Page order.

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Page order.

Post by peter »

Am I correct; it seems to me that some threads add the latest posts as 'page 1' and the older posts go down toward the bigger numbers, others use the highest number page for the latest additions, the 1st page always being the page where the thread was initiated. Is this indeed the case or is it a case of my diease/age/drug/booze [delete as appropriate] addled brain getting the best of me.

[Also, some pages never come down to the 'width' of my computer screen so I have to do that scrolling along, back and forth thing to be able to read the posts - bahhh! :-x ]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm not sure what you're exactly talking about in the first bit, peter, you'll need to be more specific. In this type of forum the latest post is added to the end of the thread. Other types of forums (fora) do it differently, but it would be very unlikely that you would get a mix on the one forum. You probably visit another forum that does it differently from the Watch.

As regards page width, the main reason that some don't size to the screen is that people post large images that expand the width of the thread. (There's not a whole lot you can do about this. One thing might be to use the Magnifier program that usually comes with windows: Go to the Start Menu, type 'magnifier' into the search box and it should come up.)

If it's just about making the size of the page bigger or smaller you can usually just do, ctrl +, to make it bigger and, ctrl -, to make it smaller (this works for Firefox and Chrome at any rate).

This ends the latest mini-lesson in Computers 101, brought to you courtesy of the the Watch Computer Literacy Drive Team! :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The latest post is always the last post on the last page.

If you have an example of otherwisity, please share.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

There is something you can do about the large images expanding the content section sizing. You'd do it in the .css and could make the image have a horizontal scroll bar if it would exceed the max width setting as a quick solution. That way the image does not expend the section's width. I don't think it would be a very difficult change to make.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

IIRC, you can select for yourself whether a thread starts with the newest or oldest post, somewhere in your options or settings. The default is, as said, descending from oldest to newest.

Barring Ananda's suggestion, (probably harder than it needs to be on this outdated bit of forum software), I'm afraid that thread width is going to depend on your screen resolution and monitor size.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's not a big deal - but I'm sure I *have* encountered it within the pages of KW, and without altering any of my own settings. I'll do what WF suggests and see if I can provide an example of said inconsistency. Unitll then I'll shut up! ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Unsubstantiated claims...

;)

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I have nothing to add to this discussion...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

....and neither have I.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

wayfriend wrote:The latest post is always the last post on the last page.

Don't know if this qualifies but if one clicks on the 'General Discussion' button on the 'Kevins Watch Forum Index' page [ie the Home page] you are sent to page '1' of the [currently] 76 pages, where at the top [albeit under the stickies] you will find the latest additions to threads of that particular forum. A quick scan of page '76' will bring you to the very first posts [one assumes] ever entered in the GD forum way back in 2002. [OK, I know it's not the same, but......;)]

{p.s. it's one of those nice situations where everybody else has to be right all the time and I only have to be right once and damn it - if the exemplar is out there I'll find it! :lol: }

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Avatar wrote:Barring Ananda's suggestion, (probably harder than it needs to be on this outdated bit of forum software), I'm afraid that thread width is going to depend on your screen resolution and monitor size.

--A
I just looked at a page in firebug and this forum is built on tables and not layers... wow. It is a bunch of nested tables with widths set to 100% outside of the css. How old is this version??
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

This is phpBB2. phpBB3 was released in 2007, and support for phpBB2 ceased around that time.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hey, don't make fun of the elderly (message board architecture). ;)
peter wrote:
wayfriend wrote:The latest post is always the last post on the last page.

Don't know if this qualifies but if one clicks on the 'General Discussion' button on the 'Kevins Watch Forum Index' page [ie the Home page] you are sent to page '1' of the [currently] 76 pages, where at the top [albeit under the stickies] you will find the latest additions to threads of that particular forum. A quick scan of page '76' will bring you to the very first posts [one assumes] ever entered in the GD forum way back in 2002. [OK, I know it's not the same, but......;)]

{p.s. it's one of those nice situations where everybody else has to be right all the time and I only have to be right once and damn it - if the exemplar is out there I'll find it! :lol: }
Right -- if you click on the name of the thread, it takes you to the first page of that thread. You have to click on the most recent page number to get to the most recent posts. (Not that I've made that mistake while trying to post from my phone or anything.)

There's another instance where you get taken back to the first page of the thread after you've posted, but I think that's after you delete a post.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

peter wrote:Don't know if this qualifies but if one clicks on the 'General Discussion' button on the 'Kevins Watch Forum Index' page [ie the Home page] you are sent to page '1' of the [currently] 76 pages, where at the top [albeit under the stickies] you will find the latest additions to threads of that particular forum. A quick scan of page '76' will bring you to the very first posts [one assumes] ever entered in the GD forum way back in 2002. [OK, I know it's not the same, but......;)]
Ah. I see.

As I said, the newest post is always on the last page of the thread.

But the most recently updated thread will float up to the first page of the forum.

Completely apples and oranges, peter! :)

So, just remember, the newest post in a recently updated thread will be on the last page of the first page, and you shan't get lost. :?

Oh ...
A forum post is a souring soul,
that sinks to the bottom of a thread.
It's recent date should be ready to collate
O'er histicorical words. ...

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, very William Gilbert WF. :D I like it. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: :clap:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... yeah, I was in a weird place.
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Massachusetts?
Focus on where you are going and why.
Never lose awareness of how far down "down" is...but don't obsess about it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

:luke:
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Just a light teasing, WF. Be at ease. This is not the light saber battle you are looking for.
Focus on where you are going and why.
Never lose awareness of how far down "down" is...but don't obsess about it.

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”