Bitcoin or other Crypto? Anyone into it?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Bitcoin or other Crypto? Anyone into it?

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I just bought some Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Just a couple of hundred worth to see what it's all about.

I'm using Coinbase to manage it all.
It has a nice interface.
It's been an hour and I've already made $3.26 :D

Any tips?
Any horror stories?

Seems a lot like penny stocks to me.
But what the hell, I'm in.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nah, never got into it. Let us know how it goes. :D You mining or just speculating? :D

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

HLT, I use coinbase and Robinhood.
I bought dogecoin early last year when it was at .003 and ended up with about 25,000 doge. I didn't think at the time anything would come of it but when the price jumped above .10 I made a healthy profit. Of course now I wish I had held onto it a bit longer since it has continued to rise to a peak of .69 a week ago.
I have a small amount of Bitcoin and have bought other crypto as speculative investment. The next target is Safemoon which is still hard to get and requires a number of steps and apps to buy.
So far for me crypto has been a fun and positive investment experience.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My daughter just had a cryptocurrency assignment in her economics class. She didn't understand it, and I tried to help her. That's some confusing assignment she had!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien

Fist, yeah I'm trying to explain what crypto is to my wife. I get a few sentences in and then I don't understand it anymore either.

Tom, I'll have to check out Safemoon.

Also, literally 24 hours after I got into this whole thing the market tanked. and Elon Musk came out against Bitcoin :lol:

I'm the kiss of death.

(It came mostly back up since then btw)

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I sort of get it, but as I understand it the trick is to get into mining a new currency in its early days. With bitcoin I think it might be a bit late in the day; the cost of the currency itself is too high for it to be a viable investment option for most people, and the possibility of loosing value (when for instance someone like Musk publicly dumps their coin, too high). Mining activity in the early days of an emergent currency seems to be potentially profitable (if I have it right, you are 'solving' the encryption codes for each transaction in so doing, for which you are paid in the currency). If you hit it right, the currency you are mining can skyrocket in value, like to the tune of thousands of times, in which case you hit serious paydirt. What I don't get is why mining is such an energy consuming business (the reason Musk apparently pulled his investment - I bet there was more to it, like he was shorting his own stock or something)? Apparently it is a seriously non-green activity, which renders crypto as a questionable form of investment to be entering at this particular time.

But with the major economies printing money like there is no tomorrow and borrowing across the world up into the gazillions a period of hyperinflation and currency collapse is almost inevitable in short order and as a safe(er) harbor to protect against this, even the risks of cryptocurrency may be worth a punt.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: Bitcoin or other Crypto? Anyone into it?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

HLT wrote:Bitcoin or other Crypto? Anyone into it?
Woah, it's so funny that you ask that just now... just this weekend, I became FASCINATED with a type of NFT ("Non-Fungible Token" - a kind of Virtual asset!) that one typically buys just with cryptocurrency.

I'm so obsessed/curious in fact, I've been having dreams that feature cryptocurrency! ("what have u been dreaming lately?" thread.)
...including a dream that was literally about posting on this thread. :lol:
(gahhh - maybe that's more about me missing the Watch than about Bitcoin!!)

Weird thing is, I still don't get it...
...cryptocurrency is like this word that's a label for something...
...but what the heck it actually is, I still haven't quite wrapped my head around.
(Fist, I'm with you!)

About that...
i was talking to some total geek peeps who -have- done some research and I -think- are more clued-in about this than I am.
I confessed my ignorance, and one was like, "well. you could read the original Whitepaper. By Satoshi Nakamoto."
I searched up the website, thought about it...
...and now I've put a hold on a library book that's like "Cryptocurrency for Dummies."
<sigh>
(Hilariously, the author seems to be listed by a one-word internet handle?)

Also, is anyone else FASCINATED by the backstory with Satoshi putting the idea out into the world and then "going dark"? Intriguing.
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Seems a lot like penny stocks to me.
But what the hell, I'm in.
Booyah!
Rocket... to ...the moon, baby?
(*sniff* :cry: )

Rigel and and I JemCheeta had a fun convo. about like, "wut is up with cryptocurrency mining, ETC.?" recently!

So yeah, I'm mostly interested in it from a "analyze what on EARTH is happening with this new technology and how it's impacting the world" perspective than "I'm planning to get skin in the game" perspective. :biggrin:

ALSO!
aTOMic wrote:I bought dogecoin
Atomic, this is sooooo you! :lol:
lol, dogecoin. you bought dogecoin.
anyway, more seriously, (b/c money is a very serious topic, rite?) 0.003 --> 0.10 --> 0.69 ...woahhhh.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Crypto in a nutshell:
Imagine we go back to the gold standard except there's not any actual gold and, just for kicks, we make it so computationally intensive to send a payment that you have to burn a gallon of oil every time you do.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Seems reasonable enough ... but Ive always held the belief that it is a get rich quick initiative that in reality delivers at best modest reward.

