The REAL Harry Potter Movie Thread - Azkaban Watchers Here

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I didn't like Lupin or Siruis... like Roger (CovenantJr) said... they are very good actors on there part... but just don't seem fitting for the roles... then again... who would? :P
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I never pictured Sirius having nervous, verge-of-cracking energy; I always saw him as sort of haunted...like he's paid a visit to hell, and come back to discover things aren't much better here. Like the only thing that kept him sane and alive in Azkaban was sheer will.

Similarly, I imagined Lupin as a man who seems always to be carrying a burden... After all, becoming a murderous beast every full moon can't be an easy thing to live with. There must be guilt and dread...

But, as ever, those are my own interpretations.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Or sheer anger against Wormtail... I would have ripped that little rats tail out while i could...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Speedy reply while I was editing my post, there :roll:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Great! Now I look like a fool because my post doesn't make sense cause you edited yours... you will pay Roger... mark my words... oh yeah, here's a pie. *Hands Roger a pie.* :P
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

those last few complaints are due to the movie BEING RUSHED!!!

take a little more time to develop lupin's character...little more school time in general...definately more time for the twins..theyre a very big part of the comedic side of the books...and maybe more time on hermione's time...thing...uh, no pun intended..heh...i mean...she was all tired after a while and forgetful in the book, but all that happened was harry and ron asked when she arrived a couple times...bleh...
and yes, i was wating for the moment when harry realised who had made the marauder's map..i mean...how come he didnt ask how lupin knew what it was, when nobody but him and the twins did?

just no buildup dammit!@$!$@!!

as ive said, they could have used that extra 20 minutes the other two movies had...
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Maybe this has been said, I don't know... but they never explained how Lupin could read the Murauder's Map... I think the deal with him being Moony and the rest of them is a pretty important thing to be left out.

Pie and Cake
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I just got back from seeing Prisoner of Azkaban. I was planning to see another movie after it, if I had time, and I did have time, but I didn't want to spoil the impact of Prisoner.

I agree with those who say this is much better than the previous two. I enjoy Sorcercer's Stone a lot, but I thought Prisoner was wonderful.

The humor at the beginning was a breath of fresh air, and made me like the new director. Both the feathered beasts Hedwig and Buckbeak were gorgeous, so appealing I wanted to touch them. I liked Lupin very much indeed! Harry's first ride on Buckbeak was a beautiful thrill. I thought the quiddich game in a thunderstorm was fantastic.

I agree with those who say the new Dumbledore lacks the radiating kindness that Richard Harris gave him. I disagree about the dementors not being like the book: I think the movie translated intangibles to the screen as well as anyone would have. There had to be another way to show the escapable threat the dementors appeared to be, since people's reaction to them was mostly internal.

As far as the plot goes, we lost some subplots to time constraints, but what's there holds together very well. I had less trouble understanding the time loop from the movie than I did from the book.

It was a delight to discover Christopher Langham as the conductor of the Magic Bus. He made an indelible impression on me many years ago, on the Muppet Show. :)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

I really liked what was there. Alfonso Cauron brought in all the imagry and magic he did on "A Little Princess" and made this movie more "magical" I thought than the first two were. But, like others here, I thought it was rushed and too much "back story" was left out. Nothing was mentioned about how the "marauders" came to be Animages secretly, how they made the map in order to sneak into the Shrieking Shack where Lupin would be kept during his transformations. No mention of how strong the bound of friendship was between the four of them. There was no mention on why the Whomping Willow was actually there. The Shrieking Shack scene itself was way too short.

I didn't like David Thewlis as Lupin...he just didn't fit my image of him. Gary Oldman, tho, ROCKED as Sirius!! I just wished he had been in it more. The Dementors I thought were awesome! The creepy feeling they instilled was very much there. I missed the Firebolt as the Christmas mystery and the argument it caused between the trio. I missed all the Crookshanks stuff. I missed Fred and George. I missed Harry's birthday Owls. I missed alot of the day to day Hogwarts happenings.

But, I enjoyed the movie for what WAS in there. Buckbeak was simply awesome!!!

Oh, and I sure wish they would have had Ron's "phone call" to Harry at the beginning... sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!! :lol:
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

I'll wait for this to come out on DVD. Seeing this in the theater doesn't appeal to me.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Prisoner of Azkaban

Post by taraswizard »

FWIW, here's my $0.02. This is gonna be a bit contrarian. And I have talked a bit in chat about the movie. I have not seen the previous movies, nor seen read any of the books (yes, my want to read list, keeps growing). Liked the movies just fine (really thought the movie was great), and understood everything. However, I think the majorities, like generating big boxoffice receipts, are liking the movie just fine. And just like with LotR movies, there will be a hardheaded element that will insist the movies replicate everything in the books.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I've got this movie on dvd. If anyone else wants it, I'll send it to them. 8)
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

well, i for one dont think movie adaptations should take every single thing from the book, but only because of time contraints......it is supposed to be the same story, and the stuff that happens in teh book is supposed to happen in the movie...but...it IS an 'adaptation'...

hey, they did the first two movies just fine...this didnt work quite as well as the first two did...

the first two didnt follow the books exactly either
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

I'll wait for this come out on DVD.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Of course, Old Darth, it may turn out that you are one of those who think Azkaban is the best of the 3. :)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose

Return to “Flicks”