What do you mean "Not Acceptable"

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

[Syl]
Unfettered One

What do you mean "Not Acceptable"

Post by [Syl] »

Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /phpBB2/posting.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Is there a way I can stop getting this error?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

Esmer
Giantfriend

Re: What do you mean "Not Acceptable"

Post by Esmer »

[Syl] wrote:
Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /phpBB2/posting.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
i've encountered this consistently when trying to copy and paste text from articles, the only clue i've found so far is the presence of a long dash between words that when removed has fixed the problem. other web-centric characters present in the text may also be contributing factors, however this exclusively involves copying and pasting in my admittedly limited experience with this issue.
even God must bend the knee
to the tyrant of eternity
having always been, to always have to be
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well damn. I love the em dash. That's probably it. Guess I'm a -- guy now.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I get that too every once in a while.
As Esmer says it's usually from copying and pasting.
Avatar (I think) suggested pasting it into a Notepad to strip away all the hidden formatting.
Chrome has a "paste as plain text" option that works well too.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Here is a tool that will remove the offending characters and substitute acceptable ones. Much easier than hand-editing posts that trigger this error.

I keep it bookmarked in any browser I use with the Watch.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

The tool that SD linked is awesome. Its worth keeping a page with that link open on your phone or comp or whatever you use.

I tend to no punctuation or have to cut and drop into pteo paranoiaworks .. if its a post with copies and pastes in it.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, usually it's from pasting something from another site into the Watch.

Paste it into the diacritics remover instead, remove the diacritics, and copy and paste to the Watch, and it should work.

Bit of a mission I know.

I'm in intermittent talks with Vain to see if we can make a plan to migrate to a different host or something.

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

[Syl] wrote:
Not Acceptable

BE ADVISED: the above recommendations will USUALLY work---9/10 ish or more. [[SD's link]].

but sometimes nothing will work.
That cure, above, used to always work.
Now, the only way I can fix it occasionally is to type it in by hand from a device other than my computer.
Something deeper/more complicated is starting to interfere...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Avatar wrote:I'm in intermittent talks with Vain to see if we can make a plan to migrate to a different host or something.

--A
Still? How many years has it been? ;)

It's both curly quotes and em dashes that do me in when I try to copypasta (MagickMarker's term :lol: ) from elsewhere on the web.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

:lol: He's sometimes a bit unresponsive. :D

--A
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I've not done much serious testing....just casually noticed that posts seem to work from Chrome on the iPad if I'm opining by typing straight from my brain and without using any bbcode.
But quoting others, or pasting links...that consistently gives me that ugly 404 error.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Vraith wrote:BE ADVISED: the above recommendations will USUALLY work---9/10 ish or more. [[SD's link]].

but sometimes nothing will work.

[...]
Sometimes, cut-&-paste excerpts will have invisible characters. Diacritics Removers do not seem to excise these tenacious critters. They have to be tracked-down with eccentric means and terminated with extreme prejudice.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

In case someone has a need for some of those eccentric means after a diacritics remover, I tend to gradually copypaste pieces of the text to trace a place with the problematic character, then remove/replace manually. Not sure if it's most efficient, but at least tends to be faster than retyping everything. Or can someone suggest something better, please?
A role-player, beware
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh geez Effy that sounds like a real chore.

I have the diacritics page open all the time now. However, if I omit all punctuation I generally have no problem.

I have via incremental experience learned that - * ? seem to be unaffected.

But exclamation marks, apostrophes, dollar signs are problematic.

Now I use my iPhone and it might be different depending on the device you use.

So if its just annoying I simply wont use punctuation or symbols at all 😣

When I first returned I had the dickens own problems with posting and got mightily frustrated till I got the diacritics remover.

Good luck and GREAT TO SEE YOU ♥️🥰😘♥️🥰😘♥️🥰😘
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Almost always comes from copying and pasting a quote from somewhere.

If you type everything in your post out, and it still doesn't work, try clicking the "reply" button, instead of using the quick-reply box.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Effaeldm wrote:In case someone has a need for some of those eccentric means after a diacritics remover, I tend to gradually copypaste pieces of the text to trace a place with the problematic character, then remove/replace manually. Not sure if it's most efficient, but at least tends to be faster than retyping everything. Or can someone suggest something better, please?
I regret not noticing this post sooner, Effy! I hope the following will be helpful to you:

I find that the characters that most likely prevent a post from being successfully submitted tend to be either quotation marks, apostrophes, comma, or hyphens brought in from outside text sources. S

Sometimes re-typing these particular punctuation marks can be more time-efficient than trying to test submission of copy-pasted pieces of text.

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”