You realize the world is diminishing when...

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Xar
Lord

You realize the world is diminishing when...

Post by Xar »

... You are on queue to see "The Return of the King", and there are young people, no more than 15-16 years old, who say, "I know how it's going to end, I played the computer game already."

... Aragorn speaks Elendil's words during his incoronation, and someone from the front seats says, "he's singing like an idiot!".

... The whole people of Gondor kneels to the hobbits, and someone says, "There's the four imbeciles...".

... Sam asks Rosie Cotton, and someone says, "But she's so UGLY!".

... Someone looks at the Witch-King's mace and says, "That must be a compensation for something else that's small..."

... Frodo is stung by Shelob, and people laugh as if it were the funniest thing in the world.

... Shelob is creeping behind Frodo, and someone says, "look, that's spider-man!".

... Frodo awakens in Minas Tirith after being rescued from Mount Doom, and people complain that he's still alive, because "he is such a wimp".

... Pippin finds Merry after the battle in the Pelennor, and promises Merry he will take care of him, and people start wondering aloud whether the two hobbits are homosexual.
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

What was that? The movie audience from Hell? 8O :|
I would have started throwing things (preferably heavy things) around me after the first comment... The world is doomed, doomed I say.... ;)
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
snake0024
Ramen

Post by snake0024 »

that was quite funny to read, though it is sad to see things like this
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: You realize the world is diminishing when...

Post by Theo »

Xar wrote:... Pippin finds Merry after the battle in the Pelennor, and promises Merry he will take care of him, and people start wondering aloud whether the two hobbits are homosexual.
That's not even a joke. I've seen endless internet discussions about how gay Hobbits are or are not, after RotK. :) It's usually about Frodo and Sam, though. That started even after the first movie.

Of course, we knew already because we've read the Very Secret Diaries: www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Well there were speculations about Frodo and Sam even during the 60s when the book was really becoming known. Tolkien fervently dispelled such rumors, though.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

The sad thing is, it was not just ONE movie audience... those were gathered from the two times I went to see tRotK. There were more, but these were the most obnoxious, and I regret not carrying with me anything heavy with which to hit those people :evil:

After all, don't forget the unavoidable mobile phone ringing just during the climax ( "The Ring is-*mobile phone rings for a few moments*" ), or the group of seven or eight boys and girls occupying a whole row of seats, and chatting from one end of the row to another during the movie... the world is doomed indeed!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

This is precisely why I don't go to the movies that much anymore. I have not even seen ROTK yet, nor did I see the first two in the theater. It's much more pleasurable on DVD, where it's just our family gathered around to watch. I wanted to see this one in the theater, only because I didn't want to have to wait until August to see it. But, alas, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. All well and good, I'll see it eventually.

I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Star Wars, Episode II. My hubby and I took our kids. It's was so annoying, because sitting directly behind us was a man who was what I call an "obi-wan wannabe", for he was dressed as the Jedi right down to a very realistic looking light-saber. Anyway, "Obi Wan" had apparently seen this movie a hundred times already because he was saying the dialogue verbatim, rather loudly, right along with the characters. I finally turned around and said to him. "You know, I would really like to hear them tell this story, not you." He shut up. :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I have seen the movie twice, and didn't hear or experience a single negative thing from a fellow movie goer. :D :D
Love as thou wilt.

Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

second that dutchess..ive been twice too and havnt heard anyhting negative either :P
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Me niether.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Furls Fire wrote:I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Star Wars, Episode II. My hubby and I took our kids. It's was so annoying, because sitting directly behind us was a man who was what I call an "obi-wan wannabe", for he was dressed as the Jedi right down to a very realistic looking light-saber. Anyway, "Obi Wan" had apparently seen this movie a hundred times already because he was saying the dialogue verbatim, rather loudly, right along with the characters. I finally turned around and said to him. "You know, I would really like to hear them tell this story, not you." He shut up. :D
LOL! You tell em Furls. hehe, that would have been funny to hear though... Some sad loser knows all the words and is going along with them... :lol: freak.....

Ermingard wrote:What was that? The movie audience from Hell? 8O :|
I would have started throwing things (preferably heavy things) around me after the first comment... The world is doomed, doomed I say.... ;)
LOL!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm glad I don't live where ever Xar lives! 8O :roll:
fall far and well Pilots!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

You have my sympathies, Xar. Luckily, I was able to sit through ROTK without any disturbances; unfortunately, Mr. Cellphone reared its ugly head during Fellowship in '01.

In another thread, I mentioned how my enjoyment of Master & Commander was interrupted by a smoke-bomb that was thrown into the auditorium, causing the place to be evacuated.

As for Furls Fire's Star Wars experience: I thought the costumed crazies only showed up on opening day or something! I generally avoid a Star Wars movie during its first week, or even second. Like Furls, I've lost a fair amount of enthusiasm for moviegoing and would prefer to watch DVD's in peace and comfort.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

The story of my life... you can sit watching a movie you aren't all that interested in without any interruption, but when you're watching a movie you really enjoy, you can bet somebody will do something and spoil your fun ;)

I guess it's another corollary to Murphy's law ;)
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

J.R.R. Tolkien's priest son a focus of UK abuse inquiry in Birmingham archdiocese [In-Depth]
St. Chad Cathedral in Birmingham, England. (Credit: Tony Hisgett / CC BY 2.0 via Flickr)

LEICESTER, United Kingdom -- Allegations of abuse lodged against Father John Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings creator J.R.R. Tolkien, were discussed on Monday and Tuesday by a British government inquiry into abuse into the Archdiocese of Birmingham.

The priest, who died in 2003, was accused of making a group of boys strip naked during a camping trip in the 1950s, as well as abusing a child seeking help with his reading skills.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse is this week examining the Archdiocese of Birmingham's response to historic allegations made against several priests, including Tolkien.

The inquiry was established by the British Home Office -- which oversees similar areas as the U.S. Departments of Justice and Homeland Security -- but is independent and does not answer to the government.

The panel recently released a report on serial abuse in two Catholic prep schools in the north of England.

Birmingham Archbishop Bernard Longley will be testifying before the inquiry this week; Cardinal Vincent Nichols of Westminster, who headed the Birmingham archdiocese from 2000-2009, became ill at a Remembrance Sunday event and will not be able to offer testimony.

During his time as Archbishop of Birmingham, Nichols paid out several settlements for alleged victims of Tolkien, who consistently denied the charges against him.

[...]
​
​
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

πŸ˜” ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Horrible, horrible story.

But focusing on the Xar's experience in the cinema as documented in his first post - a similarly bad one I endured recently has decided me that I will no longer go to the cinema to see films, but rather will wait until I can view them at home where the type of behaviour that seems more suited to a visit to the pub on a Friday night than a viewing of a film does not tend to occur.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Fair enuff Pete.

True that would suck. I dont recall any problems seeing the movies in the cinema either .. and we took all the kids. That was a great number of years Boxing Day tradition.. we got through each new Harry Potter movie and the LOTRs movies.

No comparison to the extended versions though but still fun watches. πŸ˜‰πŸ‘Œ
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to β€œJ.R.R. Tolkien Forum”