Your COVID-19 experience

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

StevieG
Andelanian

Your COVID-19 experience

Post by StevieG »

Following some posts in another thread, here is an opportunity to tell your personal COVID story if you wish. It has affected us all, and instead of the usual Tank rubbish (eg. single words separated by full stops such as "It. Is. Not. That. Big. A. Deal" or "Violation. Of. Rights") it would be good to hear people's personal experiences of the situation in their neck of the woods.

For me, personally, I live on an Island State in Australia, and (touch wood, or "knock on wood" I believe is the US expression :D) we have been very lucky in general.

During the first lockdown, I was able to continue to go into the office since the whole building was completely deserted, some cafes were still open (as a window in the wall type of thing with take-aways only) and I had enough work to go on with during the lockdown period. Apart from a bit of a spike in the NW of our State, we were lucky enough to get it under control by around June, and so far life has been relatively normal since then.

I have had one COVID test personally when I picked up a cold from my family - my daughter had a cold first, followed by a test,, then my son picked it up and had a test, then my wife (followed by a test) and finally me. Fortunately they all came back negative.

Our State is taking things seriously, and I've never used so much hand sanitiser in my life. People comply as required, and get on with things. I'm not sure if this is a cultural thing... In a neighbouring State, Victoria, there was a second wave, and they have only just come out of restrictions now. At their worst, they were recording around 700 new cases a day, which is as bad as it has gotten for us in the land of Oz. Overall, Australia has had just under 28,000 cases, around 20,000 of which were in Victoria. I feel for the US community that have been hitting 150,000 to 200,000 cases a day recently - it must feel unstoppable. I guess a vaccine is the only possible hope?

Feel free to share your story.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Oy. Dam-sel, Menolly, and I live a few miles from the hospital where the first US deaths occurred in late February. Since they are both cancer survivors (Menolly three times over) and I am an old diabetic, we've taken it seriously since then...and, touch wood, we've remained uninfected.

Nor were we unprepared. Dam-et's leukemia back in 2013 left us with a considerable backstock of hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes. Nine months of solid use and we still haven't had to rebuy.

While the response from the national government and from many states and localities has been disappointing / disastrous, Washington (the west coast state, not the federal district) has managed well...but is still facing growing infection, hospitalization, and mortality numbers.

The next few weeks could be really bad if folks ignore prudent counsel and hold holiday gatherings or shop en masse.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wow, must have been quite a stock. :D

Hasn't really affected me at all per se, (apart from the recent diagnosis of a chunk of the GF's family as per the other thread). (Which also is not really affecting me personally, they live 100's of km away.)

We actually started working remotely a week before the official lock-down (which is technically still in effect at a low level) since we'd had a potential exposure amongst office staff, and nothing else really changed.

Not really big on going out much at the best of times, so can't say it's been much hardship, and have been lucky enough that work continued sufficiently that we didn't have to let anybody go, or cut anybody's pay or anything. (No increase or bonus this year though, but just glad to be still getting my full salary.)

Relatively speaking, the country hasn't been too hard hit by the actual virus, (possibly aided by one of the most draconian lock-downs in the world) but the economy took a real beating for the same reason.

Cases have been hovering around 1,000 a day, but have been seeing a bit of an increase in the last couple weeks, which may continue.

While shops etc. and many people comply with regs, massive fatigue and of course the difficulties inherent in doing so under extreme poverty etc. will, I suspect, lead to a proper 2nd wave...

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Well when I was at work my unit picked up all the Covid positive inmates. We shut the unit down for a long time. So extra work for us.
Kept up protocols to ensure I stayed safe.

No one in either of our families caught Covid.

A couple friends did. One passed away recently.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Not sure positively if my wife had COVID experience. She has been ill for several weeks. When she took the rapid test it came back negative. That was back in Mid October.

They gave her some medications predinosine, told her to use her rescue inhaler or nebulizer as needed (she had both from prior health issues). forward a couple weeks had to go in urgent care again. They gave her a full COVID nasal swab - negative again. But Doctor said since it was past two weeks since possible initial onset they could not rule out COVID as origin. [FYI the rapid COVID test is not super accurate] This last time the Doctor discovered pneumonia and prescribed anti bacterial drugs and predinosone again.

She has been taking nebulizer, resue inhaler, steaming, OTC drugs, predinisone, anti bacterial, Allegra, Flonase in varying combinations for weeks. Yesterday she went in again. The doctor this time did not fine pneumonia but said its effects could last weeks. Told her to keep taking rescue inhaler, nebulizer, Allegra, Flonase, and OTC drugs. Not much more then can do right now. But gave her strict orders to rest more (she is stubborn and when she feels even a little better tries to do too much)

Personally I have been working from home since mid-March. We have had to perform some additional accounting tasks relating to COVID but nothing too horrible. I have had no symptoms except mild cold. I was never tested since my symptoms never rose to that level.

But as a precuation for wife trying to get deliveries instead of shopping or curbside pickup or shop early/off hours with masks and scoial distancing, hand washing, sanitizer etc.

