Black House

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Black House

Post by Zarathustra »

I've started yet another Dark Tower tie-in. This one feels entirely different in style to the other 7 King books I've read. I suppose that's Straub's influence? How does that work, exactly? Do both authors work on the same parts, revising each other's work? Or do they take turns on different chapters? If the beginning is Straub, I don't like his style. Sentences read like background noise. It's not just that the beginning is slow, but it's awkward. I'm not used to that in a King novel. Even when King is slow, he's never entirely boring. He's never hard to read. I'm getting bogged down in the names of streets and a complete lack of voice. This reads like a newspaper article on a subject I don't care about.

But once again, I'm telling myself to have faith. It's just a little harder this time, because I've never read Straub so I have no idea what to expect from his input.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

If you've not read The Talisman yet, STOP!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

No, I haven't read Talisman. I didn't realize this one depended on that. Good to know. Thanks. I'm only 30 or pages in, so it's not too late (I hope). I know there's a "Fisherman," some cops, and a half-senile guy in a nursing home. That's it.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

OK, good. Black House is the sequel to The Talisman.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Good save Cail. :D Talisman was a better book. The DT tie-in was very minor. Black House always felt like they were trying too hard to make it part of Roland's world or something.

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:Good save Cail. :D Talisman was a better book. The DT tie-in was very minor. Black House always felt like they were trying too hard to make it part of Roland's world or something.

--A
Yea...I thought it could have gone a different world/direction and been better for it.
Re-read Black House fairly recently...found some parts meh, been there done that Mr.'s K and S., but chunks of it I liked quite a lot. Fun, if not brilliant.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”