Generation Ink

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Generation Ink

Post by peter »

To be 'inked' is almost de rigueur in today's world and I'm going to be honest, I find it somewhat dull. The problem I have is that I see so many people every day, so many sporting tats, and so often the same ones churned out by the same parlours, that any adornment value the things may have ever had is by now totally lost. I see sleeves by the thousand, every second builder with the sleeves torn off his hoodie is a Maori and children's names, birthdays and even handprints spill off every exposed bit of epidermis. I almost sing with joy when I see something new and original, something tasteful (and often discreet) that reminds me that I did once love body inking. A lady came into the shop the other day with a simple doll 'stick-figure' on the back of her wrist, a copy of a drawing her child had done on her birthday card; it was simple and effective and quite lovely - but these are the exceptions. My advice to youngsters these days would be, if you want to stand out from the crowd - stay away from the ink.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I don't personally have a strong opinion about such things, though I do sometimes wonder about the tattoos some of my coworkers have - one guy in particular has a cartoon covering his entire arm. Maybe it has some special meaning to him; I don't have the sort of relationship where it would be good etiquette to ask.

I don't have any ink myself, though I am not against the idea - there are a couple of designs I've considered over the years, and if I find the right artist I might eventually get one or both.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Coincedently, a new coworker has a spider web design covering his ear. As part of his new age personality - orange hair, multi piercings, eye twinkle, etc...
Kids, a word from the wise - ignore - do what you thinks' best.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Interestingly the symbol used to convey the information that one had served an extended prison sentence in days gone by (a cobweb that is). Another one in the special lexecon of ex con 'ink argot' is the tear drop below the eye, which informs those in the know that one has comitted murder.

[I have 3 tattoo's by the way ;) ]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Waddley has a beautiful tattoo on her back, with the words, "There is also love in the world" the theme of it. She may have gotten more since that one, but that's the one I know about.

Once I have my FLAP reconstructive surgery, I am hoping to be picked by the organization P.Ink to have decorative tattoos done to hide my surgical scars.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

P.Ink That's sweet.
peter wrote:[I have 3 tattoo's by the way ;) ]
Very funny, peter :lol:
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Lazy Luke wrote:P.Ink That's sweet.
Strange, but true! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

peter wrote:
Lazy Luke wrote:P.Ink That's sweet.
Strange, but true! :lol:
Eat at Luigi's :lol:
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

peter wrote:
[I have 3 tattoo's by the way ;) ]
Do you regret getting them, or is it more an issue with the high-visibility and lack of uniqueness that seems prevalent?

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Mmmm........

No - I don't even notice my own tats anymore; my observations are more along the lines of how uninspired the huge majority of the work I see is. A tat can be a thing of beauty - an original statement; what I see today is 99.9 percent kitsch 0.01 percent art. My tats are neither - but they are one hundred percent original.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Esmer
Giantfriend

Post by Esmer »

Menolly wrote:Waddley has a beautiful tattoo on her back, with the words, "There is also love in the world" the theme of it. She may have gotten more since that one, but that's the one I know about.

Once I have my FLAP reconstructive surgery, I am hoping to be picked by the organization P.Ink to have decorative tattoos done to hide my surgical scars.

i hate to admit it, but i never liked that tattoo. sorry Waddley :(
even God must bend the knee
to the tyrant of eternity
having always been, to always have to be
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*cross posted*

P.Ink (Personal Ink) is an organization which organizes decorative tattoos to cover masectomy and reconstructive surgery scars for free once a year in various cities.

Here's the information for any of my friends also considering having this done. I'm at least a couple of years out, as you have to be at least a year post reconstruction, and I have yet to have my surgery due to weight limits. Getting closer, though!

In the meantime, I contacted the local group here, asking how I can volunteer to help. Maybe others would be interested in helping out their local groups for P.Ink Day 2018 and forward.

p-ink.org/p-inkday/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It certainly has become more and more popular. A far cry from our parents generation who mostly believed only sailors and criminals had tattoos. :D

I'm generally in favour myself, but as with anything, people sometimes make poor decisions. :D

--A
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

My sister has a charm bracelet tattoo around her ankle. Each charm symbolizes one of her pets.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Khaliban wrote:My sister has a charm bracelet tattoo around her ankle. Each charm symbolizes one of her pets.
I like that idea. Does she do it for new adoptions, or for memorials?

I almost got a memorial tattoo for one of my cats - several years ago, when I was going through a whole lot of bad stuff. Not in a good frame of mind to make that sort of decision, and I'm glad I didn't go through with it, though I don't think I'd really regret it too much if I had done it.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Thats quite sweet. Im not a tat person myself .. but three of the kids all have tats.

I was quite touched by some of their tats .. they lost a baby sister and two of them have her birth date tattooed on their bodies with a single rose. One has our family as interconnected flowers, tattooed, which is sweet and doesnt look awful. I really like their tats.

As a starship troopers groupie .. I always thought it would be fun to have a "Death before Dishonour" .. but never got it. LOL :lol: 😂

A good friend of my kids, and who hung at our place throughout his teen years .. lost his mum when he was a little kid .. had a dream where his mum embraced him like wings wrapped around him .. and several years later he penned the most beautiful amazing pic of the imagery .. and had it tattooed around his upper body .. it looks truly awesome .. and its meaningful .. which adds that special something.

My husband is not a fan of tats .. very much from that generation Av that thinks only crims, sailors and dockworkers have tats. So introducing the kids tats has been a gentle process.

And if you dont like how your tats look as you get older, and your skin sags .. well you can get them removed 🤷‍♀️
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, can be a difficult and expensive process though, that can go wrong. Just pick tattoos that you won't get sick of. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Well like all things .. processes get cheaper with time .. and by the time .. enough time passes .. and your tastes change .. it will also be cheaper ;)

Its looking like a win win :lol:

:LOLS:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Discussion Forum”