Latest Acquisitions

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Latest Acquisitions

Post by Avatar »

Picked up the Deus Ex collection and the redone Thief game from Steam on special.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Wargame: Red Dragon

Apparently quite difficult to get into, but it looks so damn good...

Problem is I have more games now than time to play them, but I keep buying them. :D

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Avatar wrote:Problem is I have more games now than time to play them, but I keep buying them. :D

--A
I've been opposite. Too much spare time and not finding the right game. I've now collected several that will most likely be donated to a thrift shop.

Except for, Grand Ages Rome - Reign of Augustus - gold edition.

I just love these city building games.
I've completed two missions so far. Establishing the colony of Tarraco on the Catalonian coastline, and a colony on the tiny Baleric island of Cabrera.
I'm attempting to link up my ports using lighthouses. I'm sure this will generate free trade routes and boost the economy of both estates. Although I'm not really sure if the game is designed with that in mind.
I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint like other games I've tried. Like realizing you've bought a shirt and trousers with false pockets.

What I like about this game is that the geography is relatively accurate. So to compensate for time spent playing a game I'll do some research on the Roman history which gets mentioned through the storyline.
It helps address the balance of gaming triviality.

Best of all, is I'm building a headphones amplifier based on two LM380N audio op-amps. 3D circuitry designed to clamp the dash instead of a horizontal pcb that takes up lots of bin space. moi moi !
GAR is super for generating circuit design ideas. And actually helps me visualize current distribution, power drain, circuit loading, audio coupling, etc etc etc.

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I've impulse-bought a few recently that in retrospect I really wished I hadn't bothered with. Namely Thief and (so far) the first Deus Ex. :lol:

I've actually gone back to M&B Warband again...it's so addictive even though I'm not actually achieving anything. :D

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I've been buying a crapton of games lately, as they seem to be going down in price dramatically for PS3s lately. Which usually signals the death of a console.
I've bought a couple Lego games (Lego Movie and Lego Marvel Superheroes), as well as several games for under $1 (Back To The Future-The Game, Monkey Island, two Sam and Max games, Katamari Damancy, and Rock of Ages), and have a heap of other games I am not devoting time to. I really like the chapter games that are like the old LucasArts point-and-click adventure games of old. So far I've only played the first part of the Back To The Future game, and it was fun.
Oh, and I've still not finished the Christmas games either, which are the original 3 Sly Cooper games, Lego Batman 3, and all of the aspects of Puppeteer (although we did finish the main story, but I definitely want to do some clean up like getting the heads that we missed, and such).
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Post by Avatar »

So, I cracked and got Attila: Total War for 25% off on Steam yesterday. :D Decided I couldn't wait for the sale. Downloading it now.

This should keep me going until then, and I'll get the DLC for it, GTAV and maybe State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition when they're on sale.

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Finally found a game that held my interest.
Never really played much FPS games, except maybe Dredd v Death. Or DarkStar One, if that counts.

Unreal II, I liked. There were only several missions, each one a progression in story, and more and more weapons. The alien landscapes were well detailed and varied.

After a mission on an arachnid world, a captured rifle was redesigned to fire bunches of nasty stinging spiders. Not a powerful gun, but still lethal after a few hits. And of course serious fun to use :twisted:

I played the game at, Easy: Walk in the park.
Level two and three being, Normal, and Unreal (:lol:)
As I didn't use the full range of weapons available, I'll be taking another 'walk in the park' at a later date. :)

Post by Avatar »

Only ever played Unreal on LAN, never tried any single player games with it. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Steam Summer Sale starts 11th June 2015.

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Captain Scarlet: In the Shadow of Fear.
A second game that I'm unable to play.

Not being too familiar with PC gaming - having defraged the hard drive and followed the instructions installing the game - I got a blank screen that responded to nothing. Meaning I had to switch off the computer at the wall socket to reboot.
Risk II, did the same thing.

I'm sure there are ways and means to get around this. I'm using Win7. The compatibility wizard might fix the problem. Or better, a good source of information like PC Gaming for Dummies - if such a book exists. Or even another computer exclusively for old games, with an older operating system. :?

Post by Avatar »

Maybe try something like DosBox. It's an x86 emulator. Lets you run old games. (That one might not be old enough actually.)

But there must be Win95 emulators you can download. (The compatibility wizard is usually pretty bad, but won't hurt to try.)

--A

Post by Avatar »

So I've been acquiring quite a bit recently. Mostly off GOG.com (DRM Free Games) where I picked up all the old Sierra Kings Quest games, all the Quest For Glory Games (including the parody Quest For Infamy) (I already owned them on disc but whatever...) and the redone Monkey Island games. (Oh, and Gothic 3.) (And they gave me some free games, STALKER Clear Skies and something else.)

And so far on the Steam sales, I've bought X:Rebirth.

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I got a pack of four games for $.96. Polarity, Beep, Camera Obscura, and Out There Somewhere.

I haven't tried beep yet.

Polarity is a first person shooter style puzzle game. Though you don't even get a gun. It mostly involves retrieving and obtaining cubes to activate various objects which help you to move around the level, and changing your own polarity so you can move through, or be blocked by, fields of red and blue (think Ikaruga). I'm about a third of the way through. It doesn't compare that well to a game like Portal or The Talos Principle, but it's still pretty fun.

Out There Somewhere is a platformer that mostly involves using a teleport gun to get around. It's short but sweet. I finished it. Probably my favorite of the ones I've played.

Camera Obscura, I haven't played much of. It's a platformer, and the main gimmick is that you can take a "picture" of the solid parts of the level. The after-image moves around as you move for about 3-5 seconds, allowing you to use the after-image as a platformer offering additional space to make your jumps. Seems cool.

I also got darkest dungeon. Darkest dungeon is pretty neat, but I get the feeling that it might get somewhat repetitive. It really sucks when you lose a pretty powerful hero because the game slams you with bad luck, but that's really just part of the fun.

I was really tempted by the sale for MGS: Ground Zeroes, but I haven't even gotten a chance to play MGS4, so I probably shouldn't start playing the 5th one.

Post by Avatar »

Picked Assassin's Creed II and AC Revelations...never played them before. Also Risen, since I'm enjoying Gothic 3 (with community patch).

That should keep me going to the next sale. :D

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

--A
I have it downloaded and installed. As yet I haven't read and understood all the instructions.
May have something to do with not being quite in the mood for the old games just at this time.

Certainly very interesting with what I've garnered so far.

- And thanks

Post by Avatar »

No worries. It usually works mostly fine in its default settings, not much fiddling required.

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Will get around to it, soon.

--------

Picked up Titan Quest for a £1.

A game I've played before, and although I found this hack'n'slash game grew repetitive, tedious, and finally unsatisfying, (thinking: what was the point?), I've noticed some new and interesting things this time around.

Gameplay
***/** Good Fun.

Menu Audio Music
***** Excellent

---------
Gangsters: Organized Crime

Getting the lowdown on Wikipedia this game sounds quite dark, but very funny.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Eternal Journey: New Atlantis
Collector's Edition
Yeah I know this game has a number 3-PEGI rating on the box, but I like these games. Very relaxing and easy-going puzzles to solve.

*Catwoman
(Man, she moves fast!)
Never played a DC game before.
As Patience Phillips happens to be my favorite Catwoman I'll likely put in the extra time if need be to get her animated smoothly.

(*£0.35) :P

Post by Avatar »

Not familiar with either of them. :)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Steam stealth sale started yesterday, picked up AC IV: Black Flag (probably the last AC game I will buy), and Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943 which is supposed to be almost too realistic, with ballistic modelling and all sorts of stuff. :D

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”