, the only author's name I felt was worth remembering was Richard Knack's. I remember really liking the Huma and Kaz the Minotaur books, though I can't remember a single thing about either of them. I believe Knack went on to write for one of the Star Wars or Star Trek series of books.
Does the world really need another take on the Arthurian cycle? Doesn't England have *any* other myths to write about?
Well, there's the Mabinogion, but I'm not sure if people crib from it more than they do Lloyd Alexander.

Speaking of Arthurian myth, I read Mythago Wood about a year ago. It was a strange book, my recollection of it probably made more so by the flu I came down with shortly after I read it. I recommend it, though, and will have to hunt down Holdstock's other novels eventually.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

There's Boudica/Brigantia, too -- there was a brief flurry of interest in her a few years ago, but her story doesn't seem to have the same universal appeal as the Arthurian saga.

For me, the Mabinogion falls into the same category as Irish myth -- i.e., it's more Celtic than British. Although considering that I'm geographically challenged when it comes to Britain, I could just be a dumb American. ;)

peter, you should write a book. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

[Syl] wrote: I believe Knack went on to write for one of the Star Wars or Star Trek series of books.
He's also one of the main authors of World of Warcraft books. I have not read any of them, but several in my guild say they're very good. Christie Golden's WoW series is supposed to be worth reading as well.

I gave up on Dragonlance after they totally ripped off Eternal Champion.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Sorus wrote:
[Syl] wrote: I believe Knack went on to write for one of the Star Wars or Star Trek series of books.
He's also one of the main authors of World of Warcraft books. I have not read any of them, but several in my guild say they're very good. Christie Golden's WoW series is supposed to be worth reading as well.

Also had a big hit with 'My Sharona'. :biggrin:
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

michaelm wrote:
Sorus wrote:

Also had a big hit with 'My Sharona'. :biggrin:
:LOLS:

One author I could NOT get into was Melanie Rawn. I got about halfway through the first book and threw it across the room. I think the book was The Ruins of Ambrai.

Post by Avatar »

Never heard of it. I've read her Dragon Prince trilogy and th sequel trilogy and loved them though.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”