Beware the decline of Christianity

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Nanothnir wrote: EDIT: Funny that you should mention Southern Baptists. I find that they are pretty typical of Evangelical Christians in general. That happens to be a huge segment of the Christian population in America. In fact, that group has a stranglehold on the GOP, giving us idiots like Rick Sanitorium or whatever his name is.
I was raised Southern Baptist. Much of what gets in the media is extreme versions of what the core of the Southern Baptists are about. Because anything less doesn't sell as a newscast. I would consider myself an independent Christian right now. Much of what we are about would surprise you. We say things like "Don't judge others for sinning differently than you do"
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

SoulBiter wrote:
Nanothnir wrote: EDIT: Funny that you should mention Southern Baptists. I find that they are pretty typical of Evangelical Christians in general. That happens to be a huge segment of the Christian population in America. In fact, that group has a stranglehold on the GOP, giving us idiots like Rick Sanitorium or whatever his name is.
I was raised Southern Baptist. Much of what gets in the media is extreme versions of what the core of the Southern Baptists are about. Because anything less doesn't sell as a newscast. I would consider myself an independent Christian right now. Much of what we are about would surprise you. We say things like "Don't judge others for sinning differently than you do"
It really depends on the church. I'm ex-Southern Baptist myself, and I've seen some churches where most people were exactly as Sky described them. In my experience, the churches up North are more tolerant than those in the Deep South. People might say "All sins are the same, don't judge others by how they sin since you also sin," but their actions were very different. They were also extremely racist (particularly in smaller churches in the countryside). Larger churches, not so much. Still...

Southern Baptists are why I became Catholic. While I disagree with a lot of shit that the Vatican says, at least the Catholic church is more tolerant of people in general. However, I disagree with blasphemy laws and the promotion of redistributionism (spreading the wealth) in the Church. I am very much fiscally conservative, which puts me at odds with Catholic teaching. I believe that I've even read an article by a bishop that claimed that "Libertarians are un-Catholic." I'm a libertarian-leaning person. How awkward. :lol: Then again, I don't give a shit.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I think at the end of the day there are religious nutters everywhere.. there are good religious people as well.

I think given the extremes discussed here with IS .. extremist Islamic groupies and the crazy southern baptists and all their shit .. the cray cray ones who end up getting media coverage ........ AND a host of cult followers etc .. what they all have in common is their beliefs. They all believe god wants them to go on their individual or common crusade.

On that note a quick Segway .. the Christian Crusaders are currently in court on charges of terrorism. 🤷‍♀️ Yep white, 50 something Christian nutters planning to kill Muslim refugees in the state of Kansas.

But I digress, what they all have in common is a perverted belief they act for god. That mythical being that lives in the sky who enjoys pitting human against human in a war of fealty to it.

Thats the problem.Well in my opinion . Is these backward thinking mouth breathers that think a all powerful all knowing deity gives a shit about any of the shit, they give a shit about.

In doing so they reinforce their perverted agenda ad infinitum. Its a never broken perpetuation of hate, discrimination and unprincipled and unholy judgement.
Last edited by Skyweir on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:
Cail wrote:If you value equal treatment of women and homosexuals, as well as the freedom to call religion, "fantasy", then the rise of Islam in Europe, and the wave of emigration from the ME should concern you greatly.
Christianity doesn't value any of those things either of course.
Bunk. Christianity doesn't stone people, throw them off buildings, or behead them. Nor do they do this.
I didn't say that Christianity stones people (anymore), or throws them off buildings of beheads them, or beats them for refusing arranged marriages (anymore).

I said that Christianity traditionally didn't (and technically still doesn't) value the equal treatment of women and homosexuals, or the freedom to call religion fantasy.
In 1 Timothy 2:12 was wrote:But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
In Leviticus 20:13 was wrote:If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.
In Leviticus 24:16 was wrote:Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.
In Psalm 14:1 was wrote:The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is none who does good.
Religious practice and teachings and opinion change over time in order to remain relevant to the people who practice it. If/when enough practitioners move away from those specific interpretations, then the religious teachings adapt.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Im sure there exist radical christians and others who still literally believe in every biblical word as directions to adhere to.

Of course how do you deal with the exigencies of literary conflict and contradictions 🤷‍♀️ .. well apologists do their part.. the convenience of individual or institutional adaptations and interpretation does the rest. 🤷‍♀️ We make it what we want it to be .. period.

Theyre all the same .. every religious institution and every branch of to it and every individual member of it .. does just that. And with the issues they cant reconcile .. because no reconciliation could possibly enlighten its meaning .. they instruct their followers not to question and exercise faith.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Skyweir wrote:Im sure there exist radical christians and others who still literally believe in every biblical word as directions to adhere to.
They're the extremely rare exception, not the rule. Unless you're Avatar and living a thousand years ago. Honor killings, arranged marriages of minor children, genital mutilation, intolerance of infidels, women, and homosexuals....That's mainstream Islam right now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Skyweir wrote:Im sure there exist radical christians and others who still literally believe in every biblical word as directions to adhere to.

