Fallout 4

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Fallout 4

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Finally, after years of waiting, Bethesda has released the official Fallout 4 trailer pending their upcoming announcement at E3 later this month.

I think it is going to be set in or near the Commonwealth, an area north of the Capital Wasteland said to have some of the most advanced technology available. I don't know when the game is set for release but the pre-order link doesn't work yet.

I needed to upgrade the computer, anyway, so Mrs. Lebwohl can finally get her Witcher 3. This will give me more incentive to get the computer upgraded--I suspect what I have right now might not run Fallout 4 very efficiently.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah, you beat me to it. :D I was coming to post a link to the trailer for you. :D

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I am curious to see what, if any, relation Poseidon Energy has to the Commonwealth. I don't recall any instances from Fallout 1 but even in Fallout 2 many Enclave areas were in/around Poseidon Energy locations and in New Vegas Poseidon was responsible for building HELIOS 1 and the Archimedes weapon.

Also, I wonder if Point Lookout will be an accessible area or if it will even be mentioned. That area was described as being north of the Capital Wasteland so it should have been relatively near the Commonwealth.

I suppose I will actually have to watch Bethesda's part of E3 now, even though I never pay much attention to E3.

Post by Avatar »

Damn, it's already available for pre-purchase on Steam...no release date, but you can buy it. :lol:

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I would be surprised if the release date were any time before, oh, December of next year. I could be mistaken, though--the fact that IneXile waited over two years from the launch of Wasteland 2 until its official release could be coloring my expectation. Maybe they will announce a tentative date at E3.

Post by Avatar »

Or not. :D

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Well, what do you know? They did give a release date at E3: 10 Nov 2015, less than 5 months from now. That means the game is essentially complete right now.

I just watched that portion of their showcase featuring Fallout 4. Absolutely amazing! The protagonist actually starts out at home the day the bombs fell--23 October 2077 (which will be a Saturday)--and emerges from Vault 111 over 200 years later. (Fallout 3 takes places 200 years after the War, short by only a few months, given that the Lone Wanderer leaves Vault 101 in search of Dad on 17 August.) This could be possible if stored in biomed gel for that time or the protagonist is actually a clone--mere speculation at this point.

You can scrap found items and reuse them to build your own shelter/house. In fact, you can scrap enough to build your own small community, complete with planting food, drilling hand-driven water pumps, setting up electric generators, and establishing security because raiders will come for your settlement if you make one.

A wildly expanded crafting system. It has categories like "adhesive" where you can use either duct tape or wonderglue to satisfy the requirement, "screws" which can be obtained from toy cars, globes, etc. so there isn't one set formula for creating something. This applies to weapons--now you can put a scope on your 10mm pistol or your laser pistol or your plasma rifle, you can craft wooden or aluminum bats (with upgrades like chains or nails), and so on. Armor is now piecemeal, as well--you may have reinforced leather on your chest but you have a T51-b left arm piece and a Tesla right leg piece.

One clip featured this Vault Dweller (no indication as to what the protagonist is going to be called) in a Vertibird but I don't know if that was from a cutscene or--fingers crossed--you can eventually obtain your own Vertibird and fly it around the Wasteland. That beats the old Chryslus Highwayman hands down!

Mole rats now tunnel up out of the ground to attack you.

Post by Avatar »

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Fallout 4 has base building: www.lazygamer.net/bethesda/fallout-4s-b ... minecraft/

That's awesome. I always install a nice player house mod, but being able to build one with that level of detail for myself will be great.

And just as well, because mod support isn't going to be available for quite a while after launch:

www.lazygamer.net/bethesda/no-fallout-4 ... at-launch/

--A

Post by Avatar »

Fallout 4 launches today.

Min specs are being touted as low, but I'd still technically have to upgrade my chip and my graphics card.
Fallout 4 PC: Minimum Requirements

Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

Fallout 4 PC: Recommended Requirements

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
I can probably wait a year or so for this one. :D Still haven't bought GTA V yet. (Christmas sale coming up though...)

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I thought the release date was 10 November? That's what the official site states...but maybe there are early release options? *shrug*

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, no, you're right. :D I just saw the 10th and misread the month. :D

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote: Min specs are being touted as low, but I'd still technically have to upgrade my chip and my graphics card.
Fallout 4 PC: Recommended Requirements...
Why do they bother with the recommended requirements? Haven't we learned by now that the "recommended" stats are just whatever came out last month? :D
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I suppose I could get by upgrading the video card and adding some more memory, which is definitely less costly than replacing the entire system.

Phooey--VATS no longer pauses the game, only slows it down to a crawl while you target an enemy. Still, the virtually limitless possibilities of weapon and house customization, not to mention the Pip-Boy retro games you can find, should make for an amazing game experience.

Post by Avatar »

Never been a fan of VATS. Prefer a scope, or iron sights if I have to.
Rigel wrote:...the "recommended" stats are just whatever came out last month?
Well, to be fair, their are 4Gb Nvidia cards out, this only recommends a 3Gb one. ;)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Rabs
Servant of the Land

Post by Rabs »

Love the Fallout series and 4 delivers. Worth the long wait in my opinion.
“Do not hurt where holding is enough;
Do not wound where hurting is enough;
Do not maim where wounding is enough;
and kill not where maiming is enough;
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill”

Post by Avatar »

Looking forward to it, but I think I have to upgrade my machine. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, my machine is upgraded.

Now, the only question is, can I hold out until the next sale? :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Clearly not, since last weekend Steam had it for 50% off, and I cracked. Next big sale probably won't go lower than that on such a new game, so...

I didn't get any of the DLC bar the workshop one, have seen bad reviews for them, and will wait until they're available for much less.

Of course it wouldn't load at first...had an infinite loop on start-up, but a bit of Googling got me sorted and I'm about 10 hours in.

Looking good so far...probably need a few mods.

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”