New book/two new novellas by SRD!!!!!!!!!

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

New book/two new novellas by SRD!!!!!!!!!

Post by SkurjMaster »

Has anyone else seen the following on the SRD web site?
Some readers may wonder what I've been doing since I finished "The Last Chronicles." The answer, of course, is: many things. But along the way I've written two substantial novellas, "The Augur's Gambit" and "The King's Justice." And both have just been picked up by Putnams, to be published together in hardcover and paperback. I don't yet know the title Putnams will use. As for when the book will be published: rumor has it that the pub date will be in October 2015. But at this point that is *only* a rumor, not an announced fact.

Do I need to add that these two stories are entirely unlike each other? After all, I wrote them. But they are both fantasy.

1/7/15
Can't wait.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Has anyone checked to see if we have? :D

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yeah we heard about it SkurjMaster, but thanks for thinking of us nonetheless. ;)

Personally, I want a Killing Stroke series, but maybe he's working on it. :D

--A
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

new book

Post by SkurjMaster »

In my defense, I was too excited to be bothered with a search.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

New book awareness

Post by SkurjMaster »

So Smartypantsers, if I was not already familiar with the new titles and had not combed through the relevant prior posts, which clever search term would have led me to the extant post?
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Haha. :goodpost:S, plural, SkurjMaster.

Unfortunately, I will not be helping to answer your question.
I want to hear wf's suggestions..

Edit: added Skurj's name. For clarification.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

My "Smartypantser" suggestion would be to have attended Elohimfest last June. These new stories were one of the things SRD talked about...and we could have met you!

The whole presentation and Q&A was recorded by Cameraman Jenn (who else?), so it ought to be edited and available for streaming Real Soon Now.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Elomhimfest

Post by SkurjMaster »

Alas, such travel comes at a premium as to time and dollars. Also, if I ever met the man in person, my unsolicited hug may get me in trouble!
wayfriend

Re: New book awareness

Post by wayfriend »

SkurjMaster wrote:So Smartypantsers, if I was not already familiar with the new titles and had not combed through the relevant prior posts, which clever search term would have led me to the extant post?
Um ... "Donaldson"?

But seriously ... I thought you might have wanted to read what people already have said, that's all. The rest was just playing off your question. Sorry.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: Elomhimfest

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

SkurjMaster wrote:Alas, such travel comes at a premium as to time and dollars.
Tssk, tsk, if you really want these kinds of conversations about the books, you need to make some kind of an investment...
Just kidding!
SkurjMaster wrote:Also, if I ever met the man in person, my unsolicited hug may get me in trouble!
:lol:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

New book awareness

Post by SkurjMaster »

That's okay, Watchers. My exuberance got the better of me!!!! I was just excited to see something else coming from the man. As I have stated before, he has ruined me for other authors. NOBODY writes like SRD. Although, I recently discovered Brian Stavely, but I am not sure if he is more like SRD or Robert Jordan.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, that's a big difference between the two... :D

--A
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

SRD vs. Robert Jordan

Post by SkurjMaster »

I am sure that this kind of discussion belongs in another forum, but since there was a reply to my somewhat off the cuff comparison, I thought that I would reply as well.

How are they different precisely? World-building? Characters? I bet, though, that Staveley will prove to be more like Jordan (or Kurtz) than SRD.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I would say that, with Donaldson, fantasy is the means, and characters are the ends; with Jordan, it is the opposite.

Post by Avatar »

Oh, good one WF. :D Very good one.

Don't get me wrong, I like them both. I'm probably one of the few people here who actually enjoyed the WoT books. :D

Jordan's world was great, even if he did get a bit weird toward the end, he started to fix it before the last.

For me, Jordan felt more...sprawling. SRD is more compact, but deeper.

--A
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Comparison

Post by SkurjMaster »

I believe that was a very apt comparison. Good one.

Skurjy
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I think plenty of people like (or even obsess) over The Wheel of Time... it just also suffers from what entitled fantasy readers abhor: namely a long wait and it is too long. Makes you wonder how it will age and if it will survive (I do not think it will. It's just too long)

Speaking of which, if I can find my copies I might actually get around to re-reading/finishing the Beast.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

I can't argue about the middle few books. :D From 7 to 10 is a steady decline. (10 is undoubtedly the worst.) But KoD already started to reverse that trend, and Sanderson did a good job of finishing it off.

--A

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”