Of course how do you deal with the exigencies of literary conflict and contradictions 🤷‍♀️ .. well apologists do their part.. the convenience of individual or institutional adaptations and interpretation does the rest. 🤷‍♀️ We make it what we want it to be .. period.

Theyre all the same .. every religious institution and every branch of to it and every individual member of it .. does just that. And with the issues they cant reconcile .. because no reconciliation could possibly enlighten its meaning .. they instruct their followers not to question and exercise faith.
To be honest, a lot of Christians (particularly Protestants) believe that the Bible is to be 100% interpreted literally. All Christians believe in the infallibility of the Bible, or at least most. The thing is, most people don't know everything about their faith. I've read the bible twice in my lifetime and forgot about those passages concerning blasphemy and homosexuality in Leviticus, which to be honest disgust me. I'm sure this is the case with most Muslims, as those ex-Muslims pointed out. That's why they left their religion (when they found out about those troublesome passages in their scriptures).
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The difference between Islam and Christianity is that the Muslim world never went through its own Enlightenment. Christianity didn't just merely evolve to fit the times; it's not a point in Christianity's favor that it was dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age. The West underwent a revolution on all fronts, from science to society. Literal revolution happened, giving us freedom from monarchs and the threat of theocracy. Conceptual/figurative revolution freed us from the chains of dogma.

Islam isn't going to adapt to the Western ideals because it's still largely practiced in theocracies. And the scientific revolution which freed us from dogma is seen as something Western, part of our decadent culture that must be resisted.

Christianity is just an irrelevant leftover. This isn't a contest between two religions, or even two cultures that have two different religions. This is a contest between a medieval worldview and the Enlightened West. Comparing religions misses the point. Christianity is mostly harmless (from a political standpoint, not a personal one) because it has been reduced to a contradiction: a religion that is too embarrassed to follow its own Holy Book. Christianity has been shamed, cowed. Islam, on the other hand, is still dominated by people who take it seriously enough to wage a religious war. Christianity hasn't triumphed over Islam, it isn't "better" than Islam merely because it happened to exist in a society that remade itself in spite of religion, it has instead been beaten into submission by reason--so much so that it denies its own origins and tenets in the Old Testament.

Pretending that the origins of Christianity are anything other than butchery, slavery, homophobia, infanticide, xenophobia, racism, etc. is just being dishonest. The Bible describes brutality after brutality as if they were good. Its believers think there's nothing wrong with drowning virtually 99.9999% of all life on earth because God was pissed at some humans. It's not enough that they would all go to hell after they die, nope, got to drown them all along with most of the animal life before they get there, destroying Creation in a Heavenly hissy fit. Yeah, that sounds like the actions of an all-knowing, benevolent God! Fuck life on earth, drown them all. That'll teach them!

Oops, no it didn't. We're still just as shitty as we were then. :roll: Smooth move God! Got any better ideas, infinitely wise being? How about a flesh eating virus? Or a good ol' asteroid? Come on, teach us another lesson! We know it's only because you love us so much that you inflict such catastrophes upon us!

Nevermind, we came up with our own idea: reject your barbaric mythology.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Blasphemer!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think Zar's view is jaundiced due to his anti-religion lenses.

The simple difference is that Christians, for one reason or another, decided to stop killing people who don't agree with their dogma. And Christ did, in fact, make a distinction between the laws of God and man. There are no Christian theocracies, and there haven't been in a long, long time. "Killing in the name of Christ" just isn't a thing anymore, with the exception of the odd lunatic here and there. Whereas Islam hasn't gotten there, and won't anytime soon.

Christians, by and large, keep their religion and their government separated, and in the rare case that there's a push to connect them, it's usually squashed quickly.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

True enough ..

But allow me to bow deeply to Z for that brilliant critique 😎 Beautifully articulated and highly compelling. And not just because I share those views, but because I doubt I could express them so efficiently or eloquently. Nice Z .. very nice work indeed.

Ok back to Cail - yes I agree and I partly disagree.

Yes Christianity has evolved if you will .. as Z described. The Enlightenment might have played a significant role in that evolution but they continued to burn and drown women deemed witches.

Many atrocities were committed by virtue of missionary work .. spreading Christianity to the four corners of the earth.

Yes Christianity influenced the development of the West but also retained views of women as property and blacks as slaves and today still demonises homosexuality as it utterly conflicts with the Christian and Islamic paradigms.

But yes for the most part Christianity is much more civilised generally speaking only than it was. Youre right about Muslims adhering to an arcane framework of beliefs. Even the Jews who share similar tomes are not at all arcane .. but I suppose there are orthodoxies that are 🤷‍♀️

I hope that as humans continue to evolve intellectually.. become more enlightened.. they will set aside religions, myth and fable .. and see the world without the restrictions and blindness religion institute to preserve their mythologies.

