So.....

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Very cool. I particularly like the example forum "Marvel Heroes" but that kind of thing is always going to catch my eye. :-)

The number of plug ins is encouraging and some look as if they may replicate some of the fun features our current forum has.

When I have a bit more time I will review more of the options and examples.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Possibly Items become Badges.

But I see no equivalent for WGDs.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

We'll all be broke...

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

...and have less motivation to play Win WayFriend's (non-existent) Money.

(who am I kidding? I play for fun, for art, and all the proceeds go to my White Gold Wanter, even when she was my co-competitor)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Saw this today.
i was thinking a great way of extending it further into the community was to allow players to generate currency for their character by posting in the community forums.

There was a mod for this years ago for PHPbb2 called "Cash Mod", but I don't want to use PHPBB2. that would be half-retarded.

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, maybe by the time we get there they'll have built one. :D

--A
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

That was pretty funny. :D
Many have been complaining about PHPbb2 for a long time.

I've personally never really had any complaints about this type of message board that we currently have though.
It's actually one of the cleanest looking message boards I've ever used.
Most have clutter all over the place.

What functionality is missing or what user experience can be better moving to another platform?
Or are the complaints and upgrades a more behind the scenes (Admin-wise)
type of thing?

Or is all this just to keep another future takeover from the Terry Brooks Hack Team from happening?
:biggrin:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:What functionality is missing or what user experience can be better moving to another platform?
Or are the complaints and upgrades a more behind the scenes (Admin-wise)
type of thing?
I'm not sure. I'm like you, I feel the current board is very clear. I'm not sure what's missing that people are wanting for? There's definitely nothing on the admin end that I care are missing.

If we're going to go through the effort of a board change and lose a lot of features, what really are we gaining?
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Or is all this just to keep another future takeover from the Terry Brooks Hack Team from happening?
:biggrin:
Haha. Good times.

-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I upvote the point that this board is presented well. I hope we make any new board look similar.

I think one of main things people find missing is good mobile access. (Which is a key component of encouraging participation.)

What may not be visible to the general user is that really old software is a pain in the ass. There's no one around to fix issues or even give you a hint about how they might be fixed. So it gets harder and harder to maintain. General users may not have any issue with the current board, but the people who run it probably do.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote: I think one of main things people find missing is good mobile access. (Which is a key component of encouraging participation.)
I think this was the central issue that brought this topic up in the first place.

I can access the Watch fairly well via android however having access via an app that is optimized for small screens and touch functions would be welcome to many of us.

As to how the Watch functions and appears on the full screen of a laptop I have no complaints.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Post by Avatar »

Pretty much agree. I don't have many issues with it. I don't need mobile access myself, but understand many do.

The only other thing I can think about is this new annoyance of not being able to paste in anything with "special" characters.

--A
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

So we are kinda staying where we are then? :) One thing I think is a problem is that Google doesn't seem to be indexing us as well as it used to. Something about the way Google does its thing nowadays. It has a whinge about the page not being mobile friendly...

https://search.google.com/search-consol ... t-redirect

Post by Avatar »

They've gone all "mobile first" these days. Shouldn't stop them from indexing us though, should just mostly affect rankings. If other mobile friendly sites provide the same information searchers are looking for, they would get preference over a non-mobile friendly site.

As for staying where we are...I'm mostly ok with it. (Maybe add that ssl though: https://letsencrypt.org/ )

Maybe we should have a poll...

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”