Quora

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Quora

Post by peter »

Just a quick question; is anyone here a member of, or a user of the website Quora?

It's apparently a website designed for the asking and answering of questions, in which a ranking system is used to place answers to posted questions in order of popularity (?), presumably such that the best answers (hopefully the most accurate) rise up the rankings to the positions where people will see them.

Sounds interesting, but I'm always cautious about downloading apps to my tablet that I have no recommendation for, hence this posting.

Any observations would be gratefully received.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm not a member, nor a regular user, but I've "used" it in that it sometimes pops up in my search results with mixed usefulness.

Don't know anything about the app...don't think it's necessarily necessary since you can just go to the site to use it. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes, I thought so Av, but my search only seemed to throw up the app as a means of getting in. I'll give it another try and dig a bit deeper.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I visit Quora once in awhile and am at a loss to describe it, really. It's definitely an internet black hole. There's a lot of "advice sought" ("My boyfriend does heroin and got my best friend pregnant, should I leave?") but some really amazing stories about people whose lives were saved or changed through human kindness, or who had incredible adventures... the algorithm seems to kick these to the top of the pile (somewhat like Reddit, the other internet black hole).
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:Yes, I thought so Av, but my search only seemed to throw up the app as a means of getting in. I'll give it another try and dig a bit deeper.
Well, must say I've only ever arrived their via a search result which links to a specific question. Going to www.quora.com it seems you need to create an account (or log in via FB or Google) to access it otherwise.

--A
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Late to the party, but I only go to quora if a google result directs me there. Sometimes it’s useful, sometimes not.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Damelon wrote:Late to the party, but I only go to quora if a google result directs me there. Sometimes it’s useful, sometimes not.
Same.

I have a friend who posts there a bit and sometimes shares his responses on his Facebook feed, so I've been there by way of that, too.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “General Discussion Forum”