Happy Christmas to All!!

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Happy Christmas to All!!

Post by deer of the dawn »

Probably a lot of us who celebrate Christ's arrival on earth will not be on tomorrow (myself included) so before I log off, I just want to wish everyone a very merry Christmas. :hug:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

And those of us who celebrate Santa's arrival! Merry Christmas!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Happy Christmas to everyone on the Watch. The best bunch in town........... :)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Re: Happy Christmas to All!!

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
deer of the dawn wrote:Probably a lot of us who celebrate Christ's arrival on earth will not be on tomorrow (myself included) so before I log off, I just want to wish everyone a very merry Christmas. :hug:
+1 Image

To us a child is born. And they will call his name Emmanuel, Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. And the government will be on his shoulder.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Merry Christmas Watchers.

Be safe. ;)

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

"...Christ Jesus, [who,]
though he was in the form of God,
did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
but emptied himself,
by taking the form of a servant,
being born in the likeness of men..."

Yes, Merry Christmas!

...though I think I'm a day late.
So I guess I also have to say:
(don't know if I used this one last year. where's sorus, now?)

[edit: to make the cat meme smaller. Gah - cat meme getting so much more real estate than scripture verse!?!]
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Interesting quote Linna. If I get it right the implication is that Christ deliberately made himself smaller, lesser for his earthly manifestation. Does this square with seeing him as part of a trinity of equal but different parts: like the leaves of a clover or faces of a gemstone?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Happy Christmas Everyone!

Looking forward to another year with all you great peeps (except for Vraith, who has abandoned us to learn the violin or Swahili or something equally useless! :P )

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Merry Belated Christmas to all, and to all a good Sunday.
Linna Heartlistener wrote: So I guess I also have to say:
I want to live in a country that has a day just for putting cats in boxes.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hope V. Returns to us; a voice of reason with a cool sense of humor and a damn smart guy to boot!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Merry Christmas - sorry to be so late in wishing that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger

peter wrote:Interesting quote Linna. If I get it right the implication is that Christ deliberately made himself smaller, lesser for his earthly manifestation.
Kind of. He constrained himself.
For one, from showing His fall-down-in-worship majesty..
So in the Gospels, when people catch a glimpse of His glory, either with him stilling the wind and waves of the sea of Galilee, (the forces of nature) or ...in the transfiguration, they are flabbergasted.
"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich."
And he became a man... ("fully God, fully man" is one description often used) becoming subject to thirst, hunger, pain, temptation, and separation from His Father.
Him choosing to go away from the glory and joy that he enjoyed before coming to this earth as a helpless baby - a thing He did for the sake of fallen humanity, His enemies - is something to fill a person with wonder.
peter wrote:Does this square with seeing him as part of a trinity...
And yes, it does... and that is such a necessary doctrine.
Because without it, you'd either not be able to acknowledge Jesus as fully divine, or you'd contradict there being one God.

Sorry for this anachronistically-slow response, peter... it's like leaving up the Christmas tree till February!
(which, I'm, umm.. also guilty of. and not because I have an extraordinary fondness for Christmas trees.)
-"Linna Slowposter"

Edit: Moved around scripture quote. Also, formatting.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wonderful link Linna - whets my appetite for getting to the New Testament, which I am not so far off from now! Thanks for remembering that question for so long. For me, I can wholly get where you are coming from re the import of the trinity concept, but need to think about his 'constraining' himself (great way of putting it btw).

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger

Yay, glad to hear. :biggrin:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Totally confused by the appearance of a Christmas thread in Feb. :D

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
peter wrote:For me, I can wholly get where you are coming from re the import of the trinity concept ...
What's more, without the Trinity, we'd still be lost in the insolubility of the dichotomy between the Absolute & Infinite and the Relative & Finite, viz., we'd be on the horns of dilemma such that we'd either have resign our personalities to perpetual entrapment within the confines of Finitude (e.g. in descending to Hades/Sheol or in Reincarnation, etc) or else, we'd have to lose our personality in dissolution when attaining to the Absolute Oneness (i.e. when the Divine Spark returns to the Source).

Only the Trinity allows the Created to attain both Union and Distinction vis-a-vis God, since God is relational within Himself from all eternity.

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
or else, we'd have to lose our personality in dissolution when attaining to the Absolute Oneness (i.e. when the Divine Spark returns to the Source).
I may not be getting it Wos because ( :oops: ) , well - this don't sound to bad to me.

( By the way I'm reading the download you posted for me, just taking it in small bites at a time. :lol: )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
peter wrote:
Wosbald wrote: or else, we'd have to lose our personality in dissolution when attaining to the Absolute Oneness (i.e. when the Divine Spark returns to the Source).
I may not be getting it Wos because ( :oops: ) , well - this don't sound to bad to me.
Well, I can't really address your preferences, of course. ;)

But I can say that Trinity signifies that personality/relationality is Absolute. God is relational within himself.

Before Trinity, the concept of a personal god was problematic. Either one had personal/relational gods bound up within the overarching Fate of the world, in which case, they are not Absolute. Or else one had an Absolute which is wholly Other and, thus, is impersonal.

Trinity means the God can be affirmed both as Absolute (and thus, not dependent on the World) and as Personal (and thus can freely enter into relation with it).

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(I came to this thread because I thought there would be presents. [And isn't that what Christmas is really all about?])
Linna Heartbooger

wayfriend wrote:(I came to this thread because I thought there would be presents. [And isn't that what Christmas is really all about?])
Well, there are!

Here's one.
See?
And some more.

What?
-Flannery O'Connor

Return to “General Discussion Forum”