Hillary's Email Scandal

Archive From The 'Tank
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I guess now we know what Bill and Loretta really discussed in that meeting he forced. Either he had sufficient dirt on Director Comey or he had dirt on her that led her to tell her subordinate to back off.

I now expect Comey to resign over this--he was told to abandon the investigation and press no charges, or else. Besides, what good would charges have done, in any event? Obama would have just given her a pardon.

This officially kills the story. Continuing to hound it after today serves no purpose other than to make yourself look like someone who just can't go of something.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hashi, I disagree. Just because Comey didn't believe he could get a conviction doesn't mean that she didn't do anything wrong. It still shows her lack of judgment. It's still an election issue.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information.

There is evidence to support a conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton's position, or in the position of those government employees with whom she was corresponding about these matters, should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation. In addition to this highly sensitive information, we also found information that was properly classified as Secret by the U.S. Intelligence Community at the time it was discussed on e-mail (that is, excluding the later "up-classified" e-mails).

Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. Prosecutors necessarily weigh a number of factors before bringing charges. There are obvious considerations, like the strength of the evidence, especially regarding intent.

Basically, there's evidence that she broke the law. But the evidence proving intent was lacking, thus no recommendation for charges.

There are two conclusions: 1) Hillary did in fact intend to break the law, but this intent is hard to prove, 2) Hillary is the dumbest Secretary of State we've ever had, whose stupidity put our country's national security in jeopardy.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Zarathustra,
Zarathustra wrote:Hashi, I disagree. Just because Comey didn't believe he could get a conviction doesn't mean that she didn't do anything wrong. It still shows her lack of judgment. It's still an election issue.
In a normal Presidential election I think you'd be right. Too many people are extremely concerned about your preferred candidate for this issue to get much traction. I think Sec. Clinton is going to beat Trump handily. That Trump is the best the Republicans have to offer is just sad.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Clinton's are Teflon I tell you!! No matter what they do, somehow it just never sticks.

If you or I were a normal govt employee who did this, we would be fired, and spend some time in jail.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:Hashi, I disagree. Just because Comey didn't believe he could get a conviction doesn't mean that she didn't do anything wrong. It still shows her lack of judgment. It's still an election issue.
I agree with you--she violated several laws, including laws designed to preserve government documents and correspondence--but the situation is merely "maybe" about it being an election issue. Her supporters don't care about this and some of them are probably even proud of it--"she did what she thought was right"--while her detractors were going to campaign against her in any event.

Filing charges despite knowing how remote the chances were of obtaining a conviction probably convinced Comey that doing so would appear political.

That being said, my analysis stands--because the FBI isn't pressing charges the story is over and I still think Comey will step down soon. His problem after that is that he needs to watch his back--the Clintons neither forget nor forgive.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Told ya nothing would happen. On the upside, every conspiracy theorist in the country is doing backflips and screaming, "I told you so!"

And to be fair, they're right. This is concrete evidence that there's a different set of rules for the ruling class.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Trump will play on this skate. He will focus on the FBI decision that Hillary and staff were incompetent on matter of national security.
If he plays it right then he will brand her as a Washington elitist and above
the law, incompetent to run a country or keep it safe.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

SerScot wrote:That Trump is the best the Republicans have to offer is just sad.
I don't think he's the best they could offer, but as a populist he appealed to an emotional (and perhaps politically drained) electorate.

--A
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Ur Dead,
Ur Dead wrote:Trump will play on this skate. He will focus on the FBI decision that Hillary and staff were incompetent on matter of national security.
The king of poor decision making will attempt to call Sec. Clinton to the carpet for her poor Judgment. Lets see how well that goes.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

SerScot wrote:Ur Dead,
Ur Dead wrote:Trump will play on this skate. He will focus on the FBI decision that Hillary and staff were incompetent on matter of national security.
The king of poor decision making will attempt to call Sec. Clinton to the carpet for her poor Judgment. Lets see how well that goes.
King of poor decision making? Name one poor decision he's made. I'm not talking about things he's said that people don't like, but actions he has taken that have proven to be sheer folly. If any of them risked national security, then at best he has tied Hillary. Otherwise, she has him beat in the poor decision making department.

