Jojo Rabbit (2019)

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Loved loved loved this movie.
I had no idea what it was about other than my son said the trailers looked funny.
Another movie that is tough to describe, for me anyway.
Quirky, like Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom.

The characters are all outstanding.
Archie Yates as "Yorki" only has a small part but is adorable and funny.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

So glad to hear it emphatically liked. That pretty much seals it for me. I'll have to see it. It looks nutty, and with Taika Waititi helming it, I knew it would be worth a look-see. But it has been getting such negative reviews that I thought it might be something that looks good on the surface, but the rest sucks. The trailers have been amazing, and the kind of thing that is right up my alley. So yeah, I'll be seeing it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Certainly a 'Marmite' film (you either love it or you hate it) for me Taika Waititi's surreal look at a ten year old boy's experience of growing up in Nazi Germany absolutely hit the spot. The director who gave us What We Do in the Shadows has once again given his signature quirky take on a traditional trope (if you can describe the standard representations of the abominable Third Reich as a trope) by giving us a trippingly light hearted spin into the period - until it suddenly isn't.

The ten year old is admirably portrayed by the prodigiously talented Roman Griffin Davis, with excellent support from Sam Rockwell as a cynical failed officer in the army and a truly outstanding performance by Scarlett Johansson as the boys mother. The story rattles along nicely with much of the attention being on the lad's inner demons (graphically externalised by the director himself playing an 'imaginary friend' who just happens to take the form of an avuncular Adolph Hitler) until the external world catches up with him and things start to take a darker turn.

I can't promise that you will be one of the ones for whom this little fable will work, but if you are then rest assured, the payoff for your time will be large indeed!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”