My hometown! College riots, shut down public event?

Archive From The 'Tank
rdhopeca
The Master

My hometown! College riots, shut down public event?

Post by rdhopeca »

Ok so my hometown of Keene has won the Guiness Book of World Records number of lighted pumpkins in one place for many years running. This year the local college boozeheads decided to riot, and now there is talk of shutting it down.

Go New Hampshire.

www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/mayhe ... 54d4a.html
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Years before they used to drink from the fountain of fun. Looks like they started bringing cases of stupid.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Were they, ostensibly, rioting about anything in particular?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Fist and Faith wrote:Were they, ostensibly, rioting about anything in particular?
Their right to congregate, throw rocks and bottles, and generally be idiots.
Rob

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ha, I remember addressing this in the militarization thread:
On Tue Mar 25, 2014, I wrote:
Keene, a small town in New Hampshire which had three homicides between 1999 and 2012, spent nearly $286,000 on an armoured personnel-carrier known as a BearCat. The local police chief said it would be used to patrol Keene’s “Pumpkin Festival and other dangerous situations”.
Damn, that sounds like one hell of a raucous pumpkin festival! I'm going to have to make a road trip this fall!
Looks like I spoke too soon. They needed that BearCat after all! :lol:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Zarathustra wrote:Ha, I remember addressing this in the militarization thread:
Keene, a small town in New Hampshire which had three homicides between 1999 and 2012, spent nearly $286,000 on an armoured personnel-carrier known as a BearCat. The local police chief said it would be used to patrol Keene’s “Pumpkin Festival and other dangerous situations”.
Damn, that sounds like one hell of a raucous pumpkin festival! I'm going to have to make a road trip this fall!
Money well spent, apparently. They even had helicopters out. :roll:
Rob

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Zarathustra wrote:Ha, I remember addressing this in the militarization thread:
:LOLS:

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

We hardly ever get national news out of New Hampshire, making this story doubly important.

Druken revelers revel drunkenly.

My favorite person in the video is the policeman holding his shield upside down.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Funny how the Brown supporters have pounced all over these white folks rioting. What a sad existence that the color of one's skin is all that matters.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

how about charging each person arrested for the damage. make the bastards pay or serve time equal to the amount they owe.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Did anyone damage anything? Did anyone loot?

If no, then nothing needs to be done and we should all encourage people to congregate whenever they feel like it as long as they don't get violent.

If they did then find the ones responsible and give them the usual "fullest extent of the law" treatment.

We don't gather in crowds in the streets enough in this country any more....
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

When inebriated college students throw rocks and bottles, some damage is highly likely...although the distribution of that damage may differ from the original intent.

The lot at Keene may end up with convictions...but their convictions will never have the fortitude of the convictions behind the Hong Kong protesters.

There is difference between Doing It in the Road and Taking It to the Street.

:roll:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

They flipped a car over and danced on it. Yeah, I think there was some damage.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

We don't gather in crowds in the streets enough in this country any more....
Absolutely. I'd love more public crowds. Not just for political purposes, either. For things like this 'fest, concerts in the park, block parties, all kinds of things.

I wonder how many of those damn drunken college students actually threw bottles or whatever? I wonder how many of them flipped a car?

Incidents like this are NOT a sign that the nation is going to hell.
Banning events like this is NOT a solution...since there's barely even a problem.
And military hardware is just going to make things worse, not better.
[[though it is funny in its way that Z's thing kinda came true.]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I have not seen the police response videos yet. please tell me they used tear gas, water cannons, riot batons, riot shields.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

sgt.null wrote:I have not seen the police response videos yet. please tell me they used tear gas, water cannons, riot batons, riot shields.
That's my understanding. The mob was tearing up street signs, setting fires, overturning cars, and throwing rocks and bottles. Damage indeed. All 100 yards from my parents' house.
Last edited by rdhopeca on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Vraith wrote: Absolutely. I'd love more public crowds. Not just for political purposes, either. For things like this 'fest, concerts in the park, block parties, all kinds of things.
I second this.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

and I'd love to get a counter-crowd together to club idiots who run riot.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

rdhopeca wrote:
sgt.null wrote:I have not seen the police response videos yet. please tell me they used tear gas, water cannons, riot batons, riot shields.
That's my understanding. The mob was tearing up street signs, setting fires, overturning cars, and throwing rocks and bottles. Damage indeed. All 100 yards from my parents' house.
Apparently, Rob, the people in your parents' neighborhood have an inferior culture that doesn't instill civic responsibility and respect for property rights. You sure you didn't grow up in a single-parent household?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

[Syl] wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:
Apparently, Rob, the people in your parents' neighborhood have an inferior culture that doesn't instill civic responsibility and respect for property rights. You sure you didn't grow up in a single-parent household?
Most of the perpetrators are rumored to have come from out of town, or to be college kids who may or may not have been raised locally.

And no, I didn't grow up in a single parent household :)
Rob

Return to “Coercri”