Should aged objects of veneration be subjected to the ......

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Should aged objects of veneration be subjected to the ......

Post by peter »

scrutiny of scientific investigation?

I have seen a number of TV shows in which objects like The shroud of Turin and the Spear of Longinus have been subjected to scientific analysis in order to verify or contest their claims to authenticity. I have always been suprised that the keepers of such artifacts would allow the proceedures to be undertaken - particularly in that they often involve inflicting [albeit minor] damage on the objects in order to carry out the tests.
I recently saw, in a Church in Brugge, a vial said to contain a scrap of material stained with the Blood of Christ, collected it was claimed by Joseph of Arimathea [I believe from the spear that had pierced Christ's side]. The vial had found it's way via Rome, Constantinople and Venice [who stole it from the former during the atrocities committed during the Fourth Crusade], to it's final resting place in the specially constructed Bloed Basilica, where records show it has remained since the early 1200's.

I was talking to a friend last night, an archaeology student, who immediately said that the icon should be subjected to DNA investigation etc to establish it's authenticity. Well yes - ok. But then I thought of the lines of people queing up to see the vial, people clearly deeply moved by the experience [which alas to my shame, was for me was rather prurient than spiritual] - and I thought "but does it really matter". Surely it is the faith expressed by worshipers, and the clear bennefits they derive from what for many of them is the mystical experience of oneness with Christ derived from the encounter, that is the important thing. What bennefit knowledge, or science in doing these tests just because you can. Leave them be I say. - they are what they are.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Agreed, peter.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm of two minds really. On the one hand, scientific accuracy is important. On the other, no, I suppose it doesn't really matter. But you know...us atheists are trying to save these people from themselves... ;)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Avatar wrote:I'm of two minds really. On the one hand, scientific accuracy is important. On the other, no, I suppose it doesn't really matter. But you know...us atheists are trying to save these people from themselves... ;)

--A
Atheist Av? I see you as more neo-pagan steampunk ( ;) ).
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: Afraid not. :D Not into Steampunk at all in fact. And as for neo-paganism, can't take it seriously, although it amuses me.

The major drawback to atheism is not having somebody to curse at or plead with, so I compensate with some tongue-in-cheek discordianism. But I know at heart that it is a random, chaotic and uncaring universe. ;)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: Only kidding. Discordianism? Will have to check that one out, but while random and chaotic I'll accept, uncaring I question. After all we ourselves have the capacity to care (though sometimes poorly executed) and are we not of the Universe? (nb. I do however know where you are coming from.)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Of perhaps, but certainly not the whole. The whole would carry on regardless should we, for example, wipe ourselves out. We're a mere microscopic dot in it, less significant and able to alter things than even the weakest of suns.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Somewhere, sometime in the 'primal soup' that was the sea of 4[?] billion years ago on earth, microscopic dots of amino acid chains and DNA helices found they could clip and unclip from eachother and use the process as a template for replication. The rest is history; if not by us, then somewhere else this same process will occur and in the end it will not just alter the Universe, it will controll it, make it, break it and build it anew in it's own image [or any other it fancies]. Life I think, is in the Universe to stay.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Well, we don't know that yet, do we? :D Once is not enough to establish a trend. ;)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Don't know about that Av, somebody must have been the first person to put on a kipper tie. :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”