My work get interesting this week they almost had me go in to do non-accounting tasks because the nursing and other staff was on strike. I told them I had exposure to viral pneumonia and so at the moment still working from home. The other accountants eventually relieved themselves of working from the nursing home facilities because of safety, personal decisions.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

So far we're still healthy. We are a bit more paranoid than seems to be the average, and I can't say that this hasn't helped.

I was unemployed for the first time in my career, laid off due to precipitous loss of revenue where I had worked. So that's one thing. I'm back at work somewhere else, and let me tell you, joining a new company while everyone is only on Zoom is a real challenge. At least I have health insurance. So that's another thing.

I have two daughters in college, and college is basically shut down in favor of remote learning. For my daughter, who was robbed of a prom and robbed of a HS graduation and robbed of a GS Gold Award ceremony in Boston, she was robbed of the entire freshman experience. This has been extremely traumatic in a very literal sense. It's damn hard to make new friends in college when you're not in college. So that's some more. My other daughter is expecting to graduate this spring and so I anticipate that will be another letdown. So that's even more.

I'm now at home with a wife and two grown daughters ALL DAY EVERY DAY. You can only imagine! So: more.

I have friends whose entire family got the virus. They're okay now ... mostly.

Another friend, her father passed away recently (not covid). There was only a sketch of a funeral, and I can tell that that hit a bit hard.

I won't see the experience has been ALL bad. My commute time is greatly reduced. We got to see the true nature of some important people in time to do something about it. And I wear PJ bottoms to work.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Warning **this link is sombering and sad** article about several ICU nurses with treating COVID.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-s ... ocid=ientp
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

I kind of hate to say it, but I hardly notice it. I'm not very social, and I already work from home. There's the mask and the holidays at home, but that's about it.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

samrw3 wrote:Warning **this link is sombering and sad** article about several ICU nurses with treating COVID.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-s ... ocid=ientp
That's pretty intense, and real. Thanks for sending through.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I thought we had it last month as we were both sick for a couple of weeks but our tests came back negative.

At the same time my brother, who I haven't seen for a couple of months, did test positive and had to spend two weeks living in his garage. For him it was like a cold with nasty congestion. That was the second time he had to spend a couple of weeks out there. This summer he had to isolate from his family as his daughters went to a party where one of their friends had taken the test but went to the event without getting the result. Of course, she was positive. My in-laws and several of my wife's family have also had it. One is a nurse at a hospital in Montana and had been treating covid patients for months. She came down with it about a week before Thanksgiving. I heard today that she will be able to go back to work next week.

Post by Avatar »

Khaliban wrote:I kind of hate to say it, but I hardly notice it. I'm not very social, and I already work from home. There's the mask and the holidays at home, but that's about it.
Yeah, same, I'm not hating having it as an excuse not to go places etc. :D

Working from home is wearing a bit thin, but when we do go back it'll be very different, no more 9-5 equivalent, will more be a place we can meet / collaborate on our own schedule more than anything else. No more morning rush hour etc.

And that probably won't be for another 4-6 months anyway...

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(I'm not sobbing over it, but) What I think I miss most is going out on Sunday morning with the family for eggs and coffee at the local diner, taking our time, talking about stuff, and the refills are never late.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

My family and I have been fortunate thus far, but we've been careful to wear masks, observe hygiene, etc.

At my practice site, I was based on the pulmonary floor, and it also has a 12 bed step down unit, so I've taken care of a few hundred mild-mod COVID patients. Dispensed more doses of dexamethasone and remdesivir than I can count. I think dexameth helps; I don't think remdesivir does. My $0.02.

Last month, the emergence department pharmacist retired, and I've moved down there. Seeing the full range of COVID severity now, have been in the rooms when a few were intubated or arrested.

Double masking with a standard mask and an N95 is tough, and adding the face shield brings additional challenge to me due to the light glare. I constantly have to mentally reassure myself that I'm not going to smother wearing 2 masks, and to speak in short sentences so the conversational dyspnea doesn't get really uncomfortable, etc. I've also had to develop a new habit, a little like the instruction on an airplane when the attendant explains to put on the oxygen mask first and secure it, then help others. I'm used to barreling into a room to start med prep when a patient arrests; now, I have to double mask, garb first.

I'm looking forward to giving the vaccinations. I've volunteered to travel anywhere in East Tennessee to assisted living facilities to support efforts to vaccinate those patients. I'm also on standby if a decision is made to set up remote hospitals in the Knoxville area. I don't know precisely what is going to happen or what all the solutions are going to be, but I know that I want to be part of them.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That's good info, dlb! Glad to hear from someone in the field. A new nurse at my job said she worked pretty much in the thick of it with one doctor. She said huge doses of vitamin C helped, too. Is it possible that something as simple as that can actually have noticeable effects? I've always heard that Americans have the most expensive pee in the world, because we take more vitamins than we can use, it the extra just goes right through us.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thank you, dlb.

Post by Avatar »

Good to hear from you DLB.

--A
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

This will be pretty lengthy - please allow me to type this all out. I have just had a close experience with COVID.

