33%
someone else
No votes

Total votes: 3

shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Best parents

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

After a recent discussion about Geraden's family, the Domnes, I thought about the various families we meet in the books and what sort of parents they would make. So, if you could choose, who would you pick as parents? Who would you want, if you lived in the world of Mordant, to be raised under?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, quite different from who were the best parents though. :D

If I could choose, I would choose Joyce, because obviously then I would be a prince of the realm, y'know. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I chose "Myste and her sci-fi warrior", just for fun! :luke: :queen:
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

I chose Minick and his shy wife.

He made Terisa hurt her face from smiling so much. He never panicked during the Great Cat-astrophy like most everyone else, his wife is very sweet and only has trouble in big crowds. Minick won't push his children to become great but he won't repress their ambitions either, I feel. He and his wife will support them in whatever they choose to become and always provide a safe haven from the tumultuous outer world when necessary. (tldr?)
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:I chose Minick and his shy wife.

He made Terisa hurt her face from smiling so much. He never panicked during the Great Cat-astrophy like most everyone else, his wife is very sweet and only has trouble in big crowds. Minick won't push his children to become great but he won't repress their ambitions either, I feel. He and his wife will support them in whatever they choose to become and always provide a safe haven from the tumultuous outer world when necessary. (tldr?)

You make a very good argument for the Minicks as parents, shadowbinding shoe! I guess I probably would want Myste and Darsint as parents, because being raised by people like that would make for a great autobiography some day! :read: 8) :mrgreen: ;)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Concerning Minick and his shy wife, I don't doubt that they would raise kids that would learn to take care of themselves, but perhaps they wouldn't instill much ambition in them to go out and tackle great challenges. I'm not sure they are capable of producing children that could be true leaders. Still, I admit that they would probably make quite loving parents. And I acknowledge that children can always conceive ambitions independent of their parents' ideals and examples.
"I understand you spent the afternoon with Minick." Quiss was nearly shouting, but Terisa could hardly hear her. "The whole afternoon? Letting him show you around?"

Terisa nodded.

"Good for you. I knew I like you as soon as I saw you. He's your friend for life. Most people aren't willing to listen to him that long."

"They ought to give it a try." Terisa tried to speak loudly enough to be audible. "He's nice."

It was Quiss' turn to nod. "Fortunately, his nieces and nephews dote on him." She indicated the children at the other end of the room. "I mean, fortunately for them.

"If his wife weren't so shy, he'd be here tonight. I know it saddens him sometimes that he can't spend more time with us. But I think the poor woman panics every time she sets foot outside her house." Quiss started to laugh, but Terisa couldn't hear what her laughter sounded like through the noise. "They must have had a rousing courtship."

Terisa grinned again, then raised her hands to rub the muscles in her cheeks.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Cord Hurn wrote:Concerning Minick and his shy wife, I don't doubt that they would raise kids that would learn to take care of themselves, but perhaps they wouldn't instill much ambition in them to go out and tackle great challenges. I'm not sure they are capable of producing children that could be true leaders. Still, I admit that they would probably make quite loving parents. And I acknowledge that children can always conceive ambitions independent of their parents' ideals and examples.
Pushing your kids into ambition is one way. Another is by example. Yet another is through unconditioned love. Love begets love and the wish to be worthy of it, to take care of those who did so much for you. But in the end, not everyone in Mordant needs to be a general or leader. A kid of those two might be an artist. (Tholden's will be farmers and expert fertilizers.)
"I understand you spent the afternoon with Minick." Quiss was nearly shouting, but Terisa could hardly hear her. "The whole afternoon? Letting him show you around?"

Terisa nodded.

"Good for you. I knew I like you as soon as I saw you. He's your friend for life. Most people aren't willing to listen to him that long."

"They ought to give it a try." Terisa tried to speak loudly enough to be audible. "He's nice."

It was Quiss' turn to nod. "Fortunately, his nieces and nephews dote on him." She indicated the children at the other end of the room. "I mean, fortunately for them.

"If his wife weren't so shy, he'd be here tonight. I know it saddens him sometimes that he can't spend more time with us. But I think the poor woman panics every time she sets foot outside her house." Quiss started to laugh, but Terisa couldn't hear what her laughter sounded like through the noise. "They must have had a rousing courtship."

It's nice to get such an everyday life depiction in the story. It's not just monsters and heroes battling one another. There's also room for a shy woman who struggle with her aversion of crowds. :D
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

And not everybody has to go out and tackle great challenges. Somebody has to grow the food and all that. (Which can actually be a great challenge all of its own too.)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Pushing your kids into ambition is one way. Another is by example. Yet another is through unconditioned love. Love begets love and the wish to be worthy of it, to take care of those who did so much for you. But in the end, not everyone in Mordant needs to be a general or leader. A kid of those two might be an artist. (Tholden's will be farmers and expert fertilizers.)

Terisa nodded.

It's nice to get such an everyday life depiction in the story. It's not just monsters and heroes battling one another. There's also room for a shy woman who struggle with her aversion of crowds. :D
Which, for me, just gives the story more emotional depth, making me care more about the story's outcome.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:And not everybody has to go out and tackle great challenges. Somebody has to grow the food and all that. (Which can actually be a great challenge all of its own too.)

--A
Very true! There are a number of farmers in my family to attest to that being a challenge,

Return to “Mordant's Need”