deleted

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

aTOMiC
Lord

deleted

Post by aTOMiC »

----------------
Last edited by aTOMiC on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

If you have even been through a divorce, I think you know why this probably never occurs. It's a long, draining process with a lot of pain all over the place, and to celebrate it would take certain level of people, or at least a mutual feeling on both sides. You honestly just want it the hell over with and for the hurt to end.
Come to think of it, my first wife and I did have a little personal ceremony upon our divorce, though. We buried the bride and groom from our wedding cake in a field, and it was treated like a funeral. And it was just us. I can't imagine having anybody else there to assist in making it feel worse. It was actually a nice moment, and the last nice moment we had together.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cagliostro wrote:If you have even been through a divorce, I think you know why this probably never occurs. It's a long, draining process with a lot of pain all over the place, and to celebrate it would take certain level of people, or at least a mutual feeling on both sides. You honestly just want it the hell over with and for the hurt to end.
Come to think of it, my first wife and I did have a little personal ceremony upon our divorce, though. We buried the bride and groom from our wedding cake in a field, and it was treated like a funeral. And it was just us. I can't imagine having anybody else there to assist in making it feel worse. It was actually a nice moment, and the last nice moment we had together.
I have been through a divorce. It was indeed quick though there were lasting emotional effects for a long time after. On the other hand it was more than 2 decades ago so I've had plenty of time to feel like I can laugh about it now. I realize it would be extremely unlikely that any two people going through a divorce would actually agree to participate in the scenario I described. :biggrin:

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

aTOMiC wrote: I have been through a divorce. It was indeed quick though there were lasting emotional effects for a long time after. On the other hand it was more than 2 decades ago so I've had plenty of time to feel like I can laugh about it now. :biggrin:
Wow, mine was about 2 decades ago as well. Wait.....Cindy?

Mine sucked pretty hard and is still one of the few things I can't quite laugh over yet. As far as divorces go, it was an especially easy one from what I have witnessed. Both of us had our own cars, most nothing we co-owned, and had no kids. We did have a ferret, and it made me extra sad saying goodbye to the fuzzy snake.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cagliostro wrote: Wow, mine was about 2 decades ago as well. Wait.....Cindy?
HAH!

I don't know. Its probably that I've spent all of the intervening time happily married with a kid and so on that that previous relationship feels like it happened to someone else, I can't identify with it emotionally any longer. I have more emotional pain from watching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers play football like crap. Or maybe that hurts more because its FRESH!

But I digress... :D

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

See, that's what happens when you get married. The GF and I are coming up on 18 years. No marriage, no kids. That's how you keep a relationship happy. ;)

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Really, TOM? It's bad enough seeing the guy for the ten minutes it takes for the judge to declare the marriage dissolved. You want to add a party, too? 8O

My divorce wasn't terribly messy until the ex tried to kill himself. (True story.) So yeah -- no party.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Way to go Tom. This thread should be retitled (or subtitled) "How bad was your divorce?" Way to pick at old scabs.

:) :twisted:
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cagliostro wrote:Way to go Tom. This thread should be retitled (or subtitled) "How bad was your divorce?" Way to pick at old scabs.

:) :twisted:

Yeah I'm beginning to see that. :lol:

What I thought was an amusing notion that reminded me of a bad, over the top, Rom Com premise doesn't seem so funny on second thought. Maybe Hollywood likes to pick at scabs but I generally don't.

Post by Avatar »

I could definitely see this as one of those movies. Of course, since I don't have a divorce under my belt, my perspective is probably a bit skewed. :D

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Nor have I gone through a divorce...but I clearly understood both the humor and the pathos of Tom's original post. Let's just say I've been agile in avoiding those adverse outcomes; sometimes by tightrope-walking, often by contortionism, and occasionally by sheer grace.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Savor Dam wrote:Nor have I gone through a divorce...but I clearly understood both the humor and the pathos of Tom's original post. Let's just say I've been agile in avoiding those adverse outcomes; sometimes by tightrope-walking, often by contortionism, and occasionally by sheer grace.
:biggrin:

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Satire is somewhat about showing just how ridiculous we humans are, I think.
And it's often about the question, "what if we wore on the outside all those sentiments we keep buried deep in our hearts?"
So, CATHARSIS.
I think this is kind of genius, Tom.
cags wrote:We buried the bride and groom from our wedding cake in a field, and it was treated like a funeral. And it was just us. I can't imagine having anybody else there to assist in making it feel worse. It was actually a nice moment, and the last nice moment we had together.
poignant if awkward story, cags. thanks for putting it out there. there's something in there that's condign.
ali wrote:My divorce wasn't terribly messy until the ex tried to kill himself. (True story.)
:( :hug:
Last edited by Linna Heartbooger on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

I found it amusing, though I can see why others wouldn't. Yesterday was the mediation for the divorce my wife filed in May. There were probably times over the last several months when it may not have been so funny. Stress will do that to you.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Sorry, I didn't mean to say it wasn't funny. It definitely was. But I think I tried imagining how that would go in reality, and ended up sucking the funny out of the thread. My apologies Tom.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Sorry to hear about your marriage dissolving, Doc. Hope the mediation went relatively smoothly/amicably.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Linna: Thanks for the hug. :) It's not a thing I dwell on, fortunately. It's been 20 years, for one thing, and all sorts of other crazy-making stuff has happened since then. 8O

Sorry about your recent split, Doc. Hope things even out for you.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Thank you for your kindness. Last night was the first time I slept in peace without angst. It was calm and uneventful. Everyone left OK, and no emotional nonsense. Life happens...then goes on. I'll be fine.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean

Post by Avatar »

Ah, life. :D

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

My sister who is generally not noted for being wise said something wise when it came to divorce: "It takes about a year to truly feel like yourself again." Since I've been an adult and have been through a divorce and a breakup that felt like a divorce, a year seemed about right before I pulled myself out it. I hope your results are less than that.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Return to “General Discussion Forum”