Shakespeare or Tyndale?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I do hear what you're saying Orlion, but don't think I'll run with your advice just yet [ ;) ]. Here's why. I'd always intended to read the bible cover to cover - if for no other reason than Harold Bloom considered that even were it not a 'book of scripture' it would be one of the greatest pieces of literature that humanity has ever produced. Now as the years have progressed it became apparent that I was never going to achieve this goal - I'd just set the bar too high for me to jump, and so it came as a pleasant suprise to find that there were special editions that were specifically designed to present this work at it's literary best [whether they suceed or not we can discuss, but this is their intention] but in a manner that was more acessable. So I have accepted the [granted, lesser] achievement of reading one of these versions over the option of never reading the book at all. This could well be a failing on my part, to be willing to accept less of myself than nothing - but hey, we all gotta make compromises in life ;) . I don't however get the idea however that the editing has made the book any less understandable - the repetition that serves to illustrate an issue [or whatever] as in viewing a diamond from it's different facet's is all [as far as I am aware] left in place. Certainly the 'seeing it in the context of it's times' is crucial to a full appreciation of the material - but again it is not necessarily counter-productive to feel a sadness that those were indeed 'the times'.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Hey, peter! Just saw a quote about Tyndale's writing last night, so that's my excuse for asking you what I've wanted to ask for awhile:
"How goes the great quest?" :biggrin:

I had some questions in mind from when you were on the prophets... never got around to asking them, though. (!)
Let me know if you want me to shoot them your way!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It progresses Linna, but to my shame has taken a bit of a back seat in the last few months :oops: . I will pick up the trail again now under your most gentle of persuasion, and let you know where I stand. IIRC I was into some quite obscure and difficult characters in my last readings and would gladly know your thoughts on them. Give me a day or two to recap and I'll come back to you. :)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

peter wrote:...I will pick up the trail again now under your most gentle of persuasion, and let you know where I stand. IIRC I was into some quite obscure and difficult characters in my last readings and would gladly know your thoughts on them. Give me a day or two to recap and I'll come back to you. :)
Yay. :banana:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wow! Took me ages to find my 'Bible' [house is a bit disrupted at the moment due to 'works in progess' etc] and then ages to find this thread! :lol:

A quick recap of my progress Linna; I've made a good inroad into the 'Prohetical Books', and have completed Amos, Hosea, Micah, Isaiah, Zephania, Nahum and Habakkuk. I'm most of the way through Jeremiah, and still have Lamentations, Ezekiel, The Unknown prophet, Obadiah, Haggai, Zechariah, Joel and Malachi to read.

How have I fared with them? hmmm...

Given that some time has passed since I read most of them, I don't recall finding them terribly easy going to be honest. The 'fire and brimstone' approach of much of the content, together with the more 'poetical' nature of the books does make for a harder read in my case. Oddly it is, I think, the latter fact that seems to be making the difference. My 'literature-ised' version swaps between prose and poetical presentation of the text [the bulk being in the traditional 'lines' of poetry, and the verse, not having an easy 'meter' to discern [ala much westen poetry] does not flow easily from the page to the eye [or to the mind via the eye]. I have had more sucess with the perhaps more well known material of Isiah and Jeremiah simply because it [as well as being peppered with 'quotes' that I recognize] is largely presented in prose form - well Jeremiah at least. Some of the more obscure works were hard going also because of the seriously angry and vengefull tone of the words spoken. They cut very little slack for normal human frailty, which I posess Linna in bucketloads [ ;) ]. I'm currently at the point where Jeremiah is prophesying a return to Jerusalem of the captive elements of the Peoples of Isreal and Judea [carried off by Nebuchadrezzar [my Book's spelling] and of course this is of particular interest by virtue of the fact that it is an area of the Bible that is confirmed by alternative historical scources as having actually occured; it serves as a salutary reminder that not only is the Bible a collection of huge religious significance, a high point of literary achievement of human-kind, but also an invaluable historical record of the earliest days of mankind following the development of 'civillisation'. Fantastic!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

It's some time since I read the Bible right through, and I must admit to missing out Leviticus. All those rules. My favourite book is Job "For I know that my redeemer liveth" etc. I "did it" for A level RE. You are at the bit that one of my favourite pieces of music is based on - William Walton's "Belshazzar's Feast". I suppose the Boney M version (although that really is Psalm 137) is better known, but having heard the Walton at the Albert Hall, twice, in 1970 and 1971 I fell in love with it. I still have the vynil!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'll chase that up forthwith Io. Bible inspired music is not something I'm clued up on, but I suspect it's right up there with art of the visual kind! :).

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Poor old Job.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Iolanthe wrote:It's some time since I read the Bible right through, and I must admit to missing out Leviticus. All those rules. My favourite book is Job "For I know that my redeemer liveth" etc.
Job is my favorite book as well, Iolanthe! I believe it's the only book in the Bible purposely written as a dramatic work! I can easily see it converted to a play or musical (with some editing of course).

As for Leviticus: well, it's good to read if you have insomnia... :Z: ;)

Post by Avatar »

Apart from Proverbs, my favourite book is probably the Revelation of St John the Divine of Patmos. Psalms has its moments.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Ah, Revelation! The book that Thomas Jefferson described as "the ravings of a maniac"! But it has lots of colorful imagery, that's for sure.

Yes, the Psalms have their beautiful moments.

Post by Avatar »

Cord Hurn wrote:Ah, Revelation! The book that Thomas Jefferson described as "the ravings of a maniac"! But it has lots of colorful imagery, that's for sure.
The Patmos islands, where he was exiled, are well known for the quantity and quality of psychedelic mushrooms which grow there. :)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It appears I can save myself a great deal of time and effort by simply sitting down and watching The Bible, a 10 hour miniseries produced for The History Chanell, and currently airing on Netflix. Prodcers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett are philosophical in dealing with criticisms pertaining to the series at times shakey adherance to the biblical facts, claiming that always they have maintained 'the spirit' of the original, even if playing fast and loose with the stories themselves. Where they do draw the line however is at the suggestion that actor Mohamen Mehdi Ouazzani was deliberately selected due his striking resemblance with Barak Obama for the all important role of Satan.......

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Seems to me comparing a book with a play is very problematical. It is akin to asking who was better--Beethoven or Victor Hugo? Rudolf Nureyev or Alec Guinness? They are fundamentally different media.

You can generally rank works within first or second or third ranks if you like (although that'll still spark plenty of debate). In that case both of these would almost certainly belong in the first rank of their respective fields. But frankly that is about all you can go towards actually answering the question meaningfully.

IMHO
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: I'm not about to abandon my life-long held ambition to read the Bible cover to cover just once in favor of watching the History Channel version Zahir - promise! ;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Why on earth would you want to do that? (Of course, there are some gems...2 Kings 2:23-24 for example. :D )

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. He cometh forth like a flower and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow and continueth not! ;)

(One of my favorites, Job 14)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Poor old Job. :lol:

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

A kindred spirit I consider him! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

More like the butt of a cruel joke.

--A

Return to “General Literature Discussion”