Cugels Saga

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Cugels Saga

Post by peter »

The second in Jack Vance's Dying Earth series to feature the eponymous anti-hero Cugel, this has to be one of my all-time favourite works of fiction. The dialogue is rich and silky smooth and the characters so well written that the novel is just a joy to read from the first page. In a nutshell the story follows Cugels attempts to return home, having (for the second time) being magically transported to the other side of his world with neither money or belongings by a mischievous magician who he has offended. Cugels is required to use all of his considerable guile and cunning in order to secure himself means and transport on the various stages of his journey and we follow his roller-coaster fortunes they wax and wane with never less than pure reading joy.

Anybody else read this novel? If you have then read it again to remind yourself of what a master Vance was, if you haven't then buy it today and give yourself a treat! :D
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Never heard of it. Doesn't look like I've ever read any of his other books either.

Will have to keep an eye out.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Jack Vance is a true forgotten master Av. Another book title of his that I recall less about, but I remember as being of the first grade was ' Trillion: Alastor 2262'. His output was large and rarely less than top notch.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Shall have to look out for him in the 2nd hand book stores.

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Jack Vance is pretty excellent. He tends to vary a bit between very farcical, and action/pulpy with a degree of humor/farce infused into his works, based on what I've read. He also has an incredible imagination.

I definitely rate the Dying Earth highly. There were 4 major works I know of in the dying earth series - the first is a bit more serious tone than the other 3 (especially the two Cudgel books).

While there are many noteworthy roguish characters in sci fi, fantasy, and other genres, Cudgel is unique in that many of his encounters are with other, roughly equally roguish competitors and (very occasionally) compatriots. It's not really that unusual for him to be dumber than his opponents, but still wrangle out survival and escape from disaster while disaster rains down as he escapes.

I also think the demon princes and alastor are great. I didn't finish the Tschai series, I wasn't quite as interested in that. The Cadwal Chronicles are good. I haven't read most of his stand alones, but Showboat World is fun. I'd like to read most or all of his stuff eventually.

I would suggest reading him primarily for entertainment, but at times I feel there's substantial depth in some of his works.

I believe Wolfe stated his Book of the New Sun was inspired in part by the Dying Earth. Dungeons and Dragons got some inspiration from it, I think. And there are a few other notable examples (zork and nethack, I believe, take a few items and creatures from the series - ever heard of a grue?).

Post by Avatar »

Sounding even better. :D

--A
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Oh, I'm just gonna chime in one more mention. There's an anthology called "Tales of the Dying Earth" with short stories by a variety of science fiction and fantasy authors - some of them very big names. George RR Martin and Neal Gaiman are included (Martin also edited).

I don't think it's really as good as Vance, but if you really want to see a bit more of the world, it's good fun. It also has an odd characteristic: while Vance's stories involve characters who really don't give a shit about the earth ending, and the "dying earth" is really more of an atmosphere than a major plot event. But just about every one of the short stories focuses on potential or actual apocalyptic events taking place in the world. In a way, I guess it misses the point?

There's also a compilation of all his (known) published works called the Vance Integral Edition, but I believe that can be hard to find and very expensive.
Condign
Ramen

Post by Condign »

'Cugel's Saga', and it's sequel 'The Eyes of the Overworld' are simply excellent, and enormously entertaining.

I highly recommend them. The good thing is, if you enjoy 'Cugel's Saga' you're in for a treat with 'The Eyes of the Overworld' which is actually even better!

If you're after more Vance you must read his crowning achievement: LYONESSE.

The Lyonesse trilogie is set on the isle of Hybras (Hy Brasil?) that is between Ireland and Europe, long sunk beneath the waves. The ancestors of Arthur of Camelot live here, as well as fairies, ogres and other creatures of European legend. Once again, we have that Vancian flair for language, but here it's matched with complex political and magical plots, high adventure, tragedy, sacrifice and triumph with some unexpected twists and turns along the way.

Also, unusually for Vance, the trilogy has some very strong female viewpoint characters. In particular, the changeling princess, Madouc, become the focal point of view character in the third book, and she's one of the most memorable characters in all fantasy.
A copious vocabulary is no substitute for intelligence.

Post by Avatar »

Memorable fantasy characters are always good. Shall have to keep these in mind.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Just spotted this prompt toward Lyonesse. I love Vance and suddenly want to read this very much.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”