PS4 or ps4pro?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

peter
The Gap Into Spam

PS4 or ps4pro?

Post by peter »

Ok - I've done a bit of background research and seem to have decided that a PS4 pro is probably going to be the best choice for my next consul - here's why.

For starters I saw a YouTube video of the ten best exploration games to look forward to this year and was seriously drawn toward a remastering of a 2005 game Shadow of the Colossus which has received critical acclaim both for it's immersive quality and visual appearance. The game has been cited as a top example of game design as an art form and naturally I want to get the best experience I can from the new version released in February. Only available on PlayStation, the question was whether to spring the extra hundred and fifty quid for the pro consul (1 terabyte, 4K and having the option of cinematic or player modes as well as that of selecting a 60 frame per second frame rate if desired) or save money by going for the standard PS4.

The first problem I have is that my 'gaming' telly is a 1080 HD TV rather than a 4K one, so the PS4 pro's 4K capabilities will be of little use on that score - BUT - the cinematic mode can I believe be utilised on a 1080 TV and possibly the higher frame rate as well. I have read also that the pro's higher power just makes games run better and a girl who came in the shop today said that the graphics of the pro are noticeably better. Given that more games are going to be produced with 4K capabilities as time goes on, and sure as fate sooner or later I will need to replace my TV anyway, I seems sensible to go for the best consul I can today and to be prepared for when it happens.

Does this make sense to you guys or am I just chucking money away on a marginal improvement that I will barely notice anyway?

Any advice?

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

I guess it comes down to how much memory you need. If you have the 4k screen its different I spose.
The PS4 is what $150 bucks cheaper than the pro? How much are you willing to pay for a 4k tv?
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Well, I'm not quite at that stage yet Kizza - but when I am I'll spring whatever is necessary to get a half reasonable set. The thing is that I might as well be prepared, consul wise, for the eventuality when it happens. In the meantime there is probably a slight advantage with the pro even on a 1080 telly. This is my thinking anyway.........

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds like you've already sold yourself. ;) And it does make sense really anyway, so might as well go for it.

That's the thing with consoles...because they're not really upgradeable per se, might as well future-proof yourself as much as possible.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

If I could find a second hand one of either type cheaper, I'd go for it- but they seem to be selling at near the price of the new ones anyway. I have always picked up my consuls years behind and cheap as chips, but this time it don't see to be happening, so it looks like I'm going to be forced into buying new. At least there has been time for the bugs that can occasionally be found in newly released consuls to be ironed out! :)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “PC & Console Games”