Fallout!

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Fallout!

Post by peter »

Oy yes!

At last the long awaited Amazon Prime series is about to rock up on our screens, and I for one am virtually gibbering in anticipation.

I have a million questions. Will the story of Fallout 4 be incorporated? Will Dogmeat be in it? (I think so, by the way.) Will it go right back to the beginning, or will it start from scratch with a new vault opening up and a new self-contained story?

Anybody else out there waiting on this one?

I've watched Episode 0 on Amazon about a dozen times now, and am liking the female protagonist and the ghoul that feature in it. I think that the latter might be the detective from Fallout 4 but can't quite remember the details about him well enough to be sure. The sets look spectacular and the Brotherhood scenes particularly exciting. I hope Diamond City is in there somewhere.

Oh man, Oh man. Can't wait!

:D

(Started re-watching The Last of Us in anticipation, and realise how much it has got to live up to. TLOU is something special.)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Fallout!

Post by Avatar »

So, the GF is busy watching this even as I write, having started the series last night. My effective inability to prevent myself from explaining the surroundings and back-story makes it impossible for me to watch with her really. :D (She knows nothing about the games.)

Have caught a bit here and there in passing, looks like a new vault / story, usual "searching for my father" Fallout thing. Seems to be set in if not specifically the Mojave Wasteland, then at least in the NCR. There is a dog, but I have not yet established whether it is Dogmeat or not, although it seems likely, (it's an Alsatian of course).

Actually pretty impressed from what I've seen. Sets / props are spot on, Fallout humour present, canon seems mostly (not entirely) accurate, and being a new story, there's no "they left xyz out."

As far as screen adaptations go, this may be one of the best of any genre, let alone the game genre.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Fallout!

Post by peter »

Saw the first episode and enjoyed it.

As Av says, seems like a pretty basic Fallout story, with good replication of the vault interiors, and in particular the exit station (yellow handrails and all).

I'm liking the way the Brotherhood is presented; I didn't join that faction in the game, so don't know if the almost religious ethos depicted here was portrayed to quite the same extent there, but it certainly works in the TV setting.

I'm a little less convinced by the ghoul scenes as yet, but time may alter this (and in fairness, I really enjoyed the initial prewar scenes in which a ghoul precursor was shown performing at a kids party).

Not damning it with faint praise, but not completely captivated as yet.

In comparison, I'd say that the other big post apocalyptic series, albeit apocalyptic of a different type, The Last of Us, was a stronger starter, but in fairness it was a different type of game in terms of its feel. The makers of Fallout have really done a fine job in capturing the slightly cartoony cinematography (is that what you call the way a show/film looks) of the games - that slightly odd colouring and appearance of the scenes and objects. Very effective.

Overall say 7/10 with expectations of its getting better.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Fallout!

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't know anything about the game at all. But I'm gonna give it a shot. My son knows the game, and said he heard a lot of things about the show that made him not want to watch it. But then he also heard a lot of fans saying it was good regardless, so he's going to try too.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Fallout!

Post by peter »

I'm second show in now and as I hoped, it's finding its groove a bit.

The young female protagonist is a bit squeaky clean for my taste (even though I accept she's fresh out of the vault and is supposed to be), but I dare say I'll get used to her.

I do like the way that they are including little nods to the games tins of 'Cram', water bottles with the same design as those of Fallout 4, and the same pictures on the walls of ruined houses that you could use in your home and settlement building exercises.

The gore element is ramped up to 150 percent and the language is pretty adult, but again this is iirc, pretty in line with the games.

I'm certainly down for the series and hoping for a fun ride along the way.

:biggrin:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Fallout!

Post by peter »

3rd episode in and still a bit undecided.

The girl lead is not quite heavyweight enough for me - she's just not convincing as someone who could survive even for the brief period she has been out. I'm staying with it, but this isn't The Last of Us, and there's no point in pretending that it is.

One point of interest; in episode 1 the dog was spoken to by the character who raised it as "Good girl!, so I assumed that it couldn't be Dogmeat, who was always refered to as "Good boy", in Fallout 4. I thought, "Ah - this must be Dogmeat's mother or something, but in episode 3 the same dog is referred to as a 'he' (as in, "He isn't my dog,").

So what's going on here?

Obviously deliberate, so we are being kept guessing. Dogmeat has always been dear to my heart, and so this is a mystery that I need to get sorted out. When it is resolved - don't worry.....I won't tell you!

:D

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “TV Shows”