Wheel of Time Rights Released - Possible TV Series

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Wheel of Time Rights Released - Possible TV Series

Post by Avatar »

I don't know how I feel about this at all:

www.blastr.com/2016-5-2/robert-jordans- ... -tv-series
Jordan's widow, Harriet McDougal, made the announcement on Thursday night regarding the resolved matter and freeing the way for a major network or production house to pick up the adaptation rights for a prestige miniseries or ongoing episodic show.
--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Did you see the pilot? It was dreadful. I could find it for you if you haven't. However, I was told it was made mostly for legal reasons (extending licenses or whatever), so it's not necessarily indicative of a serious attempt.

I didn't like wheel of time very much when I approached it when I was a bit older (high school) than when I first read it, and the last book bored me to tears. I still might follow a series just to see what it would be like. Good luck to any efforts.

Post by Avatar »

Nah, I haven't seen it. :D

The last book, or the last book you read? I didn't find the Sanderson books that bad. 7, 9 & 10 were dreadful though. :D

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Actually I was ok with the first two Sanderson books, but I didn't really like memory of light. I know it's like, the big climactic battle culmination of destruction, but after a bit I just wanted it to end, and eventually it did.

If you wanna skim or watch the pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOCCEuROPk

I just remembered you have net problems sometimes, it's a vid, so I know you might not be able to take a look?

Post by Avatar »

Haha, no worries, that's mostly in the past.

Thanks for the link. It's pretty bad, but it could have been worse. It's practically the intro from the book, if toned down a little. And I didn't hate the intro of the clip. (Although I pronounce "Aes Sedai" a little differently. :D )

Hopefully you're right and it was a "legal" effort and the real one will be better.

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

My family prounounced it Ace-Suh-day* for a long time.

I'm guessing it's Eyes-Suh-dai, people who watched the video?
(pretty sure that's the correct pronunciation as per fictional canon.)

* Spent several years on an RP-and-PK Wheel-of-Time mud online. (well, okay.. my actual playtime was a total of weeks or months, not years.) What?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, sounded like it. I say Aace Se-Dai. With a long "A" for ace, and "Se" like "said."

I might have to re-read these. :D

--A
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Could be interesting... I forgot what book I stopped at. I think it was Winter's Heart? No wait, the last one I read was Crossroads of Twilight. The really horrible one.

Kept meaning to read the rest, since I heard the last bunch weren't quite so horrible.
Avatar wrote:Hopefully you're right and it was a "legal" effort and the real one will be better.
Yes, this is correct. I remember reading news about this a while ago. It was a legal scam to keep the movie rights.

-jay
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

By the way, for WoT news, the best source is always Dragonmount:

www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/even ... -show-r917

-jay

Post by Avatar »

I never remember to check other forums. :D

CoT was the worst. But the next one already started to redeem Jordan, lots of plot points closed off very quickly in it. You should read it. :D

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I read the first 5 books years ago, then put them aside waiting for the series to be finished. Earlier this spring, I picked up all the books on my Kindle and have been grinding through them. Wow, they are a GRIND! I am at the last book before Sanderson took over and it's really hard to keep going. But I'm forcing myself. I have never left a series un-read once I started and I'm sure not going to do it with this one :)

As for the pilot, I'm pretty sure that was some sort of "use the license or lose it" situation. It was slapped together quickly and broadcast in the wee hours of the night. It was abysmal IMO. I think there is potential here for a good series, but there would have to be a lot of cutting and pruning to make it watchable.

I'd much rather see a Thomas Covenant series of course :P

Post by Avatar »

7, 8, 9 and 10 definitely are. 11 started to redeem itself. :)

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I just hit 50% on book 10 this morning... I'm close to being through it and into the better stuff :)

Post by Avatar »

10 is the worst of them all. But 11 is a Jordan book as well. Sanderson only took over at book 12.

(In 11, Jordan realised how badly he messed up, and plot lines start shutting down so fast you can almost hear the clang. :D )

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Knife of Dreams moved things a little too fast, IIRC. But it was also the book when he finally managed to make Egwene into a good character, though.

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, it was almost too fast. He was making up for book 10, where nothing basically happened for about 1,000 pages. :D

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Book 10 is about to get the best of me. I'm close to 80% through it and so far nothing has happened! I heard people complaining about this book over the years, and I thought "surely it can't be that bad". It is :(

OMG, did Jordan's contract pay him so much per word or something? If Book 1 had been like this, I never would have read this series :(

Post by Avatar »

I think he just started losing his way a couple of books before...actually, the last few chapters of 10 are the only ones where something actually happens.

I promise Book 11 gets better. :D Almost too late for him, but it does show he realised what he had been doing before the end.

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Well, I'm at the last few chapters of 10, so fingers crossed :)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

IIRC, one of the most awful parts of book 10 is that a large portion of the book contains chapters half-dedicated to various people noticing the incredible amount of power channeled during the end of book 9. I suppose it's reasonable for people to notice, but I found it grating after a while - felt like Jordan needed to narrate, live, characters reactions to that event on a global scale in order to get us to purchase that it was a really important event. I think anyone who has read the series got the point in book 9 that it was of vital importance, and didn't need book 10 to repeatedly reiterate that.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”