Covenant - the Game!

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Covenant - the Game!

Post by peter »

Lying in the bath yesterday, and thinking about games, it struck me that The Chrons are almost perfectly structured for a huge open-world game in which the protagonist takes the role of TC thrown into a land of which he knows and understands nothing and forced to survive therein. From his first struggle down from Kevin's Watch to his journey, via Revelstone to his final confrontation with Foul, the whole thing is organised almost perfectly for transference across into a game (far more so than a film), not least because of the opportunity for open-world exploration it brings. This and the diversity of set-piece settings, the range of different types (haruchai, waynhim, ur-vile etc etc) and the sheer sprawling openness and diversity of the map (think Andelain, Landsdrop, Coercri etc etc) make it simply perfect.

I'll never live to see it done - it would be a massive undertaking - but it would be the final icing on the cake for the first Chrons legacy, to see it turned into a full first-person experience in which one could loose oneself in the beauty and terror of the Land - for real!

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, I remember that...wasn't it Antgear?

A modern WoW-style game would be quite awesome. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Did that game incorporate the Chrons story or was it purely using the Land as a location for essentially sword and sorcery treasure hunting?

I must admit, I was thinking of something a bit more visually up to speed in respect of the graphics (but of course I should have thought that somewhere someone would have spotted the potential for a game, nothing new under the sun and all ;) )

One problem that does occur to me is how you imply the sense-blending of the novels graphically. You have in some way, to fuse the barren openness of Death Stranding with a sort of hyper-bright tinge of The Witcher. Done subtly and sparingly it could be very effective.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

peter wrote:Did that game incorporate the Chrons story or was it purely using the Land as a location for essentially sword and sorcery treasure hunting?
I honestly don't know, as I have never really played it for long. But I think it lies somewhere in the middle of these two poles.
peter wrote:I must admit, I was thinking of something a bit more visually up to speed in respect of the graphics
That was "up to speed" - for it's day! There're lots of games from this period (and others) called "Rogue-like" because ... everyone loved Rogue.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: I was never into games before at least a fairly high level of graphic realism had been achieved (the Sega Dreamcast was my first consul and I've never played on a computer). I think I've missed out on some of the best games thereby. I'd love to play the early Elder Scrolls games and the like - they are said to be very high standard gaming indeed.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Indeed, but with appalling graphics by today's standards. :D

Usually I'm not a graphics snob, but even Oblivion is pretty bad looking. :D (Now.)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not remastering Oblivion for the PS4 (or even remaking Morrowind) was, I think, a big commercial blunder for Bethesda. The audience was in situ, ready to spend money, and the projects could have been done (I'd think) relatively easily alongside other bigger game builds. There's a real risk that by the time ES6 appears a good proportion of the target audience will be dead or moved on. Releasing the earlier games in upgraded form would have helped allay this risk.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Possibly, but also despite it seeming easy to "re-do" a game, it presents significant challenges in itself if it is to be any good. I would probably play them if they did, but it may not have been practical for them.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes, I figured that there are probably sound commercial reasons for why they haven't done this: but judging on what I hear in some of the YouTube vids I come across, it doesn't seem as if what they have been doing has been up to speed in this respect either. Let's hope that ES6 (if it ever gets made) is sufficiently good to revive their fortunes. I could never do anything but wish them well as the company that gave us all Skyrim and Fallout 4.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Play New Vegas instead. :D

Cheap now with all the expansions, can def get it for like a fiver on sale. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Have to dig out the old 360 - not too hard, but wires and stuff..... never been my forte!

;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Avatar wrote:Play New Vegas instead. :D

Cheap now with all the expansions, can def get it for like a fiver on sale. :D

--A
When in doubt as to what game to play, always choose New Vegas.

I did not have The Land game back in college...but my girlfriend at the time did. We still see each other regularly for dinner--yes, only dinner, so get your mind out of the gutter--and I helped her recently pawn off some old MtG cards she had lying around, including a Mox Jet--she had no idea she could sell it for $1500.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Happy girl I'd imagine!

:D

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “PC & Console Games”