Annular Solar Eclipse; 21 June 2020

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Annular Solar Eclipse; 21 June 2020

Post by peter »

This unique phenomenon in which the moons distance is such that it just fails to lie completely over the sun's disk, leaving a golden ring visible to the observer, is due to occur at 07.40 BST on the above date. It is visible across a large swathe of Africa and Asia (get up there to see it Av - c'mon man, you can do it! ;) ) but for the rest of us it can still be viewed in real time as it unfolds on the Time and Date website which is running a live stream of the event as it occurs.

I've been fortunate enough to experience a total eclipse (at the turn of the millennium) and am quite excited to be able to view this one even remotely.

Hope some of you might join me on the day: I'll be posting as it occurs (insha'Allah) and look forward to hopefully having a bit of company while I do so. If you are interested check out the website which has a timeline of what is happening when.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, that's a bit far north for my taste. :D Also, closed borders etc. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: Yes, of course Av - for a moment there I was forgetting..........
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah look, let's be honest...even if they weren't closed I'm not going to trek up Africa to watch a solar eclipse. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm waiting for the 'singularity' as I post at 06.50 - should occur around 07.50. It's not singularity in the sense that the sun is fully covered, but the 'gold ring' effect should be worth seeing.

Just being able to say "treck up through Africa" as a possibility of something that you can choose to do or otherwise is so romantic Av (for want of a better word). I'm guessing your feeling on it is maybe like mine in respect to Cornish beaches - they don't interest me much (certainly not enough to visit one in the summer) other than when there is a reason to go and see something on one (and even then pretty little). Having said that I love to see the waves crashing in on them in rough weather so as part of the overall coastline I guess I do quite appreciate them.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Loresraat”