How friendly is "Too Friendly" Catcalling on the s

Archive From The 'Tank
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

How friendly is "Too Friendly" Catcalling on the s

Post by SerScot »

Anyone else see this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhzhhYJPFEg

I live in the South. I commonly say "Hello" or "How are you" to anyone I pass male or female. That said this video, wow, are people really this aggressive?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Re: How friendly is "Too Friendly" Catcalling on t

Post by lorin »

SerScot wrote:Anyone else see this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhzhhYJPFEg

I live in the South. I commonly say "Hello" or "How are you" to anyone I pass male or female. That said this video, wow, are people really this aggressive?
In NY they are always like that but to me it was pretty mellow compared to the old days (except for the guy that followed her for 5 minutes, that was creepy). I was more interested in the comments to the video. A lot of angry people out there.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I see two things.....

- Some genuine cordiality. I too was raised to acknowledge others when passing them on the street.

- A distinct lack of white people. I don't know if this woman set out to make a statement on race, but the video certainly does.

I also find it interesting that this takes place in a liberal northern city.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cail wrote:I too was raised to acknowledge others when passing them on the street.
Hell, I was raised in a place where people waved at each other from their cars as they passed in the road.

Most were obviously flirting. So what? Flirting isn't harassment--though stalking her for a few minutes is. But many were very nice about it.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra wrote:
Cail wrote:I too was raised to acknowledge others when passing them on the street.
Hell, I was raised in a place where people waved at each other from their cars as they passed in the road.
Ohgoshyes. We do that all the time.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

lorin,

Wow, I hadn't even looked at the comments.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I thought this one was funny:
Farts 'N Barf5 wrote:
And that's not even sexual harassment. I know niggas are crude, but most of these men were just saying hello and giving her a compliment. How else are you supposed to get pussy? It's not just going to offer itself to you. Most women will just ignore these niggas, but there's that 5% that will go out with them...to McDonalds...for dinner. :) Black people have no shame, but hey, just like Lotto, you got to be in it to win it. 
Good point, Farts 'N Barf5! [Just kidding. :lol: ] So I guess she slept with 5 of these guys, if 5% of come-ons result in sex?

You play the eye game first, then you talk her. That's how you get pussy, FnB5! If she wants you to talk to her, you'll know (if you're paying attention).
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

"Dayyyym, I just saw a thousand dollars!"
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

yeah there was some verbal harassment but much of that was just cordial speaking. I typically say 'hi' or 'hows it going' or 'how ya doing' to people I pass on the street. I also share smiles very often with people. Its amazing to see someones face light up sometimes when you just ackowledge their existence
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I don't acknowledge other people unless they do so first. This isn't because I am better than they are; rather, it is simply because I am so indifferent to other people that I don't bother expending the effort to acknowledge them first. Yes, I know they are there--I tend to be aware of my surroundings at all times--but they don't interest me enough to nod or say "hello".

I mind my own business and I expect other people to mind their own, as well.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

she picked a street / locale that would give her the reaction she wanted. she got the reaction from a handful and then lumped the creepers in with people just being friendly. she posts this as it is a surprise.

what a shock.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Sgt.,

That doesn't make the "creeping" okay does it? As such why diminish the "creeping" by pointing out she wanted to demonstrate this sort of "creeping"?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

How friendly is too friendly? When the attention is not wanted. As an example: if I'm reading a book and someone approaches me and says hello, nice weather, watcha reading, I would potentially want to say, "Go fuck yourself", because I'm a crotchety old man.

But that also doesn't mean that Mr. Friendly was in the wrong, in fact most people would probably say I was the one over-reacting, that I should engage in inane conversation with a complete stranger to satisfy his capricious extroverted whims........

The point is, being polite goes both ways, and there are situations where you will get more attention than others. If I read in public, there's a chance I'll have to deal with a curious person looking for a new read (or, more likely, the screeching of unruly children). If I want to read by myself, I should put myself in such a situation.

