THE KEVINSWATCH 15TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

aTOMiC
Lord

THE KEVINSWATCH 15TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION

Post by aTOMiC »

Thanks to my renewed interest in The Watch (mainly due to the approaching 1 million posts event) I have spent a fair amount of time rummaging around the Watch looking at old posts and discussion threads. One thing that keeps coming to my attention are the names of members that either no longer participate or do but rarely. I used to be one of the "rarelys". Somewhere between 2008 and 2015 I simply lost interest or was distracted by other matters and so it is plain that many other members have also dropped from the ranks of the daily posters.

On to the point...

I checked the stats and it appears that the switch over from the old message board to the one we use today occurred around May of 2002. I've been around since late 2003 but I don't know the exact history of the genesis of Kevinswatch so forgive my inaccuracy.

What if we acknowledged the 15th Anniversary of the Watch? Is it possible to send out a mass email or PM to all members inviting them to come back for one last, big post-a-rama? I wonder how many absent members would be willing to come back and participate for old times sake.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I like it. Let's run with it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

According to the internet, one's 15th anniversary is the Crystal Anniversary. The traditional gift for a Crystal Anniversary is ... a watch!

You can't make this stuff up.

:biggrin:

Anyway, I didn't join until '04. You old folk go have some fun. Have a nice early dinner, talk about the good ole days, and then watch some Murder She Wrote.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds good to me.

Where's Jay?

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm in.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:
Anyway, I didn't join until '04. You old folk go have some fun. Have a nice early dinner, talk about the good ole days, and then watch some Murder She Wrote.
Nice!

I was 37 when I joined KW not 77. :biggrin:

And I never said anything about getting together. I'm notoriously bad a Elohimfests etc. I was lucky enough to have some Florida members join me when my band played its last performance in 2009 but I HAD to be there for that.

I'm just proposing lost members logging back in (we may need to help them with lost passwords) and posting like old times for a big day.

I think we should create a special temporary forum for the event or at least a new, BOLD thread that everyone can find easily.

Yeah, where is Jay?

TIC TAC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TIC TAC »

And of course it just wouldn't be a thing without all of the alter egos posting as well. :-)

dAN would have to bring back Nowgirl and _____.
THOOLAH - Nuff said.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Celebrating our
Crystal anniversary
Is OK with me
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Sounds awesome! Should be fairly easy to get an admin to email everybody, once we firm up the particulars.

I couldn't tell you which day, for sure, we started it all, but I'm pretty sure I joined the first day the new board was available. So we could arbitrarily and capriciously pick March 5 for the actual anniversary date. :biggrin: Maybe we should try to time the millionth post for that month? If we don't nail it by the end of this year, I mean.

I wonder if SRD would stop by and say a few words. He's a member, y'know. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

aliantha wrote:Sounds awesome! Should be fairly easy to get an admin to email everybody, once we firm up the particulars.

I couldn't tell you which day, for sure, we started it all, but I'm pretty sure I joined the first day the new board was available. So we could arbitrarily and capriciously pick March 5 for the actual anniversary date. :biggrin: Maybe we should try to time the millionth post for that month? If we don't nail it by the end of this year, I mean.

I wonder if SRD would stop by and say a few words. He's a member, y'know. ;)
I like March 5th. No reason I can think of why that can't be the day.

It would indeed be interesting for SRD to pop in. Seems appropriate.
There are other things we could arrange for the anniversary day like a live pod cast or some kind of interactive event that can be linked to the Watch. I'm just the big picture guy I'm not good at details.

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

wayfriend wrote:According to the internet, one's 15th anniversary is the Crystal Anniversary. The traditional gift for a Crystal Anniversary is ... a watch!

You can't make this stuff up.

:biggrin:
a watch!
like the Watch - I get it!
oh, you goofball, wf...

I like this idea. Love the post-a-rama thing.
We should make at least one easy-to-enter but topical (TCoTC-related) threads...
er, someone should, at least...

Should we run contests?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
dANdeLION
Lord

Re: THE KEVINSWATCH 15TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION

Post by dANdeLION »

aTOMiC wrote: I checked the stats and it appears that the switch over from the old message board to the one we use today occurred around May of 2002. I've been around since late 2003 but I don't know the exact history of the genesis of Kevinswatch so forgive my inaccuracy.

What if we acknowledged the 15th Anniversary of the Watch? Is it possible to send out a mass email or PM to all members inviting them to come back for one last, big post-a-rama? I wonder how many absent members would be willing to come back and participate for old times sake.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. :D
I see a few inaccuracies that need further clarification. While the internet version of KW was launched in 2002, KW was invented in 1969-70 by the collective brain trust of Al Gore, Bill Gates and and Danlo:
anonymous
The Origin Of Kevin's Watch

The Watch was created in December of '69, a couple of hours after danlo woke up from a drug-induced coma in the empty field where Woodstock had happened a mere three months earlier. His first thought was, 'Man, Jimi ROCKS!". Then, the dream came back to him. See, during danlo's drug-induced coma (did I mention his coma was drug-induced?), he dremt of the illustrative characters we have come to know and grudgingly accept as High Lord Jay, Alynna, Vain, Sevothtarte and the like. And danlo dremt of a special place where they all lived; a place filled with all sorts of cool people dedicated to truth, justice, and repelling the evil forces of the Terry Brooks Hack Team, and the one known only as the Dark Bird. Oh, and he drempt of the THOOLAH idiots, too. That's what you get for dropping acid, danlo!

Anyway, back to my riveting story. Lying in the field next to him was a young Bill Gates, and when he awoke, danlo described his dream to him. Intrigued, Bill agreed to create and market small, affordable 'Personal Computors' for people to own and use, so that danlo would have a venue to house his concept of a 'Kevin's Watch', and get filthy rich in the process.

Albert Gore happened to be wandering nearby when he overheard this fascinating discourse, and agreed to help danlo and Bill by inventing an 'Internet' by which danlo could share his wonderful ideas with the rest of the world (and help Bill get richer, while winning the Nobel Peace Prize for his altruistic efforts.).

Together, they decided to contact a professional writer to write several books that would be the basis of the whole 'Kevin's Watch' concept; the writer they chose is known to us all as the inimitable Stephen R. Donaldson (Stephen King, their first choice, threw them out of his house, shouting "O, Discordia!"). The reason the Watch appears to be only
fifteen years old is because A) these ideas took time to complete, and B) danlo crashed his VW bus into the arch of time, bending it somewhat.

And thus, so born was Kevin's Watch.[/quote]
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

How could we forget? :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

Well, I'd be happy to babble! Except I'm a relative newbie. Hah!
On the internet, no one can see your evil smirk.

Post by Avatar »

We don't care. :D Every Watcher is special. ;) And welcome. :D

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Thanks for the clarification dAN. I had no idea. :-)

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

What? The story's been in the Hall of Gifts for 10 years! IT'S REQUIRED READING!!!!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Post by Avatar »

We should link to it from the Summonsing. :D

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dANdeLION wrote:What? The story's been in the Hall of Gifts for 10 years! IT'S REQUIRED READING!!!!
It resides in the thread "The Story and Other Stuff dAN didn't Write". How can I read something that you didn't write. I mean that would be impossible. The words are there of course but you insist it wasn't written so logically I had to ignore it. :biggrin:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”