Wheel of Time Rights Released - Possible TV Series

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

That's my biggest problem with book 10. Close to 2/3 of the book is people "noticing" and worrying over the huge amount of channeling going on. Jeez, we get it already :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The pace picks up noticeably in the next book. :D

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

OK, finally made it through books 10 and 11 and I'm deep into book 12, the first book Sanderson wrote.

I seem to recall reading a blog by Sanderson years ago about how he tackled the process of writing these last 3 books and in that blog he mentioned that Jordan had already written part of book 12. Maybe just the prologue, not sure.

I can't find that blog now, as his site archives don't go back that far. Does anyone know how much (if any) of book 12 Jordan wrote? I'm approaching the halfway mark and if Sanderson has written the whole thing, the he did a great job matching Jordan's writing style. The books are better than earlier Jordan books in the series, but they have the feel as if Jordan wrote them.

Post by Avatar »

Well, first off, Book 12 was supposed to be the last book. Apparently Jordan had blocked out quite large parts of the plot, but it was subsequently broken down into 3 books due to size reasons.

Sanderson did all the filling out and connecting. Also think he did a good job.

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Yeah, after posting that, I finally found the old blog posts that I had been remembering. Sounds like he had a lot of chunks written, including the ending but Sanderson had to do quite a bit of reorganizing and filling in the holes.

I've written a couple of unpublished novels, and participated in a few NaNoWriMos. I have a feel for what it takes to write a novel, even though I'm no good at it. I can't imagine the pressure Sanderson must have felt taking over for someone in book 12 of such an epic series

Post by Avatar »

On the one hand, yeah. On the other, Jordan had been so lost between books 7-10 that it was maybe less of a risk than it otherwise could have been. Granted, he appeared to pull himself together in book 11, but the rest could have gone either way.

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Finally finished this off this morning.

The last 3 books were really quite good, but I'm a little put off by the ending. After 14 books, the finale seemed really rushed.
Spoiler
And Rand switching places with Moridin... that seemed to come out of left field. Was there some foreshadowing of that and I just missed it?
Overall, it's a great epic tale. Just wish the middle 3-4 books weren't so hard to get through :)

Back to the topic of this thread... I'm not sure this could be turned into a television series. I think the scope is just too large to capture it in a way that would draw non-readers in, while not pissing off readers with having to leave so much out. I could be wrong, but I'm just not sure it could be done.

Post by Avatar »

Spoiler
Well, not foreshadowing as such, but certainly the close resemblance between them was remarked on ever since he appeared.
Yeah, know what you mean about the scope. Even GoT hasn't got that much scope. :D And they will change it, no matter how hard they try. :D

--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Spoiler
Well, not foreshadowing as such, but certainly the close resemblance between them was remarked on ever since he appeared.
I missed that. But there were so many characters, I lost track of who looked like what.

But I guess I'm most confused with how the swap was accomplished?

Post by Avatar »

Can't remember if they actually explain...been a while. But we know
Spoiler
that body swapping is possible, several other characters, mostly the Forsaken, were "re-housed" in new bodies over the course of the series.
--A
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Good point. Hadn't looked at it that way before.
slickthomas
Servant of the Land

Post by slickthomas »

After years of not reading much (the 3rd Chronicles is the only thing I had read in years), I shutdown reading news online for the most part and decided to read books inside again.

I picked up WoT because it is so famous. I'm in Book 3 and it is already a grind. He is good at world building as it seems an actual place with millions of people in it (unlike most series) but that is all.

Way too much needless and useless detail so much so that I find myself skimming. The first 3 books seem to have the same plot. Core members get separated and all head towards the same destination where something finally happens. I've got a bunch of other issues with the writing too.

I keep debating about whether to continue or give up. Think I'm only 20% of the way done by page count. The horror stories of books 7-10 being worse is weighing heavily on me too.

Post by Avatar »

Admittedly book 2 was a bit of a meh as well. If you're not into it by the end of Book 3, you might consider quitting while you're ahead. (How can you not love the Aiel? :D )

And welcome back btw. :D Good timing, this year is our 15th year anniversary / reunion. Tell everybody you see. ;)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Latest on the WoT Series, planned for Amazon:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/1792 ... eil-gaiman

--A

Post by Avatar »

Hey, they've actually cast people and stuff. :D

Couple of them I can "see" but not all.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7462410/fullcredits

--A
RandomHaruchai
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by RandomHaruchai »

@Avatar
So what did you think of Amazon's version?
Good dreams don't come cheap
You've got to pay for them
Harry Chapin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsZWhODqaH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxr7IPFWR_8

Post by Avatar »

RandomHaruchai wrote: @Avatar
So what did you think of Amazon's version?
Seriously mixed feelings, but ultimately have stopped watching it.

For such a big-budget series, it feels small and cheap. The locations are cramped instead of grand, the make-up...well...just take a look at Loial...

The get so many of the tiny details so right that it just makes the plot and character stuff look worse in comparison...

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”