Same with catcalls or advances. We should all be intelligent enough to not make them unsolicited at, say, a gas station (Hey, baby, how about you pump my gas at a 20 cent per gallon discount?). Some people aren't, and they'll be lonely losers for the rest of their lives. But if you are out at the clubs, bars, essentially at places where the point is to socialize and flirt... well, don't be surprised when they occur.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion wrote:How friendly is too friendly?
well, for the woman who made that video it seems saying hello is harassment.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Maybe it's from my time in the South, or my time in California, or my motorcycling, but I acknowledge strangers all the time. Doesn't matter what sex or color they are.

It's a regular thing when I'm out on the road to strike up a conversation with another rider at a gas or water stop. Same thing if I'm having a cigar and a scotch in a motel parking lot. And then there's all the curious non-riders who have questions/comments about the bike or the gear I'm wearing.

Maybe I'm just a friendly guy, but I talk to strangers all the time. I compliment them too. Just the way I was raised I suppose.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm sure there are a lot of old, lonely, or simply unattractive people who would love to have others be more interested and friendly to them. Granted, no one wants to be harassed, but mixing in a bunch of people being friendly with a few who are harassing is just a dishonest attempt to swell the numbers, making all those other harmless guys guilty by editorial proximity.

Using this to smear guys in general (that's what she's doing) is just as bad as if someone went out and video taped a bunch of black guys being rude and then blamed all black men. And as Cail pointed out, you actually could use the same exact "evidence" in her video to make exactly this conclusion, if you were inclined to use her flawed logic. All you have to do is change the definition of your set, and then apply the same reasoning to the same evidence.

Either way, it's a lie, propaganda. I think the most honest part comes at the end, when they ask for our money ... with no explanation how that will stop guys from saying "hello" or "have a nice evening," as some of the comments pointed out.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

When you walk in NYC it is very different neighborhood to neighborhood. It appears this woman was walking in areas that had many West Indian people. By nature they are very friendly. They say hello to everyone. They say God Bless to everyone. These are not catcalling construction workers, they are just neighborhood guys. They say hello to me all the time (even though most of them think I am either a protective service worker or I'm buying drugs.) and I am no hot young mama.

I think you all are right, this has a racist edge to it.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Zarathustra wrote:I thought this one was funny:
Farts 'N Barf5 wrote:
And that's not even sexual harassment. I know niggas are crude, but most of these men were just saying hello and giving her a compliment. How else are you supposed to get pussy? It's not just going to offer itself to you. Most women will just ignore these niggas, but there's that 5% that will go out with them...to McDonalds...for dinner. :) Black people have no shame, but hey, just like Lotto, you got to be in it to win it. 
Good point, Farts 'N Barf5! [Just kidding. :lol: ] So I guess she slept with 5 of these guys, if 5% of come-ons result in sex?

You play the eye game first, then you talk her. That's how you get pussy, FnB5! If she wants you to talk to her, you'll know (if you're paying attention).
I got stuck on this comment ...
StarrySkies swimming2 hours ago

How to Stop Street Harassment

Problem Definition
- Society expects men to aggressively initiate relationships with women.
- Men are absolutely driven to mate with women, and women have a much lower interest in casual sex.
- Moreover, women only want to mate with men of equivalent or higher social status and then only under very selective conditions.
-Some women do give their numbers to men who talk to them on the street. This encourages such men to continue approaching women in public.

Most Effective Solution
- Pass laws making it punishable by a $500 fine for men to initiate a casual conversation with female strangers.
- Have police aggressively enforce the law.

- Advertise the new law all over town on TV, radio, bus stops, billboards, schools, places of work and so on.

Less Effective Solutions
-Try to educate all men that women don't like strangers, particularly lower social status men, talking to them. Many men won't care about women's feelings. Most of those men will care about big fines and prison time.
-Rely on other men to stop men who talk to women in public. The men who try to protect women from other men talking to women risk physical fights and serious injury and even death. Most men aren't going to risk life and limb for other men who only talk with women in public.
If a law like that ever passed, say goodbye to me, since I would be moving the hell away from civilization for good.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I engage in inane conversation with complete strangers all the time. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I don't acknowledge other people unless they do so first. This isn't because I am better than they are; rather, it is simply because I am so indifferent to other people that I don't bother expending the effort to acknowledge them first. Yes, I know they are there--I tend to be aware of my surroundings at all times--but they don't interest me enough to nod or say "hello".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Coercri”