Empire Strikes Back was the best, bah to all who disagree

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Worm of Despite
Lord

Empire Strikes Back was the best, bah to all who disagree

Post by Worm of Despite »

I like what this Amazon.com reviewer said, and I quote:
Forgive me for saying this, but were it not for "Empire Strikes Back" I don't think we'd be talking about Star Wars like we do today, and George Lucas's ghastly new movies would be only sidebar mentions in movie-mags.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

<GASP> Lord Foul, you've uncovered the dark secret about Star Wars! 8O

What have you done?! Now no one around here will take Star Wars seriously anymore!

Oh wait. No one took Star Wars seriously after the whole Ewok thing, anyway. Never mind. :wink:
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I am in full support of every comment made so far. Star Wars woke us up but Empire made us pay attention. Were it not for the Ewoks Jedi may have been a worthy conclusion to the storyline. Menace is fairly bland prologue (a lot of people I know can't read Lord Foul's Bane because they cant get past "Golden Boy" but it is absolutely needed component) Menace might be boring but its information is important to the over all story. Attack of the Clones seems to reach a little further into genuine entertainment but it suffers badly from the emotionless acting between Christiansen and Portman. I still hold some small hope for the final film.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Empire = Art.

Episodes 1 & 2 = ABC Movies Of The Week.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Well I guess I'm to be "Bahed" because... I disagree... :P
___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

So do I. Episode IV was a milestone movie, and fully stands on its own. Episode VI was good, even if it was partially ruined by Ewoks. Episode I has great fight scenes, the outstanding Pod Race, and Jar-Jar isn't enough of a bad thing. Episode II is also good, though the Anakin/Padme romance needed more acting and less dialogue.
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah... and Padme is just beautiful *Goes dreamy*
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Darth, Mr Fixit. I'm sorry, but . . .

Bah.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I liked episode IV but loved V and thought VI was just too happy..... except for the Darth/Luke/Emperor Sidius fight which was truly great.

So yeah, Empire made it all worthwhile.

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Lord Foul wrote:Darth, Mr Fixit. I'm sorry, but . . .

Bah.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could you do it Lord Foul? Just how could you? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

I'm not EVEN going to touch the topics of Eps I and II they don't count in my book and never will. I'll watch Ep. III just to say that I hated that one as well.

A New Hope: Definitely I agree could've stood on it's own without any sequel (or YEECCHH prequel). Wonderful film and one of my best childhood memories.

Empire Strikes Back: Definitely good with the shocker of the decade thrown in for good measure.

Return Of The Jedi: Great except for those cutesy Ewoks. Lucas only put them in there to make the film sell more KIDS toys. For some reason he wanted some comic relief and some AWWWEs in the theater when Wicket first showed his pudgey furry face. Remember the little hand puppets that were supposedly Ewok children? C'mon pluzzzeeezzzeee. Then there was that christmas special... wasn't that widdle blonde girl cute? Almost as cute as an ewok huh?

Marketing, marketing, that's where Lucas belongs... among other places.

You can tell that Lucas did some serious drugs when he allowed the presence of JAR JAR :x to infiltrate his series. And widdle ANNIE! Grrr... grrr... NO 9 yr old kid is gonna be able to handle a device capable of moving at 700 miles per hour PERIOD... the g-forces would've squashed him and the control would've been just IMPOSSIBLE...
other voices: Oh, but he had the force helping him!
Bend down and bite me will ya! No kid is capable period. If you believe that then let your 9 year old or a neighbor's 9 yr. old drive your car at top speed.
Anakin the KID was just another marketing ploy to sell more toys. Lucas made more money from Star Wars merchandise than he did off the films.
Same thing with Widdle Boba Fett. Hmm Anakin is growed up... I know lets make Boba Fett a kid.

Oh and the "no father" thing with Annie... what the hell was that? A messiah complex?

BAH BAH BAH on episodes one and two
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

dANdeLION wrote:Empire = Art.

Episodes 1 & 2 = ABC Movies Of The Week.
LMAO Eloquently put :D
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Episode IV has some truly great scenes, along with the action and cliche...but I agree that Episode V is slightly better...

...that said, here's an Empire trailer with a nuanced beginning, thought it was really good: Empire Trailer
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Why was ESB the best?

Just curious.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Why was ESB the best?
Just curious.
This article explains most of the why.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

Star Wars equals good fun. I'm old enough to remember how groundbreaking it was.

Empire Strikes Back equals good film.

Return of the Muppets equals meh.

I'm pretending the others weren't even made. I put them in the same catagory with Highlander 2: the Quickening
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
High Lord Tolkien

Cail wrote:Here's why.

hahahahaha.....
damn you.
:twisted:

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

That's not funny goddamn it. (Ok it was a little bit funny but it was bloody bloody annoying.)
Kalkin wrote:I'm pretending the others weren't even made. I put them in the same catagory with Highlander 2: the Quickening
No way man. The prequels are nothing like the Highlander movie that didn't happen.

They didn't even really violate canon as far as I remember. (Except maybe about who Luke's mother was, and even then only if you consider the (sanctioned) novel series as such. (Which I do, pretty much.)

Now sure, they had some cringeworthy parts, and they didn't do the best job of some things, but they weren't that bad.

--A
High Lord Tolkien

Avatar wrote:That's not funny goddamn it. (Ok it was a little bit funny but it was bloody bloody annoying.)

--A
:lol:
Even worse, my Firefox is set to save tabs, so when I closed it via the taskmanager it just reopened. I was at work and I just put my head on my desk and laughed like crazy.

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”