I hope one day there will be no need of religions because we know better.
Last edited by Skyweir on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I seem to remember learning in school that the Muslims kept science alive during the Dark Ages. Kind of ironic?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Fist and Faith wrote:I seem to remember learning in school that the Muslims kept science alive during the Dark Ages. Kind of ironic?
I will break my self-imposed exile from The Close to respond to this one comment:

That was before the advent of Wahhabism.

Now I take my leave again.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't know....
Considering the recent resurgence of racist/religioist/authoritarian Westerners, I'd say Christianity is one successful prophet away from being as deadly as it ever was.
One might think most Christians have outgrown such things.
I'm not so sure AND it really doesn't take many to raise holy terror.
Cail may be correct on how most Christians behave.
But the ones that AREN't like that are armed and pissed---and have just enough radicalized U.S. vets that actually know what combat is on their side to fuck things up.
One might think they don't really exist. One would be wrong.
You can find at least a couple in almost any VFW or American Legion post you care to visit.
Just a few bad apples, one might say...as some say about police as well...don't worry about it. But the people who push the bad apple idea lately seem to forget the REST of the adage.

You know who else thinks the West isn't all that besides the extreme Islamists?
People who could actually be a possible threat RIGHT now, not in some possible [and unlikely] Theocratic Muslim future?
Russian Federation.
China.
North Korea.
Those are just the most likely outsiders...
Heh...we just got Bolton in a position of power/influence. He's as dangerous as Iran all by himself.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Agreed.

And on your point there are some radicalised Christians in court now answering charges of terrorism following a 15m FBI investigation.. their plan dismantled.. was to deploy improvised explosive devices in homes of Muslim immigrants, their mosques in Kansas. They possessed an highly stocked armoury. All now confiscated and amen to the 2nd amendment.. umm .. rights of those men.

So not all are equal .. in that evolution 😕
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Vraith wrote:I don't know....
Considering the recent resurgence of racist/religioist/authoritarian Westerners, I'd say Christianity is one successful prophet away from being as deadly as it ever was.
Help me out here, I can't think of a single racist/religioist/authoritarian Westerner who has become resurgent recently. Are you talking about Trump? He's less religious than Obama, less authoritarian than Hillary, and while I know it's popular to describe him as a racist, supporting border security doesn't make you a racist.
Vraith wrote:Heh...we just got Bolton in a position of power/influence. He's as dangerous as Iran all by himself.[/color]
It's statements like this that entirely undermine your credibility. We get it, you don't like Republicans. But come on, he's not as dangerous as Iran! He's not a state sponsor of terrorism, he's not trying to build nukes in defiance of the world, he's never kidnapped Americans, he doesn't oppress millions of his own people, he has never promised to wipe a country off the map. Jesus, Vraith, get a grip! Statements like this just make you look ludicrous and unhinged.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Mainstream Christians aren't going to rise up and stone women and gays, nor will they sit quietly when others do. The most recent example I can think of is the killing of abortion doctors a decade or two ago. Even hard-line pro-life Christians were against that.

I'm not defending the faith one little bit, but there's no way fundamentalist Christians ever take over this or any country.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I mean to say: thanks Sky!
Cail wrote:The simple difference is that Christians, for one reason or another, decided to stop killing people who don't agree with their dogma.
You don't think it's because they happen to find themselves in societies that reject God and Biblical revelation as the ultimate truth? A change came about because of scientific + social revolution? It can't be a coincidence.

Society and human knowledge has been moving forward, pushing the change, while (like the Pope finally apologizing about Galileo centuries later) Christianity has just been playing catch up, dragged along unwillingly and forced to make changes in order just to stay relevant.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote: Are you talking about Trump?

It's statements like this that entirely undermine your credibility. We get it, you don't like Republicans.
On the first: No. I wasn't thinking about him at all on that. I was thinking about the neo-nazi and related protests around the U.S., the rise of right-wing parties all around Europe, those kinds of things.

On the second...it's not Republicans, though the extremes they've welcomed is starting to make it that way... It's nasty pieces of work like Bolton. Bolton has an absolute lust for war. Truth doesn't undermine my credibility, and his own words prove he is.
And plenty of our friends and allies are state sponsors of terror...including ourselves every so often. Iran isn't the worst by any objective measure.

Go ahead, Hashi...move this on out of here.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Vraith wrote:[Go ahead, Hashi...move this on out of here.
That would be me. And I'm ok with it so far.

And I'd say, no matter how overblown Iran's bad reputation might be, it's still done way way worse than Bolton has done. He's just an annoying singer. And he was great on Fresh Off the Boat.

:mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The Close”