Terisa and Geraden - Was it a good love story?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:(Not that I haven't had existential crises of my own, but they're usually the other way round. ;) I know I'm real...its the rest of the world I'm not sure about.
Ah...well, thank you for explaining it! I think someone on here once said that Terisa's existential problem was SRD's attempt to do Covenant's existential problem in reverse, or words to that effect. It's kind of interesting to contrast these two main Donaldson characters on that basis...for a few seconds, anyway. :!: ;)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yes, although the passivity is probably about the same. But Terisa couldn't care enough to do something, and TC cared too much to dare.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Teresa didn't believe in herself. Her passivity, her fading, her confusion about her reality, all arise from this. If she could have 'snapped out of it' on her own, there wouldn't really be a story. And if there wasn't a tension created from the disparity between how she behaves and how we think she should behave, there wouldn't be a good story. And in this, Teresa and Covenant are very much the same.
Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

Post by Kaos Arcanna »

wayfriend wrote:Teresa didn't believe in herself. Her passivity, her fading, her confusion about her reality, all arise from this. If she could have 'snapped out of it' on her own, there wouldn't really be a story. And if there wasn't a tension created from the disparity between how she behaves and how we think she should behave, there wouldn't be a good story. And in this, Teresa and Covenant are very much the same.
Hm... how do you think things would have worked out if Teresa and Covenant's roles had been reverse? Teresa had wound up in the Land and Covenant in Mordant?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:If she could have 'snapped out of it' on her own, there wouldn't really be a story.
Well, I suppose there could have been, but it would have been a different one. Damn, do you think SRD is a polemicist? ;)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Kaos Arcanna wrote:Hm... how do you think things would have worked out if Teresa and Covenant's roles had been reverse? Teresa had wound up in the Land and Covenant in Mordant?
It's a fun thought...the sight of Terisa would have convinced Triock to run off with her so they could both become Unfettered Ones, and he would have forgotten all about Lena; Master Eremis would have sent Saddith after Covenant to seduce him to the dark side. :twisted:
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Kaos Arcanna wrote: Hm... how do you think things would have worked out if Teresa and Covenant's roles had been reverse? Teresa had wound up in the Land and Covenant in Mordant?
So Terisa's white gold ring would be a white gold cross she got from the missionary? I imagine her and Lena running off together to have adventure and a raver in the role of Eremis

Meanwhile Covenant is all "Don't touch me!" with the metrosexual Eremis and Saddith fails to be scarred by the starnger's advances but eventually suffers disfigurement like in the books due to getting leprosy.

Return to “Mordant's Need”