President Trump

Archive From The 'Tank
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Like immature children, the True Believers on the Democrat side were more than willing to be gracious, accepting, and tolerant of other as long as they were winning (or thought they were going to win). Upon losing, though, the facade drops, at which point the attitude becomes one of "how dare you not think the way we think? you must be racist/sexist/misogynist/xenophobic/other negative adjective".

Whether he does an excellent job or an abysmal one, Trump has caused both sides of the political argument to drop their facades. The anyone-but-Trump Republicans are now figuring out how best to cautiously and sheepishly approach the de facto party leader while the Democrats, as noted, are in a daze trying to figure out how anyone else could possibly view things differently than they do.

Let the haters on social media hate...but copy their words now so that you may replay them at some point in the future to remind them of their poor attitude.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Clinton on pace to win popular vote, despite losing election

...Just two days before Election Day, Republican businessman Donald Trump tweeted: "The Electoral College is a disaster for a democracy."

As it turns out, without the Electoral College, Trump probably wouldn't be the president-elect.

A day after Election Day, Clinton held a narrow lead in the popular vote, according to unofficial results tallied by The Associated Press...
Pretty funny. And I don't disagree with him...I've long thought that system could do with a bit of revision.

Anyway, yes, now it remains to be seen how many of his campaign promises become reality, and how many were just hot air.

Will he really do the things he said he would?

I'm sceptical really.

On the plus side, at least it will be interesting.

Also, The Sisters of Mercy promised to release a new album if he was elected. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I don't get it. If each region has electoral college votes in proportion to the number of voters in that region then why does the result of electoral college votes not reflect the popular vote in the final result?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

peter wrote:I don't get it. If each region has electoral college votes in proportion to the number of voters in that region then why does the result of electoral college votes not reflect the popular vote in the final result?
The idea behind this is that a single heavily populated area of the US doesn't hold so much say so in US elections. Can you imagine if only Boston, or NY or California voters always carried the elections?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

The popular vote idea is totally unbalance when dealing with US Elections.
I during my youth, though the same thing about having only the President elected by popular vote. As I got older I realized that that was a horrible idea.
The electoral college was the check and balance that allowed the US to be created. It was the binding factor that all agreed upon. It still works today.

A misconception about a US presidential election. The people are not voting
on whom will be President but they are voting on whom gets the State's electoral votes.

It's the electoral college itself that elects the President. Further it is the States that confirm who will be President, not the citizens. It is the uniting factor that
binds the country.

As above the popular vote would create dead zones for campaigns. Just concentrate on urban population centers and a large area of rural lands are forgotten. The current system negates that.

There is a system that would reflect the popular vote of the country and two states do use the Congressional method. Nebraska and Maine.
For each congressional district the top voter candidate receives that electoral vote and the two senatorial vote goes to the state's top vote
receiver. The rest of the country is where all the votes are awarded as a all
or nothing format. Only a amendment would cause a alignment to reflect the popular vote. There isn't a big push for that. Change would have to come at the state level for any changes. It is the States government that determines how the votes are awarded.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I was chagrined to hear of the protests across the country last night - as if protests could change the outcome of an election.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:I was chagrined to hear of the protests across the country last night - as if protests could change the outcome of an election.

I was also surprised.

The question did occur to me that if Clinton had won would anyone have staged a group protest in this manner? My initial thought would be that there would be many people that wouldn't like the outcome and some would be outraged but I don't think there would be any formal demonstrations. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the difference between Trump and Clinton or the difference between how the left and the right conduct themselves.

What I think people should be outraged about and staging protests en mass has to do with Canada's unfair immigration policy. I don't think political refugees, like the ones that went on record saying that they'd move to Canada if Trump were elected, should be made to wait up to a year to be able to escape the harshness of President Trump's rein of terror. There should be open borders. Citizens from neighboring countries should be allowed to freely choose to live in Canada without restrictions. Its a bloody outrage it is.
And if Miley Cyrus should sneak into Canada illegally she has every right to be allowed to stay there and reap all of the rewards granted to the typical Canadian citizen.
Its a disgrace is what it is. I'm concerned that Canada may decide to erect a wall to keep the members of the U.S. entertainment industry out.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

dlbpharmd wrote:I was chagrined to hear of the protests across the country last night - as if protests could change the outcome of an election.
I was as well. Part of what has made US elections the envy of so much of the world has been the peaceful transfer of power. The election is over but so many want to see of somehow they can change it through protest or through petition. Neither will change the outcome.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Had Clinton won there would have been upset people, maybe even some picket signs, but there wouldn't be masked gangs in the streets spray-painting "fuck clinton" on buildings and no one would be burning her in effigy. The dissenters engaging in their near-violent protests are immature and overly-emotional. I have two things to say to them:

1) now you know how the other side felt in 2008 and 2012

2) grow up and get over it
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

peter wrote:I don't get it. If each region has electoral college votes in proportion to the number of voters in that region then why does the result of electoral college votes not reflect the popular vote in the final result?
This explains it in great detail.

https://www.facebook.com/prageru/videos ... 108382513/
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Had Clinton won there would have been upset people, maybe even some picket signs, but there wouldn't be masked gangs in the streets spray-painting "fuck clinton" on buildings and no one would be burning her in effigy. The dissenters engaging in their near-violent protests are immature and overly-emotional. I have two things to say to them:

1) now you know how the other side felt in 2008 and 2012

2) grow up and get over it
:R :R :R
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The protesters are really only reacting to what they think a Trump Presidency will bring instead of what will actually occur.
Natasha Elena: "I think it speaks to the disenfranchisement of the people that someone like him could be seen as offering anything to the masses. I mean, I think Hillary is no savior either. I think she has an imperialist track record. I think she's a very dangerous candidate. But I think Donald Trump's ability to mobilize perhaps latent racist thoughts is incredibly terrifying, and it's urgent to be out here today."
The "latenct racist thoughts", which may or may not even exist, concern her more than Hillary's actions which are on record--allowing the embassy in Benghazi to be attacked, schmoozing with Middle Eastern State sponsors of terrorism like Saudi Arabia via the Clinton Foundation, hiding e-mail messages from the public and her boss, colluding with Wasserman-Schulz to derail Bernie Sanders, etc.

This is another false narrative just like "hands up don't shoot".

I am still trying to figure out if #CalExit is just a troll or a real thing. I suspect it is a troll because the official website for it cites California not being able to get the government for which it votes (presumably because the rest of the nation simply won't comply) and that they are upset about carrying the rest of us deadbeats on their back (erm...it is actually the other way around).

[/color]
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

People in Texas were saying similar things a few years ago (#TexExit?)
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

rdhopeca wrote:

Awesome explanation!!!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Vraith wrote:
SerScot wrote:Boy was I wrong in my assessment of this race. Zarathustra called it right. I hope I'm wrong about who I believe Trump is too.

I kinda hope I'm wrong about who I think he is, too...because no one deserves to live in a place run by someone who is who I think he is.

If I'm right, though---things are really gonna suck, unless some Republicans decide to rein him in.

OTOH---there might be a very important lesson to learn if he IS like I think, and does what he said. A painful lesson, but maybe necessary.

Can't wait to see the new threads, what plans, exactly, he can/will put in place that people think are good things. I don't remember hearing any good ideas during his campaign. A few ultra-generalized platitudes that might not be terrible is about the best I recall.
The impression of who Trump is was created by the same people who had us believe he couldn't win. They were wrong. Everyone has known who Trump is for decades. He's never been shy. But no one thought Trump was "evil" until he decided to challenge Hillary for the presidency. It's a caricature, a media-DNC* creation.

*[they're the same entity]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Z, big part of that is b/c it didn't matter if he were evil before. Running for president changes things (regardless of accuracy of any labels).

aTOMic, I know right? I read something in USA Today where Canadian govt official was talking about the waiting period for becoming Canadian, b/c they have to make sure you're bringing something to Canada. Can you imagine?!?!
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

rdhopeca wrote:

I stole that from you on FB and forgot to thank you.
So, thank you. :D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

dlbpharmd wrote:People in Texas were saying similar things a few years ago (#TexExit?)
Different reasons but the desired result was the same. People in 2008 going in to 2009 thought Obama was going to use executive orders to direct the military to start rounding up guns or some such nonsense.

Secession is still a legal right which States possess but it should be exercised only as the last, desperate, extreme measure to preserve liberty, not as a knee-jerk reaction because you don't like the result of an election. Too many Democrats spent a few comfortable months wrapped in the security blanket of their social media confirmation bias. Once the blanket got ripped away reality set in and they didn't like it.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote: The impression of who Trump is was created by the same people who had us believe he couldn't win.
Heh...well, maybe for a lot of the country. But I'm from NY, and half a dozen or so relatives live in the city and NJ. My opinion on the kind of guy Trump is is way older than his candidacy.

Did you see the leaked list of possible Cabinet folk?
He's not looking better.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:

I stole that from you on FB and forgot to thank you.
So, thank you. :D
:thumbsup:
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."

Return to “Coercri”