This is why the story will continue to matter:

AP FACT CHECK: Clinton claims collapse under FBI probe

At least 7 crucial claims she made to the American people about her email server were blown completely out of the water. This was more than just a mistake. There was also her cover-up of the mistake. She risked national security to avoid Congressional and FIOA oversight, then lied about it when she got caught. Trump is going to hammer her over this.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Zarathustra,

When has Trump's recklessness had an opportunity to threaten national security? He's a reality TV star. His screw ups don't have the spread of Sec. Clinton... yet.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

SerScot wrote:Zarathustra,

When has Trump's recklessness had an opportunity to threaten national security? He's a reality TV star. His screw ups don't have the spread of Sec. Clinton... yet.
But now you have filled the gap between Expectations and Experience with "assume the worst" rather than "expect the best".

Hilary has been in this position for a number of years. Our Experience tells us what she brings to the table... so for security issues... "assume the worse". But we dont have that experience with Trump, so going in, until experience tells you otherwise, you should "Expect the best".
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

I'm voting Gary Johnson. I will not give my vote to either of the major party dumpster fires.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote: This is why the story will continue to matter:

AP FACT CHECK: Clinton claims collapse under FBI probe

At least 7 crucial claims she made to the American people about her email server were blown completely out of the water. This was more than just a mistake. There was also her cover-up of the mistake. She risked national security to avoid Congressional and FIOA oversight, then lied about it when she got caught. Trump is going to hammer her over this.
Sadly, the reality of the situation is that no FBI charges means that the story is dead. My personal opinions about it may differ from that assessment but I have to live in the world as it exists instead of how I would like it to exist. Whatever pressure Bill put on Loretta which she, in turn, put on Comey, paid off. That was Bill's way of paying back Hillary for continuing to remain married to him all this time.
Cail wrote:Told ya nothing would happen. On the upside, every conspiracy theorist in the country is doing backflips and screaming, "I told you so!"

And to be fair, they're right. This is concrete evidence that there's a different set of rules for the ruling class.
We already knew that there were different rules but it is good to have proof every now and then, just to refresh the knowledge.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I am just speechless at this announcement. 110 instances of emails that were classified at the time they were sent, being sent unsecured... thousands of emails deleted after being subpoenaed... obstruction of justice at nearly every turn... and no charges filed? Wow!

There's a graphic floating around Facebook that shows General Patraeus (sp?) who was forced to resign over much less than this. It also shows Edward Snowden who is under indictment and in exile for less than this (well-different, but sorta the same I guess). And, lastly, it shows Hillary, who is the Democratic Nominee for President of the U.S.

I just don't know what to think anymore.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Akasri wrote:I just don't know what to think anymore.
Don't trust politicians. Any politicians.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Akasri wrote:I am just speechless at this announcement. 110 instances of emails that were classified at the time they were sent, being sent unsecured... thousands of emails deleted after being subpoenaed... obstruction of justice at nearly every turn... and no charges filed? Wow!

There's a graphic floating around Facebook that shows General Patraeus (sp?) who was forced to resign over much less than this. It also shows Edward Snowden who is under indictment and in exile for less than this (well-different, but sorta the same I guess). And, lastly, it shows Hillary, who is the Democratic Nominee for President of the U.S.

. Don't forget Nixon who was forced to resign the Presidency for deleting 30 seconds of tape.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

SoulBiter wrote:
Akasri wrote:I am just speechless at this announcement. 110 instances of emails that were classified at the time they were sent, being sent unsecured... thousands of emails deleted after being subpoenaed... obstruction of justice at nearly every turn... and no charges filed? Wow!

. Don't forget Nixon who was forced to resign the Presidency for deleting 30 seconds of tape.
18 minutes, but same-same.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

What's worse? No indictments, or people are ecstatic that there are no indictments, and think this proves Hillary is worthy Presidential material?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?

Return to “Coercri”