Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

First week of leave already flown by...how unjust is time... :D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

They seem to have removed The Donkey Song from the playlist, which is good. I now have Santa Baby stuck in my head, which is not good.

I finally broke down and looked up the lyrics, because it really sounds like she's asking for an outer-space convertible. Bit of a potential design flaw there, no?

The top match is 'auto space convertible'.
The next highest match is 'out-of-space convertible'.

I don't think either of those are actual things.

I wish the song itself wasn't an actual thing.

Brain needs more Tom Waits.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Sorus wrote: Brain needs more Tom Waits.
I will now make my appreciation of you official.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:I woke up a bit sick, and have just been hunkering down on the couch all morning.
Hope to get some work done then nap and.. yeah...
Skyweir- I believe you exist. and Austrailia, too.
But... oh, that thread...
Threre's a whole thread on this???? hahahahahahahaha ..

devil makes idle work for idle hands

:LOLS:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Sorus wrote:They seem to have removed The Donkey Song from the playlist, which is good. I now have Santa Baby stuck in my head, which is not good.

I finally broke down and looked up the lyrics, because it really sounds like she's asking for an outer-space convertible. Bit of a potential design flaw there, no?

The top match is 'auto space convertible'.
The next highest match is 'out-of-space convertible'.

I don't think either of those are actual things.

I wish the song itself wasn't an actual thing.

Brain needs more Tom Waits.
I listened to the original to check after reading this, and it's "'54 convertible" in that one, so I have no idea what the version they're playing for you could be.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

There are multiple versions. Far more than the world needs. The '54 is the classic Eartha Kitt version, which is still used, but the something-space seems to be more common, at least on the playlist at work. I'm going to the Special Hell for this, but here's a more recent version that's actually by Eartha Kitt, and at 0:50 or thereabouts, someone please tell me what she's saying.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

She definitely says "out of space convertible" there, which is... nonsense?
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

There's been a definite trend in the last couple of years towards changing lyrics that might be perceived as offensive - for example, Eskimo is being phased out in favor of Canadian. But why change an inoffensive line that made sense? I wish I actually liked the song so I could justify embarking on a quest to find the origin of the change. But while I will admit to curiosity, I don't care enough to go into research mode, especially on a day when I am not being forced to listen to the song.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I suppose wanting a "'52 convertible" is a bit outdated.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Sorus wrote:There's been a definite trend in the last couple of years towards changing lyrics that might be perceived as offensive - for example, Eskimo is being phased out in favor of Canadian.
I didn't catch that "Canadian" is being the replacement word...

And we remember when we were kids and Eskimos were these awesome people who lived in the Arctic and built amazing houses from blocks of ice!

Maybe we should do a parody of Grammarly-gone-wrong with this stuff.

Those Grammarly ads... watching people write, and do "important announcements"; I admit I don't always click to watch my YouTube video as soon as I can if it's one of those.
the ads make me feel like if I had their software I would be able to churn out content like a pro. When that's ...not what it's actually made for.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:I didn't catch that "Canadian" is being the replacement word...

And we remember when we were kids and Eskimos were these awesome people who lived in the Arctic and built amazing houses from blocks of ice!
The majority still use the original wording, but the substitution jumps out at me just because it sounds out of place. The etymological origin of the word Eskimo (and whether or not it's offensive) is rather interesting.
I'm Murrin wrote:I suppose wanting a "'52 convertible" is a bit outdated.
True, but one in good condition would probably be quite valuable, which seems to be all the lady in the song cares about.

At any rate, I'm going to stick with outer space, since it makes sense. (Even if it's probably not a good idea.)

We were halfway past Saturn when Bob decided to put the top down for a better view of the rings. The resulting legal kerfuffle saw the Tesla Cruiser convertible banned from Earth all the way to Proxima Centauri...

Cagliostro wrote:
Sorus wrote: Brain needs more Tom Waits.
I will now make my appreciation of you official.
That's the nicest thing I've heard all week.

Post by Avatar »

I am pleased to say that I have never heard of this song you're referring to, and have no intention of broadening my horizons in this regard. :D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Seriously? Never? I've heard it twice an hour for the past month.

That's it, I'm moving to South Africa. Giant spiders are preferable to Santa Baby.

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Sorus wrote:Seriously? Never? I've heard it twice an hour for the past month.

That's it, I'm moving to South Africa. Giant spiders are preferable to Santa Baby.
:lol:

I'm dealing with being sick. not very well, maybe.
I have experimented with Sleeping In A Recliner, to be upright so my congestion doesn't... cause things to get worse.

Oh, I got to hear funny updates from final exams on Saturday: (my hubbie handling both his class and mine)
Him: "My class had people being complete goofballs. One guy literally said, 'can I test this out with an actual door?' for one [Physics] problem."
Me: "Oh."
Him: "Yeah, I was like, 'knock yourself out.' "
Me: "Did you actually say that?"
Him: "Probably something equally sarcastic. This was also the one who asked 'Can you OD on Vitamin C? Because these vitamins are soooo good!" (about vitamins the student had on the table!)

So yeah, that amused me. Pretty sure students are gettin' restless about this time. the goofballs. :roll:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Hope you feel better soon. I'm in favor of Vitamin C myself, though the candy-type is soo bad for your teeth - it's basically made of acid and sugar. (I say that, yet I have a box of Airborne squirreled away in preparation for a need that will almost certainly arise sometime this season.)

Herbal tea, though. Pick your favorite kind and drink it 'til you float. I bought a thermos specifically for that purpose a couple of years back - holds multiple cups and keeps them hot. (Okay, it's mainly so that I don't have to say 'BRB, making tea' every 15 minutes when I'm in WoW.)

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I feel bad that I haven't been posting at my usual frequency. Maybe I need to buy a bigger phone.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

They're really not that big. :D Even one about the size of your palm would be worthy of remark. Bigger than that are correspondingly more rare. (Ok, depending on where you are of course...rural areas have a greater preponderance.)

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aTOMiC wrote:I feel bad that I haven't been posting at my usual frequency. Maybe I need to buy a bigger phone.
Mallory's hasn't been the same the past few weeks. I mean, we try, but... :(

They're really not that big. :D Even one about the size of your palm would be worthy of remark.

See, we have different definitions of 'really not that big'. Anything larger than a quarter (say a legspan of over an inch around), is big. One the size of your palm would be a cause for spontaneous levitation, hopefully in the direction of the nearest flamethrower. (And any remarks would probably be unprintable in polite company.)

Post by Avatar »

They're a lot more scared of you than you are of them. :D

Today I feel however it is you feel when you're on holiday, but are still up at 04h40 because of the cats...

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

We have one of these living at our house:

They're very shy and avoid people where possible, but they pack a very venomous punch!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen

Return to “General Discussion Forum”