Just Finished..

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Just Finished..

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Just finished The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever Lord Foul's Bane for the first time. I picked up all 6 books a month ago in perfect condition for about $25-30 or something like that, I forget, I do remember it being a great deal.

I picked it up because a friend of mine whom I trust to have good taste told me to pick it up.

Now, when I first got into it, I was excited, the writing was very mature and engrossing, I could tell it was epic fantasy, after the first few chapters or so.
When I got to the scene where
Spoiler
Lena was raped.

It just reallly shocked me. I'll refer to that scene as "the violence" so as not to spoil it for others.
Now, that scene was so vivid to me that I actually put down the book in disgust. It was kind of a clash of emotions for me. I was disgusted beyond belief at what the character had done, and yet at the same time, impressed that someone can write so well and paint a picture so vivid that I could recoil and feel the way I did about it.

Anyways, I had to set the book down, I started another an finished it and then came back and re-read the book and got to that scene and I was finally able to move on. Don't know what I'm really telling or saying here, but I find this to be one of the best fantasy books I've read in years and I've been reading fantasy for 15 years now, I've read most all the big authors, Jordan, Goodkind, Martin, Tad, Brooks, Weis & Hickman, Salvatore, Turtledove, Tolkien...and each of thoes books has their ups and downs and some are better than others and some are just mediocre, but this book hit me like Tolkien hit me when I was 12 and really got into Fantasy, WOW, thats all I can say, wow.
Last edited by FizbansTalking_Hat on Sat May 08, 2004 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

If you liked SRD's fantasy saga(?), try reading his sci-fi series, THE GAP.
It is as good as his other writings. (Though I haven't read any of the MORDANT books, but I seen many people rave about those also.)
Welcome to the club, FTH. :D
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just wait till your 2nd read--they get BETTER!! 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
Harri
Servant of the Land

Post by Harri »

I can second Danlo on that comment - the books do get better and better each time you reread them!
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

I'm assuming its like re-reading any other book that you really love, you pick up the subtleties that you missed the first time and get a different perspective on the novels. Anyways, its the first read for me and on to BOOK 2, wahoo, already into the first 10 pages, and its exciting, the great thing about having started into this series so late into my fantasy reading life, is the 6 major books are already released in paperback, so no waiting, at least until I catch up with everyone. Cheers.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I have read the entire chronicles at least 20 times, and I find something different every time. 8O

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

I've been chatting with Vson online and it has me thinking and wanting to ask a question. What do you feel about authors who attempt different genre as authors. The obvious SRD, has done fantasy and science fiction.

Dan Simmons has done Crime and Thriller, as well as Science Fiction.

Eric Van Lustbader, Mystery Eastern Philsophy Thriller, as well as Science Fiction blended with Fantasy.

What are your thoughts, are some authors attempting too much by doing this, do you care for only authors who stick with a style that they are good at, your thoughts, cheers.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

With "The Man Who.." books SRD has also done Crime. Zindell's expansion from Sci-Fi to Fantasy is doing very well, so far, with his Ea Cycle and David Brin wrote a recent non-fiction book called The Transparent Society which is excellent. Martin's Sci-Fi, especially Tuf Voyaging, is alot of fun. :D
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I'm always glad to see people break out a bit into other sorts of writing. I think it expands their skills.
Take Dan Simmons, for example. While his Hyperion/Endymion books are among my all time favorite science fiction books, his new sf series promises to be just as good, and maybe even better (if Olympos lives up to the begining of Illium.) 8) Somewhere in his various experiments of writing in various genres (horror, science fiction, crime fiction, and environmental fable) he has learned to express his sense of humor. :) I found myself laughing my head off at various places in Illium -- something I never did in the Hyperion/Endymion books. 8) Perhaps its just more experience and a resulting greater sense of confidence in his work. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Byrn
Giantfriend

Post by Byrn »

Zelazny blended Sci-Fi wth fantasy pretty well with The Chronicles of Amber. Sure it was more Fanstasy than Sci-fi, but the elements were there.

Heinlein's Glory Road is another good example. Scar is just a classic hero you can't help liking.
"What is the land to air speed ratio of a laden swallow?"
https://www.noiraqdraft.com/impact.php? ... a211109cb0
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Reading the Chronicles for the first time, especially LFB can be challenging and a lot of people are taken aback by the "violence". Many of them were like yourself who stopped LFB and went on to IEW then picking up LFB again or where they left off.

If you go to the Dissection area of the Chrons (here on KW) then I think you'll really enjoy reading the dissections and even adding in your own input which would offer us oldtimers a good fresh perspective.

I too was struck by the WOW factor of the chrons... I still favor the second chrons over the first but still manage to read all six once a year. Just can't get enough of those Bloodguard and Giants

Welcome to the fan club... grin :lol:
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Thanks for welcoming me to the club, and I'll check out that section when I have some time. Cheers and man oh man are you right, the WOW factor is there. Cheers.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Fiz wrote:Just finished The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
You confused me with that, I thought you just finished the 6th book-I didn't realize you had only finished LFB-man you are really in for a treat now! (Lucky dog! :D )
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Sorry about the confusion, I have gone back and edited the first post, I should have been more specific, so yeah I am in for a treat.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

oh Wow!! Just finished LFB??? Fasten your seatbelt then Fiz, my friend, because you are in for one wild ride!!! It only gets better and better!!! :D :D

Fair warning tho, if you wanted to throw the book across the room after
Spoiler
the rape of Lena
just wait until you get to The Wounded Land...I wanted to throw it in the fire place... broke my heart... :(

and the glory of the world becomes less than it was...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

You know, something else I've noticed, which I am sure the hardcore fans all know, but I just wanted to comment on, was the type of vocabulary used in fantasy series. It's very stimulating intellectually, challenges you to know your vocabulary. I am enjoying this style of reading, very much like LOTR, and Martin, as opposed to some other fantasy that doesn't really use the English Language to its fullest, *Cough, Ahem, -----> Points at David Eddings.

The way the paragraphs flow, descriptive, very nicely connnected, so much vivid imagry and good use of the English Language. I love this book, can't believe I went 15 or so years reading fantasy and science fictoin without having anyone reccomend me this series. I've read the greats, George R.R. Martin, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Tad Williams, Salvatore, Weis & Hickman, Hobb, etc... I consider myself to have great taste, but I just skipped over this book and series for so many years, ah well, point is I now have it, cheers.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

FizbansTalking_Hat wrote:I love this book, can't believe I went 15 or so years reading fantasy and science fictoin without having anyone reccomend me this series.
I frequent several gaming boards and "recommend some sci-fi/fantasy" threads come up all the time. I always plug SRD, both the TC series and the Gap series. I'm surprised how many frequent sci-fi/fantasy readers haven't read them. And it's usually "oh, that's that book about the 'violence'... not sure I want to read that"

It's sad really.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Honestly I had just never heard of the book, and now I feel bad, because it truly is one of the best epic fantasy series out there. It's just awesome. Cheers I say.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”