Genealogy

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Apparently all of my cousins are taking genealogy tests right now, trying to prove (or disprove) a family legend. I hadn't ever heard this particular story (not surprising) and I'm pretty sure it was started by my aunt (who was certifiably crazy) - but she's also been dead for many years, and I'm a little bit curious as to what stirred up the sudden level of interest. Have been on the fence about taking a test, but now I'm curious too.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I haven't had a DNA test, but my parents have. According to the results, all of their ancestors came from the British Isles. My family has existed in the US since the American Revolution, so it seems that my ancestors more or less kept to their own ethnic group (although there was some intermarriage with Irish immigrants).
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Irish immigrants were from the British Isles too y'know... ;)

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

My family have done old skool genealogy and my sister tells me we go back to Robert the Bruce. No, not the movie Braveheart King that was a nasty bastard .. Robert the Bruce was the warrior King of Scotland and HE was dubbed Braveheart .. not Wallace πŸ™„ as is depicted in the movie .. historically Robert the Bruces heart was literally carried into battle, earning him the name Braveheart.

Braveheart the Hollywood Gibson movie is not very historically accurate lol πŸ˜‚ .. a lot of poetic license was taken. No Scottish fighter at this time still painted their faces, that was very much a thing of the Picts.

And actually Robert the Bruce supported Wallace privately and publicly.
Last edited by Skyweir on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I got my DNA---and GOD, I'm the fucking definition of "white."
about 1/2 is the British Isles...a bit of every region.
the other half is along the matching North Sea/Channel shore...Scandinavian/French/German coast.
And a large dose of Neanderthal. [[more than 87% of other people, I think the number was]].
And like Nano, my direct/easy ancestors have been here since at least mid 1700's on one side, at least 1680's/90's on the other.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Hahahaha .. Vraith apparently red hair is a Neanderthal trait .. and of course it also arises the angles, celts and saxons .. do you have red hair, blue or green eyes in your family ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Skyweir wrote: do you have red hair, blue or green eyes in your family ..
Only all over the fucking place---though I personally ended up a sort of monochrome. When I have a good tan---which is almost never, since I no longer bike and swim in sun a few hundred miles a month---I'm a nearly-literal sepia-tone person.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:haha:

Join the club πŸ˜‚

Though I am now tanned which is a surprise .. as I used to just fry and burn like a boiled lobster.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

So I got one of these test things done about 1 1/2 years ago, I think. Through 23 & Me. No big surprises. 67% Western European (of which 18% was British/Irish, 9% German from my dad's mother, and 6.5% Scandinavian/Finnish), 16% Eastern European, 5% Southern European, 0.4% African. The most recent British/Irish is in the 1840s, which tallies, I think, with my paternal great-grandmother who came from Ireland. Most recent Eastern European was in the 1810s, which would be the Czech on my mother's side. The Scandinavian/Finnish goes back to 1720-ish, and 1740-1750 was when Capt. Edmund Cantwell married a Dutch girl in what was then Pennsylvania; he was the first Cantwell of our lineage in America and was high sheriff of New Castle County, Delaware. The African goes the farthest back, which also makes sense. And yeah, I have a bit of Neanderthal. :lol:

I was disappointed that it didn't show Native American. But I've learned that Native Americans have been reluctant to participate in DNA testing, given the fact that tribal membership is often based on blood quantum. There's some concern/belief among tribal members that once the blood quantum is sufficiently diluted, the federal government will have no reason to keep the reservation system going and the tribes would lose their sovereignty, and could lose their homes to developers of natural resources.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I just cannot drum up any enthusiasm at all for DNA. I've done it all the hard way. 35 years or so of research and not a single non-English ancestor so far, back to 1605 on my father's side, and all in the same county, Cheshire. Mind you, I haven't been able to get so far back with my mother's side, but we have Ulphs (two great great grandmothers) so there just may be some Scandinavian in there. More likely though they were vassals of Ulph, or took the name from one of the Norfolk villages such as Burnham Ulph.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

You're just jealous Io. :D

Now it's so easy. (For what it's worth anyway...those tests can be a teeny bit suspect...)

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Yes Io and it doesnt really matter about the DNA its all about the lineage and the connections and the history .. thats where you have already aced it. DNA is great but doesnt give you ANY of that detail that puts human faces to your geneology .. your actual past.

I think what you have achieved and continue achieving is amazing. I wish I had what you have mapped out. I really do. But almost all the geneological history I have is legacy work that Ive received from family .. I have done a bit of hubbys but his is pretty easy they several generations Australian .. but all my info is UK based. Ive gotten a limited number of certificates from the UK but find distance to be a disadvantage. I suppose some resources are available online but have had to go to specific counties for specific records.

I have the McCallums at home but my cousin is not likely to want to go running around for me lol πŸ˜‚
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Io, I think DNA is more appealing to Americans because we're not in as fortunate a position as you are -- we haven't lived in the same place for generation upon generation and our lineages are much more interbred.

I think it's fabulous, all the work you've done on your family tree. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Not that people don't know, but if you don't know ...
Despite all that, we're guessing that when you signed up for Ancestry or 23andMe, you probably didn't read the fine print to find out what, exactly, those companies plan to do with your data. We can't blame you - they're long, boring polices written in legalese that's difficult to understand. If you actually read those policies, though, you might not have gone ahead with the test. It turns out that the breadth of rights you are giving away to your DNA is kind of terrifying.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

8O
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

What are they gonna do, clone me? They should be so lucky! We could spread me all over, so more of you can meet me!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Pffft πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
:LOLS:

Now wouldnt that be something :haha: :cheers: :dance: :twirl: :goodnevil:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

American Eric. Australian Eric. Baltic Eric. Iberian Eric. I'm having a tough time finding a downside to this.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Thats because of a severe lack of objectivity πŸ˜‚ .. being the me, myself and I .. of the story 😏 .. its the ID, EGO and superego at play

:haha:

But if you do realise this prospect, do pop by for a cuppa, or a beer, your shout 😎
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aliantha wrote:Io, I think DNA is more appealing to Americans because we're not in as fortunate a position as you are -- we haven't lived in the same place for generation upon generation and our lineages are much more interbred.

I think it's fabulous, all the work you've done on your family tree. :)
All true.

I wouldn't even know where to start.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Return to β€œGeneral Discussion Forum”