More power to you all who give it a crack ..

I have limited resources and am not interested in investing in financial risk. If I had bags of money .. then maybe Id be more keen ..

I tend to think if it sounds too good to be true, and looks too good to be true .. the probability IS likely too good to be true
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Plus I got irritated by the bitcoin proselyters on social media and calling .. to sell me a windfall that Ill regret not taking.

That turns me off cold.

My son however, has had some small success with his investments in bitcoin/cryptocurrency but only after a short loss.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Bitcoin bubble bursts overnight, dragging down stocks

The title is a little misleading; while there was an overnight drop, it's really just down quite a bit over the last few weeks.

This brings us to one of the main problems of crypto: stability. With massive fluctuations in price like this, you can't hold it for any length of time.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Precisely why I’m not keen to invest what little coin I have in an unstable market.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Bitcoin yoyos wildly dipping 30% in one single day - opportunity or cause for fiscal caution?

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/ni ... ning-point
Meanwhile, bitcoin’s usefulness as a currency evaporates if the price can yo-yo wildly within a single day. And, in the background, there’s the worry that central banks simply won’t allow their monetary systems to be usurped by free-wheeling anonymous payments systems, a point China would seem to have confirmed. Even if the underlying blockchain technology is brilliant, regulators matter.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
High Lord Tolkien

Skyweir wrote:Bitcoin yoyos wildly dipping 30% in one single day - opportunity or cause for fiscal caution?

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/ni ... ning-point
Meanwhile, bitcoin’s usefulness as a currency evaporates if the price can yo-yo wildly within a single day. And, in the background, there’s the worry that central banks simply won’t allow their monetary systems to be usurped by free-wheeling anonymous payments systems, a point China would seem to have confirmed. Even if the underlying blockchain technology is brilliant, regulators matter.
The fact that China was against bitcoin was one of the reasons it appealed to me so much.
It was out of their control.

Image Image Image Image
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

The party-poopers turned out to be Elon Musk and the People’s Bank of China, an unlikely combination.

The former said in February he’d take payment for Teslas in bitcoins, then changed his mind last week and worried (correctly) about the hideous carbon footprint left by miners of the cryptocurrency.

The latter on Wednesday told banks and other financial institutions not to accept digital coins, saying they are not “real currency”.
Really, though, the prod could have come from anywhere.

The challenge in viewing a cryptocurrency as an “asset” or “hedge against inflation” is that there’s no internal income, or rate of return, to use as a valuation yardstick.

That is also true of gold, the crypto crew’s preferred comparator, but gold has been prized as a store of value for a few thousand years, which is a critical difference. In the longevity stakes, strings of computer code are barely out of the blocks.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I believe that anyone investing large amounts of their cash into crypto as a long term investment is asking for trouble.
Anyone dropping a few bucks into crypto as a speculative hobby investment may be in for a lot of fun provided they accept that they could lose it all.
I've had a blast but I only invested pocket change.
At that level it's all good
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

100% right Tom 👌 my hubs is a hobby investor too and it is literally for fun with pocket change lol 😂 I guess it’s akin to gambling, but not 🤷‍♀️
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Well Elon apparently changed his mind when informed of the environmental cost.

According to Ars, the carbon footprint of a Model 3's worth of bitcoin is 400 metric tonnes, while the footprint of the car itself (including both manufacture and expected use over its lifetime) is only 8.9 metric tonnes.

That's quite a carbon premium to pay.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

wow it sure is
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:What I don't get is why mining is such an energy consuming business (the reason Musk apparently pulled his investment - I bet there was more to it, like he was shorting his own stock or something)? Apparently it is a seriously non-green activity, which renders crypto as a questionable form of investment to be entering at this particular time.
Electricity Peter. It uses a lot of electricity.
High Lord Tolkien wrote:The fact that China was against bitcoin was one of the reasons it appealed to me so much.
It was out of their control.
Eh...only nominally. It's all very well to have "unregulated" currencies but it's only a matter of time before governments decide to regulate them. I think here they're about to make them taxable, didn't pay much attention.

As for other NFT stuff, it's just fashionable right now. Maybe when we all move permanently into VR it'll be different, but I suspect right now its just a geek cachet. ;)

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”