My mother lives in Tucson Arizona and contracted COVID. She is 84. Here is my journal typing out the experience from a distance (I live near Chicago Illinois)

December 25th - My Dad called at 2:06PM saying Mom probably won't make it. He was crying and upset. He has been with her for 60 years. She is in a small hospital because of COVID/ Her vitals dropped rapidly from yesterday until this morning. She has not be coherent recently and especially the 24th and 25th. Her kidneys are failing. She has pneumonia and not eaten in a week.

My sister Robin called to make sure we knew and we wisher her well and our sorrow. Robin is going with my brother Glenn and sister Kathy to say goodbyes. We are hoping they allow a phone in the room but not sure with COVID.

I called my Dad at 6:15PM He is still crying and upset. He was not able to go to hospital because he was on quarantine. Robin, Glenn and Kathy were outside his house trying to comfort him. They were outside because of his quarantine. When I was talking to them found out they only allowed Kathy to see my Mom. She dressed in COVID gear and was only allowed a c few minutes. Mom is waiting to be transferred to another hospital - right now she is on emergency side.

I called my Dad at 9:35pm. He said Mom is still waiting for another hospital. My Dad said he loved me. That was deeply moving experience for me because my Dad is not emotional person and does not readily state his emotions.

December 26th. Called hospital. They have Mom on oxygen mask. She knew her name and her birthday. This is improvement from the other day. They don't know her prognosis at this point. However, nurse said oxygen levels are low. If her oxygen mask was to be removed at this point they said she would die within minutes. The nurse put the phone to her ear so I could talk to my Mom. My wife and I said that we loved her. We told her we were praying. My Mom said she loved me and was really trying to talk but it was garbled and I could not understand it. I think I heard her say that she didn't want to die. The nurse said all they have made out before my phone call was that she wanted to go home.

December 27th. My Dad called at 10:20AM and said they finally have Mom on hospital side. It took a long time because COVD is really bad in Arizona. The doctor said there is three critical things. First oxygen levels are critically low. If they removed mask she would only survive minutes. Second her kidneys are failing but they were able to stabilize that to some degree. Third her sodium levels are off the charts. They were able to get that down and is more stable now. No definitive prognosis yet but warned him to get everything in order for her passing. My take was they were trying to be gentle and realistic at the same time.

Dad called at 4PM said he saw Mom through window. They would not let him in room because of his quarantine. She is resting comfortable most likely because they have her sedated.

December 28th. Dad called at 5:27 AM saying Mom does not have much longer. Robin is coming to get him.

Dad called at 6:40AM to let me talk to Mom. I told her I loved her and that she was going to a good place. I know she will look down on me. Thanked her for being a good Mom and everything she did. I told he I hope she doesn't suffer and go in peace and love. Glenn, Robin and Kathy all said their goodbyes [in person - they all live in Tucson]. My Dad got phone back and said doctor will be there shortly.

Robin called at 2:50PM to say Mom is fighting death. Glenn called at 2:55PM said Mom is back on oxygen mask - she was on ventilator this morning. They are holding her hand and rubbing her forehead. He said that she is fighting. They are all telling her its ok to pass on.

At 5:40PM I talked to Glenn and asked if I should tell Mom its ok to pass on. He put his phone to her ear. I told my mom I will not be able to be there. I love her but that I want her to pass on that it was ok and to go peacefully. [FYI for those that may not know this is common hospitals to ask family members to ask dying person to pass on - that is ok - sometimes they holding on feeling unsettled about passing on]

At 8:15PM they left the hospital. Moms numbers have improved and is stable. They are all going back in the morning.

At 10PM Glenn took Dad to ER because of high blood pressure. Glenn stayed by mom a little bit again. Her oxygen saturation is at 80 [not good]. Talking about hospice options. At 11:30PM Glenn took Dad home blood pressure stabilized on its own.

December 29th Glenn called at Noon and said Mom is just on oxygen tubes they are going to transfer her to hospice in the afternoon.

Robin, Glenn, Kathy my Dad by Mom again for awhile.

Around 4PM they transferred Mom to a hospice.

December 30th I tried to contact hospice around 11AM could not get hold of nursing staff.

Robin texted me at 12:25 to say Mom finally passed.

Dad called at 12:38 to say Mom passed and is calling others.

I called my Dad at 5PM to check on him and tell him I was sorry about Mom. He seemed crying but ok. Glenn, Robin and Kathy are by him. Dad said funeral would not be for about 10 days because funeral homes are backed up due to COVID.

I Called my Dad at 8:47PM to check on him again. He seemed a little better. I asked him if there was anything I could help with or anything he needed. He said he would let me know but nothing at moment.

Goodbye Mom. I love you and miss you. you were so loving and patient and dedicated. You were an angel on this earth and I will forever be grateful for the life you lead and try to hold you love and spirit and goodness as my example.

Stupid COVID. 2020. Worst. Year. Ever

Thanks for letting me share
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

:sob:

Condolences on your loss.

|G
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Post by Avatar »

Ah, so sorry to hear it Samrw3.

I hope that you can take some solace in the fact that, for her, all troubles, all worries and fears and pain, are over.

Thinking of you man.

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Really sorry to hear Sam. Thinking of you and all the others who have lost people during this time.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “General Discussion Forum”